GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting all;

After few days of leasing my Volt about 2 weeks ago, I started getting these random TPMS service errors. Took it back to the dealership twice and they said that something electronic that I have is causing them.
Since I got my car back 3 days ago I have been glued trying to figure WHY I am getting them.
I think its my cell phone sitting on top of the dash attached to a windshield holder AAANNDDDD plugged in to the top of the dash little compartment with a lighter/USB adapter charger !!! :confused::(:mad::mad:

In the last 72 hours I received about 8 or 9 errors, that I took pictures of and sent them to the Volt advisor assisting me with this situation...... I don't believe I have seen any error/s so far with the phone not plugged in. I tried few different brands of USB adapters / micro-USB cables, but still not sure......

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions ?!?!

Thank you all in advance :)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Greeting all;...

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions ?!?!

Thank you all in advance :)
welcome
try a USB cord with a noise filter. it maybe the regulator in the 12Vto 5V converter (your lighter plug has a voltage converter built into it), The filter will solve some interference problems but not all, , you may have to get a better designed converter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try moving the phone Its interfering with the TPMS receiver. The Receiver on my 2012 is the box mounted to the windshield behind the rearview mirror on the right side. It has the receiver for the TPMS and the key fob.

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
By any chance you didn't have the windows tinted did you?
They guy who thought it might have been window tinting turned out to be a problem with a cheap chinese electronic gadget plugged into the cigarette lighter. So if the OP bought some really cheap Chinese knockoff power adapter or some electronic device, try removing that from the car to see if tpms resolves itself.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
and if it is a BACK tire giving a problem moving it to the front can be a work around as some times it is the sending electronics.
Then they can get you a new tire or sensor.

and note when you get the problem - ie the car NEXT to you is closer to the receiver than your back tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Possible solution found........

Again, thank you all for your comments and suggestions........ The good news is that I think I have solved this mystery..... maybe !?!? Oh, btw, I did not tint any window so far......

Anyhow, after trying few different power adapters and micro usb cables which kept giving me errors here and there, I decided to get on Amazon.com and search for THE BEST USB POWER ADAPTER money can buy.... Well, I came across this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LM45I2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Now, I plugged my micro usb cable into the 2A for Tablet plug to juice up my Nexus 5 phone, and for 2 days now have had ZERO TPMS errors !!!!!!
I am NOT going to change anything, just leave everything the way it is and see what happens...............
I am soooooooooooooo happppyyy :):eek::p:):eek::p:cool::cool:

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
Again, thank you all for your comments and suggestions........ The good news is that I think I have solved this mystery..... maybe !?!? Oh, btw, I did not tint any window so far......

Anyhow, after trying few different power adapters and micro usb cables which kept giving me errors here and there, I decided to get on Amazon.com and search for THE BEST USB POWER ADAPTER money can buy.... Well, I came across this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LM45I2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Now, I plugged my micro usb cable into the 2A for Tablet plug to juice up my Nexus 5 phone, and for 2 days now have had ZERO TPMS errors !!!!!!
I am NOT going to change anything, just leave everything the way it is and see what happens...............
I am soooooooooooooo happppyyy :):eek::p:):eek::p:cool::cool:
I so called it.... Cheap USB power supplies 2, tinted windows 0

·
Administrator
22,242 Posts
I so called it.... Cheap USB power supplies 2, tinted windows 0
Nice one, llninja! So this is the second time we have seen a USB power device cause errors with the TPMS.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nice one, llninja! So this is the second time we have seen a USB power device cause errors with the TPMS.
This just happened to me recently and I didn't know what the heck was going on until I read this. I had alarms in both rear tires, I removed that adapter all was done. This forum is great!

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
Yeah, a few weeks back someone was complaining because the dealership was claiming it was his window tinting that was blocking the signal, alas, that was easily checked and discounted by lowering the windows. It ended up being some power supply to some electronic gadget.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very little diagnostic assistance form the dealer

I took mine to the dealer twice (my car is 3 weeks old), they couldn't figure out and they advised me not to carry personal electronic devices while driving......... Huh..........whatever....

Anyhow, I am still without any DPMS errors as of right now...... I was sooo happy over the weekend that I did not need to deal with GM or their dealerships, at least for now, that I got around to install a 1-1/4" tow hitch and a slightly customized Allen 3-bike hitch-mount rack (I drilled new holes on the rack to bring it as close as I can to the bumper to avoid any accidental dip-hits)........ It looks great !!!!!!! Both hitch mount and bike rack installed......... drum beat.......... $180....... ;):):p:cool:

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Most Ham's will have some type of RFI meter if you need a suspected phone charger tested.

Even a hand held scanner can sniff out problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.