GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Banned
154 Posts
I like that. Had I not already done the DIY homelink mod to the overhead console, I'd probably give that mirror a try. Its kinda Tesla-esque.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm planning on adding it to our '19 Premier (when it arrives )

The price for the Homelink as an option was pathetic. Idk if the factory ordered one comes on the mirror or in the overhead console. The mirror is easy to add on

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think it should work becuase the part number for auto dimming mirror is the same for 2017 and 2018

Edit: I checked the connector on my 2017 mirror (13581081) which is the same part number as 2018 and many other gm cars and it doesn't seem to match the one that's on gm's site.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought the Homelink mirror for my 2018 from the dealership. Got the part number from the accessories catalog on parts counter.

Somewhat disappointed. The garage door opener is battery operated and detachable from the mirror.

Pros:
The mirror is slightly larger than the original one and has edge to edge glass.
Detachable garage door opener can be removed from vehicle.

Cons:
Garage door opener works if car is off and locked.
Can be lost or stolen.

Have not installed it yet or programmed the remote. I'll report back any issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes I have received it. It was a plug and play very simple installation, very good quality, works great, was easy to program. Works only when ignition is on, has better auto dimming than the stock premier mirror. I am very happy with it and highly recommend.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks @Eodguy … please post a pic if you don't mind. I assume you just unbolt the old one, unclip any wiring and re-do with the new one?

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you are handy and want a cheaper option, in my last car, I went to the junkyard and bought a visor mounted homelink unit and wired it into the car. It cost me $10, but it was more work.

Also, every GM homelink I've had works when the car is off. I agree that I would prefer it only work when the car is on.

Another option that I use in addition to my homelink is a smart home garage door opener. I can control and get status of my garage door from my phone. It's not as convenient as the button in the car, but it's handy if you are outside and need to open the garage without running back in the house. I also have notifications pushed to my phone if the garage is left open for more than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Another option that I use in addition to my homelink is a smart home garage door opener. I can control and get status of my garage door from my phone. It's not as convenient as the button in the car, but it's handy if you are outside and need to open the garage without running back in the house. I also have notifications pushed to my phone if the garage is left open for more than 10 minutes.
I NEED this. It would be so nice to have. But I just replaced my garage door and opener earlier this year. I don't think the Genie unit I bought has this option.

Edit: I just checked and sure enough, Genie has their own version of this called Aladdin Connect. I just ordered it through Amazon. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I NEED this. It would be so nice to have. But I just replaced my garage door and opener earlier this year. I don't think the Genie unit I bought has this option.

Edit: I just checked and sure enough, Genie has their own version of this called Aladdin Connect. I just ordered it through Amazon. Thanks for the idea.
I use a universal one from Lowes by their Iris brand, along with a "Wink Hub". It just hooks up to the control terminal on the opener, in parallel with any buttons you have on the system.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I installed the Aladdin Connect a few days ago, and the installation was simple. Now I get notifications on my phone when the garage door has been left open, and I can close it from the app.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This is for motorcycles but is neat if you don't want the big remote clipped on your visor.

You'd have to hide the remote in the car (under the dash likely) and then use the cable to attach the button anywhere you wanted … may order 2 (1 for bike and 1 for Volt).

http://www.mo-door.com/

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks @Eodguy … please post a pic if you don't mind. I assume you just unbolt the old one, unclip any wiring and re-do with the new one?
mirror.jpg

Here is a picture of the mirror I got from ebay

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks ... is the outside silver or black plastic like the original?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like to live on the edge. I ordered the 2018 OEM mirror to put in my 2017. I'll let you know if it works, otherwise you'll be able to pick it up real cheap on eBay. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts