GM Volt Forum banner

Would you be interested in performance tuning to make your Volt faster? Read post #1

• Yes

Votes: 342 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 109 24.2%
441 - 460 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I did not buy my Volt for financial reasons and I begrudge every gallon of terror-fluid that I have to put in my car.
Me too !

So buy a bigger, better car with EV capabilities. I sold my Volt to get that.

I went the other way. I bought a smaller car with much bigger EV capabilities. A <$14 Spark EV. Fast, Fun little car!!
The Bolt looks really good to me. But I get by fine with an 82 mile rated EV with DCFC capabilities. My metro area has +15 DCFC stations and +1000 L2's.
All free !! Haven't spent a dime in +19k miles.

If finances are not an issue, go put money down (today!) on the first Bolt you local dealer gets in !!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Me too !

So buy a bigger, better car with EV capabilities. I sold my Volt to get that.

I went the other way. I bought a smaller car with much bigger EV capabilities. A <$14 Spark EV. Fast, Fun little car!!
The Bolt looks really good to me. But I get by fine with an 82 mile rated EV with DCFC capabilities. My metro area has +15 DCFC stations and +1000 L2's.
All free !! Haven't spent a dime in +19k miles.

If finances are not an issue, go put money down (today!) on the first Bolt you local dealer gets in !!
Sadly, my town has no fast charging stations and too few public charging sites.

Luckily, one of those sites is at work, so I commute on electricity. However, many other trips require ISIS-liquid.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Sadly, my town has no fast charging stations and too few public charging sites....
How often would you be driving more than 200 miles in one day? Have you heard about the Chevy Bolt?
Are there DCFC stations in a 200 mile radius? Check Plugshare and use the filters. Are they where you need them?
If so, you are ready for the future of long range BEV's.

It would be so much nicer than McGyvering your Volt and buying a new battery pack. Probably a whole lot cheaper in the long run.

Progress marches on !!

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
Sadly, my town has no fast charging stations and too few public charging sites.

Luckily, one of those sites is at work, so I commute on electricity. However, many other trips require ISIS-liquid.
Looks like San Marcos Premium Outlets has a DCFC. So does a Chevy dealer out that way. Other than that there are about 50 charge locations of various kinds scattered around San Antonio.

I have a similar situation, but with the 238+ miles I can get in the Bolt, commuting the greater Chicago metro area is not a range issue. The car always has plenty of battery left over. We simply recharge at night at home using our 240V EVSE.

G

·
While perhaps most will be satisfied with the "newer is always improved" concept
- there still a portion of the user population who will not find that to be true.

For my particular overall tastes, after careful study, a used 2015 Gen1 Volt was the superior choice over a Gen2 Volt or a Bolt , or a new Leaf. Cost was not a big factor. We could have easily afforded a brand new volt , Bolt, or Leaf, or even a Tesla model 3.

We owned a 2012 Leaf for years and it was fine. I see the new Bolt vs new Leaf as a very close competition for the general user population- with the new Leaf being superior in some respects, the Bolt in others. But neither of those 2 cars fit our particular current tastes/driving needs as well as a Gen1 Volt.

I don't wish to argue or offend- just point out that newer isn't always better in all cases for all people, just as some with find the range extended EV like Gen2 Volt will be their preference to the EV-only choices.

G

·
In response to the OP question yes i would indeed like someone to offer a performance tune of the Volt. At least take away the rubber band throttle response. Someone please step up to the plate here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Mr. Joeyvolt:
I see that you are a Senior Member so you should have a bit of insight or feedback I'm hoping to get from someone who understands this situation. Is it normal for a dealership want to charge $700 for the message Service High Voltage Charging system? The dealership here in Ocala, Florida said the parts are like $60 both of them but the high bill is because of the labor?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello Mr. Joeyvolt:
I see that you are a Senior Member so you should have a bit of insight or feedback I'm hoping to get from someone who understands this situation. Is it normal for a dealership want to charge $700 for the message Service High Voltage Charging system? The dealership here in Ocala, Florida said the parts are like $60 both of them but the high bill is because of the labor?
Start a new thread. This one is about performance tuning. Although I do realize there are many hijackers in this thread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just go and purchase Hp Tuners software and dongle kit, I have modded my 2013 volt, I made normal mode performance and performance mode normal, and I up'ed the throttle response a little more than how it was originally setup in performance mode.

I have also increased the power of the ICE, so when I switch to HOLD mode, it use the battery power and the engine power when I go full throttle, and when the ICE kicks in, it feels like a turbo has kicked in.

You can't do much with the electric drive train, but you can remap the throttle and reduce the lag, but you can mess about with the ICE.

Another thing you can do is reduce the overall diameter of the wheels, this gives you incredible acceleration, then use a calibration module on each ABS sensor to alter the speed pulse signel to the BCM and then recalibrate the vehicle speed sensor via the HP Tuners software, Note: you must alter both ABS sensors and speed sensor as the BCM monitors both and if they differ more than something like 10kms for around 5 to 10 seconds it will through a code and go into limp mode.

So when I start my car, its always in enhanced performance mode, I then engage Hold mode when I want even more power, if you don't have Hold mode, there is an android app, that will connect to a bluetooth OBD dongle and will allow you to turn the ICE on with a full charge.

The KW being fed to the traction motors via the binnacle meter always reads much higher when the ICE is engaged, and with it engaged I can still drain the battery when pushing the car to its limits (driving like hoon)

I have also raised the rev limiter on the ICE, adjusted its spark timing to take better advantage of the premium fuel, and raised the expected torque across all vehicle speeds, so you notice when the ice kicks in, like stated above, it feels like a turbo has just engaged.

Hopefully this answers some peoples questions in this thread.

I love this car, it rips nearlly every car I have gone against from a stand still, even 6ltr V8 Commodores, rice burners, you name it, it makes all the difference when you have only one gear and three motors :), all of these other cars will eat me after 170kph as I still have not been able to eliminate the speed limiter, only managed to raise it from 160 to 170.

Also for those that are concerned, I have 80k on the clock, and my commute is 120km per day, I drain my battery flat 5 days week and it still has not lost 1 single k of range yet, the car has continued to shock me, all GM needs to do is take this same system and make a Colorado 4x4 and I will be set!

·
Registered
26 Posts
ABSOLUTELY! My last 3 cars are (all moderately- to heavily-modded) a Saab 9-3, and 2 different Civic Si's which I used to track on the weekends, as well as use as daily drivers. Now that I'm commuting much farther, and I need to save money for some big purchases, (and since the last 3 cars all ended up dying horrible, sometimes fiery deaths either on the track or street racing, lol), I decided to go with a car that's a LOT more...sensible.

That being said, I've been thoroughly surprised by my 2016 Volt Premium! It's a little heavy, but with the low center of gravity, I can tell with some nice sticky, <200 treadwear tires, this thing might actually handle damn well!

I'd be interested where you guys have found the "bottleneck" to be in the tuning, if you have in fact looked into this at all. By this, I mean in a typical stock-turbo car, for example, one could say the turbo's tuning is often the bottleneck: turn up the PSI in the ECU, and BOOM! 40+HP. It's not like optimizing the cam timing or anything like that would help much, it's (mainly) electrically driven. Have you guys been able to unlock what looks to be the 120kW max output on the electric motors (based on flooring it)?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
it's (mainly) electrically driven. Have you guys been able to unlock what looks to be the 120kW max output on the electric motors (based on flooring it)?
sure did,,bought a 2016 ELR w/ the perf.package, 196kW in sport mode.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The bottleneck is the battery kw output. Tuning the volt requires you to use hold mode, so both ice + battery can provide more than 110kw

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi,

First off I'd like to get out there that this is not a sales thread or anything. This thread is to gauge interest in tuning the Volt. We do not have an actual product for the Volt and we would pay vendor fees and all before we started marketing any products.

Now that that is out of the way- Is there any interest in tuning these? What if we were able to get sub 6 second 0-60 times out of these things? Curious to see what kind of interest there is first as we know most people don't buy the Volt to go fast.

This would be a select-able tune, so it would be active only in say sport mode maybe.

-Jerry
Bad News Racing
A modification to go fast would be nice. I'd also be interested in a modification so it could burn E-85.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The bottleneck is the battery kw output. Tuning the volt requires you to use hold mode, so both ice + battery can provide more than 110kw
The '16 ELR can hit 160kw in EV mode alone. That would wake a Volt up!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The '16 ELR can hit 160kw in EV mode alone. That would wake a Volt up!
166kW,,just did it yesterday.:pand I think I've seen higher in ev mode only.mine will instantly go up to 163 and ramp up a little after that.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
just an update,,I stayed in it a bit longer and hit 174Kw in tour mode and in sport I've seen as high as 194Kw.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Just go and purchase Hp Tuners software and dongle kit, I have modded my 2013 volt, I made normal mode performance and performance mode normal, and I up'ed the throttle response a little more than how it was originally setup in performance mode.
I also use HP tuners, any chance you would be willing to share your hpt file? I'd love to compare to mine and see what you've changed, I also have a 2013. I've been using HPT through a whole bunch of their beta releases surrounding the Gen1 platform and giving feedback, but I stopped mucking with it last year and haven't seen what they have unlocked recently.

441 - 460 of 467 Posts