GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like the left foot rest is too tall. I would like to get or even 3D print a shorter one but I'm not sure if the floor is flat. I remember someone else with a leg condition asking a similar question a long time ago but I don't think the thread was conclusive.
Has anybody removed the footrest for any reason? Maybe there is a photo out there or some knowledge of what's underneath.
If not, I will probably get around to removing it to have a look at some point but there are so many knowledgeable folks here :)

Meant to post this in Gen2 forum. Sorry about that

·
Registered
648 Posts
I like mine so haven't changed it. But I did check it out. It's part of the carpet, not the floor! When I pulled on the carpet, the dead pedal was coming up with it. Felt like a formed piece of foam under the rubber cover. I think you could pull up the carpet and modify the dead pedal quite easily.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh, ok. You mean shorten the distance from the floorboard not shorten the vertical height of the pedal. I misinterpreted initially thinking change it from say 6 inches tall to 4 inches tall. You mean make it 24 inches from the seat cushion instead of 22 inches or whatever the actual numbers would be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This topic got my interest, as I have long legs so moving the foot rest away further would be great. So I started to investigate and discover that the material that forms the bump of the footrest is some firm, but not metal material, possibly modifiable. The issue I quickly discovered is that there is a heavy cable or wire harness that runs right through the space. It was pretty easy to determine that the project was going to be a bad idea.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So it was warm enough and I had some time to spend in my garage this weekend to try to figure this out. I yanked off the plastic door sill, unscrewed the plastic screw in the carpet up by the brake pedal and pulled the carpet back enough to see what was going on. There is a wiring harness, but the biggest culprit was a big piece of foam very well glued to the carped padding. So I yanked it off. I figure I could stick it back in if needed.

I just put the carpet back to see what difference it made. The footrest is now very soft because it is just the stiffness of the carpet keeping its shape. There definitely is more room, especially if I push a little down on the footrest because it gives pretty easily.

Still trying to figure out my next step. Maybe carve the foam down and put it back in. The carped probably needs to be cut and reconfigured a little to make the biggest difference. I do have pictures but I'm not sure how to post them. I'll edit and add them in if I can solve the riddle.

By the way, I have a gen2

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yes, pictures please. Interesting that there may be a solution. I notice it immediately on sitting in gen 2. On a short test drive, I can probably get used to it. But on longer drives, not so sure, I like to be able to stretch my left leg onto that pedal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2 pictures attached I hope. One is with the carpet peeled back. You can see the wiring harness. The foam is still attached to the carpet. The other picture is the foam block after removal.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tried to make other modifications to the seat, I wanted to make it so the base of the seat tipped backwards more to give thigh support. I didn't have much luck, I put some washers under the seat rails but it didn't make much difference. Would need to get fancy with welding to make a real difference, or mess with the padding. Anyway, from that experience I can tell you that moving the seat rails backwards would be difficult. Not sure what it would accomplish since the seat pretty much goes all the way back until it hits the back seat anyway.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thank you,, ,i had a very tall friend(german),,,he removed the whole front seat and drived from the back seat !!!...Something to consider. LOL

·
Registered
907 Posts
My issue has been that the dead pedal is closer than the accelerator pedal on gen 2. If my right leg is comfortable, my left leg is bent upward, uncomfortably. On my gen 1, I can straighten both legs the same.

The picture of a large cable running under the dead pedal is quite disturbing. I push down quite hard on that pedal sometime.

·
Registered
367 Posts
2 pictures attached I hope. One is with the carpet peeled back. You can see the wiring harness. The foam is still attached to the carpet. The other picture is the foam block after removal.
Would you please post pics of what the dead pedal area looks like now with the foam piece removed? And has removing it led to any issues with your foot pressing against the wiring harness?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i totally agree with you! i'm only 6 foot and the dead pedal being to tall was one of my first things I noticed about the car that I didn't like.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
re:

"I just put the carpet back to see what difference it made. The footrest is now very soft because it is just the stiffness of the carpet keeping its shape. There definitely is more room, especially if I push a little down on the footrest because it gives pretty easily."

This is really encouraging. Do you have a measurement for the extra space?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So it was warm enough and I had some time to spend in my garage this weekend to try to figure this out. I yanked off the plastic door sill, unscrewed the plastic screw in the carpet up by the brake pedal and pulled the carpet back enough to see what was going on. There is a wiring harness, but the biggest culprit was a big piece of foam very well glued to the carped padding. So I yanked it off. I figure I could stick it back in if needed.

I just put the carpet back to see what difference it made. The footrest is now very soft because it is just the stiffness of the carpet keeping its shape. There definitely is more room, especially if I push a little down on the footrest because it gives pretty easily.

Still trying to figure out my next step. Maybe carve the foam down and put it back in. The carped probably needs to be cut and reconfigured a little to make the biggest difference. I do have pictures but I'm not sure how to post them. I'll edit and add them in if I can solve the riddle.

By the way, I have a gen2
Hi JFudo --

Were you able to trim the foam block and get more usable legroom?

JED

·
Registered
12 Posts
JFudo --

BTW, were you able to post pics of the dead pedal area (& your foot) with the foam removed?

How has it worked out for you?

Thanks,

JED

1 - 20 of 20 Posts