GM Volt Forum banner

Would you be interested in performance tuning to make your Volt faster? Read post #1

• Yes

Votes: 342 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 109 24.2%
1 - 20 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

First off I'd like to get out there that this is not a sales thread or anything. This thread is to gauge interest in tuning the Volt. We do not have an actual product for the Volt and we would pay vendor fees and all before we started marketing any products.

Now that that is out of the way- Is there any interest in tuning these? What if we were able to get sub 6 second 0-60 times out of these things? Curious to see what kind of interest there is first as we know most people don't buy the Volt to go fast.

This would be a select-able tune, so it would be active only in say sport mode maybe.

-Jerry
Bad News Racing

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although I'm not sure why you even started this thread. I can already tell you that you're going to get more yes than no.
You'd be surprised at the markets we've created parts and tuning for that people just weren't interested in. I mean we're probably going to buy a Volt for development if this pans out (which I think it will) and we just want to make sure we aren't wasting money and development time. That's all

·
Registered
277 Posts
What "type" of performance tuning are we talking about? I might be interested in :

- Higher capacity batteries
- More powerful electric engine (assuming it doesn't degrade any of the stock functionality, like regen)
- Suspension upgrades

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm assuming that your are strictly speaking of software tuning? In which case, I would love to have flashable performance software. Ideally yes, if you switch to 'sport mode' you actually get more power (ELR power would be a good start). Maybe 'hold mode' as well could be a performance tuned setting, where the engine kicks in additional power.

Some sort of selectable regen level would be cool.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would love to have more customizable LCD screens in my Volt. I would like a page on the center screen that showed more of the "under the hood" data like motor RPMs, clutch settings, battery SOC and KW, etc. also I would like a way to open up the SOC window of the battery, for people willing to take the risk accelerating battery wear.

If I want to drive a sub 6 second car, I'll just drive my NSX Zanadi edition ( actually I think it's a high 6 second car but who's complaining lol)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used to feel the need to quicken the Volt, but I recently bought a motorcycle and that thirst is quenched. If ever though, definitely after warranty expires.

·
Registered
313 Posts
let me choose

Perhaps offer a few more choices like keeping the normal and sport modes pretty much as is. Add options for "ER" (extended range), pretty much meaning lousy performance but better for the daily commute. Then one like "MA" (maximum acceleration), pretty much short range but a kick in the pants. Keep the mountain\hold modes as is. Choices are nice, and from comments I've seen in this site, most of us like to "play" with setting anyways. There have been times I'd like to dust the Camero, Mustang, etc. at the light. ;)

·
1,101 Posts
I guess I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to things like this.

Adding cabin air filters or tinting the windows is one thing.

But on a car this expensive, and this new, I just don't think I would like to play with the programming of this car. And I am sure that GM would just be thrilled when I had a problem I think is under warranty, and they see the software has been modified.

With over 10 million lines of code in the car, any changes could have may other effects on the operation of the car.

So I think I will leave it stock for now.....

JMHO

C-5277

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would only interested in longer range on electric. The Volt goes fast enough for me and drives like a sports car now.

Skip

2013 Blue Topaz

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
absolutely..... i want rid of the speed limiter. i politely asked my volt adviser what the unregulated speed of the car was and she didn't know....... i asked her to contact engineering and ask.... she called back 2 days later and said they wouldn't tell her..... i hate it when somebody is testing my intelligence. i would have been happy with a real figure from them but they simply gave a bllsht answer...... time to find out for myself. i used a hondata flashpro on my blown 300hp civic to reset it's speed limiter to 999. it can be done.......

·
8,680 Posts
absolutely..... i want rid of the speed limiter. i politely asked my volt adviser what the unregulated speed of the car was and she didn't know....... i asked her to contact engineering and ask.... she called back 2 days later and said they wouldn't tell her.....
Assuming you get lucky and MG B doesn't fly apart (remember, at 100 mph, it's already going ~9500 rpm,) I think the maximum for the car without a limiter from a pure power standpoint is probably in the 140 neighborhood - while the battery lasts.

Remember, we think the ~55 kW engine power requirement is sized from the 100 mph requirement - so after 5 minutes or so at 140 mph (maybe 10 minutes if you put it in Hold at the beginning? - 110 kW, 10 kWh usable,) you'd be back at 100 anyway. While electric motors are much better balanced than a gas engine, I'm not sure I'd want to have my Volt's running at over 13k...

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
If I was interested (I'm not) I'd want to see the OP show a tuned Volt and a warranty coverage for potential damage.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Assuming you get lucky and MG B doesn't fly apart (remember, at 100 mph, it's already going ~9500 rpm,) I think the maximum for the car without a limiter from a pure power standpoint is probably in the 140 neighborhood - while the battery lasts.

Remember, we think the ~55 kW engine power requirement is sized from the 100 mph requirement - so after 5 minutes or so at 140 mph (maybe 10 minutes if you put it in Hold at the beginning? - 110 kW, 10 kWh usable,) you'd be back at 100 anyway. While electric motors are much better balanced than a gas engine, I'm not sure I'd want to have my Volt's running at over 13k...
i understand the mechanical limitations.... i also know gm set it up very safe...... they set the electric car speed record with the ev1 at 183mph in 1994... they know very well how fast the volt will go, they elected to give a bs answer instead. my guess is the car would be good for 120-125 mph. torque makes a car quick, horsepower makes it fast.

1 - 20 of 467 Posts