GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone put a child in the front seat with a booster seat?

Just wanted to see how it works before I go get my car next week. It will be important it works fine for emergency scenarios in our house. I am guessing no one has but worth a shot lol...

Thanks,
P

·
Registered
341 Posts
Am I missing something here?? Booster seats go in the back seat.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't believe it is against the law to put a booster seat in the front but they recommend them in the rear. Anyone have proof boosters can't go in the front? Base on my previous posts here it appears a booster in the front is ok. Of course the rear is better but there are situations where I need to put my 5 year old daughter in the front. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Edit: I found this link saying it is ok

http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've never heard of putting a child's booster seat in the front, unless you can deactivate the airbag. Can you deactivate the front airbag in the Volt, what does the owner's manual state? Besides, there are occupant sensors in the front seat that can be interfeared with by a booster seat...not to mention the fact a booster seat could position your 5 year too close to the airbag, which could be life threatening in an accident. Bottom-line, if you can't deactive the front airbag, don't put a child in a booster in the front....peroid.

·
Registered
169 Posts
chiefs

Chiefs - thanks for bringing this up. We currently have 2 kids, but in the next couple years would like to have a 3rd. This means we may, in certain emergency situations where I have the day off but my wife is at work, need to use the Volt for 3 kids. By the time we have a 3rd kid, our twins should be about 3 or 4, so being able to put the kid in the front in these emergency situations is important.

THAT BEING SAID - does anyone know if the front air bag can be deactivated, as the Rooster mandated?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Check the Volt manual. I remember seeing something in there saying that the air bag will automatically be disabled when a booster seat is placed on it. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Don't know about the volt for sure, but my Pontiac has a sensor in the seat for the front passenger airbag. I feel safe saying I'm sure it does the same thing. (but you shouldn't - look at the manual, it's posted here)

Mike.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Don't forget to slide the front seat all the way back. Should the airbag go off, better to not be too close.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the airbag should not activate with a child in a booster seat in the front but I would like confirmation from someone who has tried it lol. The airbag sensor was discussed in another thread. The volt has sensors which should not activate the airbag. There is no way to completely disable the airbag though (aka a switch). I ask the question because I want to see if anyone else has confirmed the airbag doesn't activate when a booster seat and child are in the front. I am like pavers123 and in a couple years if we have a 3rd kid we may need to use the frog seat in emergency situations.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes the airbag should not activate with a child in a booster seat in the front but I would like confirmation from someone who has tried it lol. The airbag sensor was discussed in another thread. The volt has sensors which should not activate the airbag. There is no way to completely disable the airbag though (aka a switch). I ask the question because I want to see if anyone else has confirmed the airbag doesn't activate when a booster seat and child are in the front. I am like pavers123 and in a couple years if we have a 3rd kid we may need to use the frog seat in emergency situations.
Don't know if it will help, but my laptop and bag (trust me, it's over 20lbs - it's a 'desktop replacement' and laptop is a euphamism) don't trigger the airbag in my Pontiac. My 75lb dog does. The seat does register a weight however because the seat belt buzzer sounds. Also, the airbag indicator goes from blank to 'off' with some weight, then 'on' when the dog is there. (I don't let the dogs ride there, but it's the coveted spot when they get in the car first)

Mike

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Check the Volt manual. I remember seeing something in there saying that the air bag will automatically be disabled when a booster seat is placed on it. I could be wrong though.
How on earth is that possible? How will the car know if a booster seat is there?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Chiefs - thanks for bringing this up. We currently have 2 kids, but in the next couple years would like to have a 3rd. This means we may, in certain emergency situations where I have the day off but my wife is at work, need to use the Volt for 3 kids. By the time we have a 3rd kid, our twins should be about 3 or 4, so being able to put the kid in the front in these emergency situations is important.

THAT BEING SAID - does anyone know if the front air bag can be deactivated, as the Rooster mandated?
If a child is small enough to require a booster seat, they are too small for the front seat period. I don't need a law to tell me that is a bad idea.

If you're having a third child and plan to take all three someplace, use a different vehicle. Emergency situations come up, but planning for three little kids and a four seater is a bad idea.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I see a minivan in your future...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife is a pediatric surgical nurse at a Children's hospital here in the Twin Cities and when asked this question would basically come down on you like the wrath of God. Why? Because she's seen too many instances of parents trying to do this with terrible results. Best Advice: By the time the baby arrives get a 2016.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
My wife is a pediatric surgical nurse at a Children's hospital here in the Twin Cities and when asked this question would basically come down on you like the wrath of God. Why? Because she's seen too many instances of parents trying to do this with terrible results. Best Advice: By the time the baby arrives get a 2016.
Heh. Is there room for three carseats across the back of a Gen2? They're kind of bulky...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts