GM Volt Forum banner

Would you be interested in performance tuning to make your Volt faster? Read post #1

• Yes

Votes: 342 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 109 24.2%
421 - 440 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I hear that when your battery dies and you get a new (or refurbished from GM?) pack, you get the 17.1KWh pack for your 16.0/16.5KWh Volt and you can use the higher capacity (out of the same SOC window). But not positive.

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
I hear that when your battery dies and you get a new (or refurbished from GM?) pack, you get the 17.1KWh pack for your 16.0/16.5KWh Volt and you can use the higher capacity (out of the same SOC window). But not positive.
The battery doesn't "die", it fades gracefully. Meaning it holds smaller and smaller charges. So at year 10 (or 15, or 20), you might have lost 30% of your range compared to year 1. The car still moves, the battery still works, just not as many electric miles. So in its old age the Volt would be driven more like a Prius, mostly gas with a little bit of electric boost.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes I agree. Though there is a possibility when it gets to be really old, internal resistance may become an issue, despite having a decent capacity remaining. So when it's floored, battery voltage drops too much and error codes flag, software goes into 'reduced propulsion' mode perhaps. Probably will last 20+ years before it gets to that point for most of them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Maybe as some years pass (And technology improves) an aftermarket company will offer a less expensive higher capacity replacement battery?

Would the Volt 1 software allow say a 200 mile battery to show up on the screen and integrate with the system like the 50 mile one does or are there limits to what is displayed like 2 digit battery mile number?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Maybe as some years pass (And technology improves) an aftermarket company will offer a less expensive higher capacity replacement battery?

Would the Volt 1 software allow say a 200 mile battery to show up on the screen and integrate with the system like the 50 mile one does or are there limits to what is displayed like 2 digit battery mile number?
Who knows for sure. However plenty of people installed large batteries in the trunks of their Prius' without a problem. They would get 100+ miles on a charge.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Who knows for sure. However plenty of people installed large batteries in the trunks of their Prius' without a problem. They would get 100+ miles on a charge.
At speeds less than 42 mph?
Do the research on this subject.
Even the factory Plug in Prius is limited to 62 mph, if you accelerate gently. And then only 6-11 miles range.

·
Registered
488 Posts
At speeds less than 42 mph?
Do the research on this subject.
Even the factory Plug in Prius is limited to 62 mph, if you accelerate gently. And then only 6-11 miles range.
I have friends that have done it and it was not speed limited. It is an aftermarket setup. The computer reads an overcharge in the battery and its programming make every effort to deplete the battery. Speed is not a factor. As long as the the aftermarket battery is in line and has sufficient charge the Prius will work to deplete the batter before running the ICE.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think the Prius still wants to warm up it's engine for emissions stuff, on a 2nd gen Prius at least. So you'd want to trick the coolant temperature sensor or something to prevent that. Also if you press the accelerator too much, the engine will come on to assist because the electric motors are not powerful enough to accelerate the car quickly on it's own.
4th Gen (2016+) may be different though of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you please contact me, I see this was in 2013 and is it still available?. I have a '13 and am in SWFl and wish to have an upgrade done, can bring you the car, thanks please let me know if still doing this.
I apologize guys, this IS only for the 2013 for right now. Not 2012s YET. We are going to work on getting it going for the 2012s. It was a typo on our site.

We are willing to GIVE someone a tune for free to do a review for us, but we are only getting responses from people with 1-2 posts or less. If you as a community can give me the name of someone that you trust to do this review, I will happily give them this for free.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You realize that BNRacing has not been active on this forum for almost two years?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
There is little market for making a Volt act like a Camaro, so performance tunes for a Volt are a niche market. Most of the tuning vendors have moved on.

However, I would love to remove the cap on my 2011's battery drain and just buy a new battery when necessary.

Why hasn't anyone in the tuning community offered this mod? By now, any firmware security GM utilized in 2010 is easily broken in 2016.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Why hasn't anyone in the tuning community offered this mod? By now, any firmware security GM utilized in 2010 is easily broken in 2016.
Warranty + Market size = No interest in development

At least that is what "they" think, when we start getting down the road another 4 years you will see more become available for the Gen I as the tools to handle the ancient car become more commonplace.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Screw the Volt acting like a Camaro stuff, I want the hack that allows the Gen 1 Volt's usable battery capacity to be unlocked to 80+% instead of the ~65% it is limited to.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Warranty + Market size = No interest in development
I don't understand why so many people on this board think that modifying a Volt will void the warranty. Please read it. If you can't find your warranty, it's online.

The only consequence of modifying your car is that GM won't pay any additional repair costs caused by the modifications. That's all. Full stop.

Think about all those pickup trucks with jacked up wheels and the stretch limos created by welding cars together. The warranty is still good, but the expense of dealing with the changes is on the owner.

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
I don't understand why so many people on this board think that modifying a Volt will void the warranty. Please read it. If you can't find your warranty, it's online.

The only consequence of modifying your car is that GM won't pay any additional repair costs caused by the modifications. That's all. Full stop.

Think about all those pickup trucks with jacked up wheels and the stretch limos created by welding cars together. The warranty is still good, but the expense of dealing with the changes is on the owner.
OK. So who pays when there is an issue with the battery or engine on a car that has been modified to change the way the engine or battery works? Dealers can be a pain even with an unmodified car, now throw mods into the mix and expect some unpleasantness. We've seen dealers blame tinted windows for TPMS issues for example. They were wrong, but you get the idea. Just seems simpler to leave the car stock and avoid the finger pointing hassles.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
....>However, I would love to remove the cap on my 2011's battery drain and just buy a new battery when necessary.
>>Why hasn't anyone in the tuning community offered this mod? ....
>Why not just buy a new battery now, with a new car wrapped around it? Have you heard of the Chevy Bolt?
>>Because it's a silly mod. The manufacturers know what the battery is capable of.
Why overload a battery pack and shorten its life?
There is no financial reason to do this.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

If you modify a part, you most likely void the warranty on that part (not the whole car, of course). If I put a turbo on an ICE and it causes damage to the ICE within the warranty period, no dealer is going to honor the ICE warranty. But if the windows won't roll down on that same car, they would fix that under warranty because the turbo had nothing to do with windows (though dealers have been known to get creative to deny warranty claims).

A Volt performance tune could very well stress most of the Voltec system (battery, inverters, motors, 4ET50) beyond what the OEM designed and I would expect warranty claims to be denied on those parts if they detected the tune. They'd still fix your windows, of course. So is getting a few more miles AER or a faster 0-60 time worth the risk of paying for a problem with those expensive parts? Not to me, but YMMV.

Pickup trucks with jacked up wheels would most likely not be able to claim warranty on any suspension parts/issues.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
>Why not just buy a new battery now, with a new car wrapped around it? Have you heard of the Chevy Bolt?
>>Because it's a silly mod. The manufacturers know what the battery is capable of.
Why overload a battery pack and shorten its life?
There is no financial reason to do this.
I did not buy my Volt for financial reasons and I begrudge every gallon of terror-fluid that I have to put in my car.

421 - 440 of 467 Posts