GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what happened with the company that was going to make a Tesla Level-2 to J1772 Adapter? I still see the ads on insideevs, but the website says the kickstarter begins on 9/24 (it never did start). Maybe Tesla threatened to sue the guy?

https://jdapter.quickchargepower.com/

I was looking forward to getting one for my Volt since there are some Tesla location chargers near me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you have a Tesla independent charger or Tesla Network Charging station near you?

Down in the site they talked about how you should not be using the Tesla Supercharger network as those are only for Teslas.

I am guessing independent owners can make determinations.

Interesting concept though....most ChaDeMo charging stations I see are generally empty and I wish I could charge off them but the cost of eVgo in my arae is cost prohibitive......and Blink too.

Only semi reasonable network where I am is Chargepoint or Free (ClipperCreeks).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why the Tesla Adapter:

Tesla has a program where they put HPWC (L2 charger) in hotels and other locations for free, with the hotel paying for the juice.

Go onto Plugshare and filter the search for only HPWC locations. These are the L2 chargers that can help you for destination charging if you have an L2 J1772 car.

When traveling on vacation with an EV, the more adapters you have, the better.

The cool one would be a CHAdeMO DCFC adapter for a CCS car. This kind needs a board inside since the communication is different than CANbus, which is what J1772, Tesla, and CHAdeMO use.

So with a CHAdeMO, a HPWC, and a 14-50 (240 found at RV parks) adapter, you can go to many more destinations outside the CCS network or even L2 J1772 network.

Personally, I think Tesla should sell a subscription service and adapter to use their Superchargers with CCS and CHAdeMO cars. The stations that these will work at would only be those that are being underutilized. They would generate income to expand their network, and if Elon Musk's REAL goal is to make the world into an EV World, it would be in line with his actual words.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
...if Elon Musk's REAL goal is to make the world into an EV World, it would be in line with his actual words.
I agree that openly sharing the network would seem to be in line with promoting EV adoption, but if Tesla does not do that the way we would like, I think it is understandable. Tesla competitors are not exactly friendly, and are causing legal problems with the dealer issue, etc. so Tesla can't afford to help them out too much at this point. Maybe some day, but Tesla has to survive this stage in their development in order to promote EV adoption in the long term. Keeping the network proprietary is a good competitive advantage that will help them build the market share they need to thrive. If Tesla were to leave the auto market, I think that could slow or stop the EV development at most other auto makers.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I met and had a long chat with Tony at the Cupertino Drive Electric event a few weeks ago. He had a prototype of it there, along with JdeMO boxes and some other neat stuff. I didn't get any vibe that it isn't going to happen. Gotta remember they are a boutique operation, so very limited resources. We mostly talked about CCS vs CHAdeMO. (He hates CCS.)

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm on the mailing list for it, but yeah... the website referenced above is all I know.

If I could buy the Telsla inlet, I'd make one of these myself.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I would like to get one of these myself (hay, I'm a Model 3 reservation holder), but I envision some serious #TeslaRage if they see you using it.
If you want a customer/employee charger for work, a Tesla unit with a J1772 adapter would be the hot ticket:

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/wall-connector-with-24-cable

That's actually a pretty good price for a 10 kW L2 charger with a long cord. And it's pretty.

Without the Tesla adapter though, you have to put in 2 separate chargers.

·
Registered
907 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess we're moving in the right direction. Now the prices need to get under $150 to make it worthwhile. It's just a connector format change with pass-thru wiring. Shouldn't be this difficult or expensive.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Take a look at umc-j1772.com
@UMCJ1772

Care to introduce yourself? And the relationship between yourself, UMC-J1772.com, QuickChargePower and Tesla?

I suspect the new adapter doesn't use the original Tesla OEM inlet, but has been reverse engineered. Which I'm fine with, as long as everyone understands. I appreciate someone promoting this compatibility issue, I think it will lead to positive changes, and reaction from Tesla to clarify terms of use.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@UMCJ1772

Care to introduce yourself? And the relationship between yourself, UMC-J1772.com, QuickChargePower and Tesla?

I suspect the new adapter doesn't use the original Tesla OEM inlet, but has been reverse engineered. Which I'm fine with, as long as everyone understands. I appreciate someone promoting this compatibility issue, I think it will lead to positive changes, and reaction from Tesla to clarify terms of use.
Given the rediculous pricing, they probably are buying the inlets from Tesla. Why would anyone care, even if they're not? Maybe Tesla has a patent on the inlet. But, from a finctionality standpoint, I don't know why users would care.

·
Registered
907 Posts
they probably are buying the inlets from Tesla. Why would anyone care, even if they're not? Maybe Tesla has a patent on the inlet. But, from a finctionality standpoint, I don't know why users would care.
I've looked at their pictures of the contact pins. While I haven't done a tear down of a Tesla inlet, I suspect Tesla doesn't use set screws to hold in the primary HV B+, B- wires. If these adapters become popular enough, I'd expect Tesla to respond to protect their licensing rights and/or clarify terms of use agreements with the Destination Charge Station owners.

Energy is not free, no matter how convoluted the regulatory and political scene. Without changes, people will learn how to bring energy home every day from free charge stations and run their homes. I can do that today (partially), but it's hardly practical with a Gen 1 10KWHr useable battery. But with a 60-100KWHr battery?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the price gets reasonable and these adapters get popular, maybe it would concern Tesla. But, the bigger concern would be some idiot trying to connect to a supercharger with one. Though I doubt power would flow and cause injury/damage.

I agree that free charging can't last. We'll be telling our grandchildren about it in 30 years.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
..I agree that free charging can't last. We'll be telling our grandchildren about it in 30 years.
FREE EV POWER FOREVER !!

Yes it can be offered forever as the grids transition to only clean renewable sources.
It would be for the 'Greater Good' of society if we encouraged EV's. Volt owner's don't have to be told this, correct?

Listen to some of Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. talks about the future of Electric Power.

Of course you know who wants to save those 1300 jobs for the Turd Miners of Kentucky. :(

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
If the price gets reasonable and these adapters get popular, maybe it would concern Tesla. But, the bigger concern would be some idiot trying to connect to a supercharger with one. Though I doubt power would flow and cause injury/damage.

I agree that free charging can't last. We'll be telling our grandchildren about it in 30 years.
Why would it be a big concern for Tesla? Still won't work with Superchargers, and destination chargers are the responsibility of the location to manage.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why would it be a big concern for Tesla? Still won't work with Superchargers, and destination chargers are the responsibility of the location to manage.

I don't know how the safety protocols work on the Superchargers, but assume that no one would get electrocuted. But, Tesla wouldn't like it if pictures started surfacing of people trying to connect their Volts/Leafs/PPs/etc to superchargers using one of these adapters.

I agree that they would not care about destination charger usage. That's the location owners issue. Odds are most of them would not care, or have any idea about the unintended usage. I for one will buy one of these adapters if they get under $150. Nice to have the option to use Tesla destination chargers.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FREE EV POWER FOREVER !!

Yes it can be offered forever as the grids` transitions to only clean renewable sources.
It would be for the 'Greater Good' of society if we encouraged EV's. Volt owner's don't have to be told this, correct?

Listen to some of Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. talks about the future of Electric Power.

Of course you know who wants to save those 1300 jobs for the Turd Miners of Kentucky. :(

It would be nice, and I currently take every opportunity to get free power. But, it can't last as the number of EVs increases. Especially free Level-3 chargers. Making them free invites abuse, and then they're not available for people who really need to use them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts