GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the holiday weekend my 2013 Volt's front passenger tire sustained sidewall damage.

I went to Discount Tire where I had bought tire replacement coverage. They replaced the tire but it would have taken a day or two to get the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires in stock. So I decided to get a pair of Yokohama YK740 GTX tires for the same price, which were both put in the rear.

Do any of you have the same Yokohama tires on your Volt and how do you like them? How does your EV range compare with your original Goodyears?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
No one has them, sorry.

But guessing they likely reduce range in a similar way as most any standard tire.

Luckily for you they are on the rear of the car, the rear tires have the least affect on RR so the overall impact will only be probably 3-5 miles.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rmay635703, I know some others have posted on other Yokohama tires, maybe this is still relatively new out there. I'll have to see how it affects my overall range. Today isn't a good day to measure it as it's quite warm, I have the AC in comfort mode, and I veered off my usual route.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So on my first trip on my regular route to work today the Guesstimator indicated I consumed 4.7 kWh for 22.7 miles. I am usually in the 4.4 to 4.8 kWh range before getting the 2 tires. So far so good.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After 6+ weeks with the Yokohama YK740 GTX tires on the rear, I decided that I needed to go back to Discount Tire to have them replaced. Over this time, I saw about a 10% decrease in my EV range (4-5 miles range) and on the few times I was using gas, it was also about 10% less mpg. I realize that some EV range loss is expected with newer tires but the 10% hit seems pretty high given that I only replaced 2 tires.

The other thing I noticed was tire noise on certain roads. When I first noticed it, I thought a truck was passing me, then I realized it was my rear tires making the noise.

In fairness, Discount Tire is true to their return policy, I only paid $33 mainly for the install of the replacement tires. Based on further research, I asked for them to replace the Yokohamas with the Continental PureContacts. I have only driven on them a couple of days, but my quick thoughts were: quieter than the Yokos, and yesterday it was estimating 50 miles on range. It would have been 46 had it been the Yokohamas.

Does anyone else have any experience with the PureContact tires?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I have never had pure contacts but the older LRR continentals I had on my insight one tire that wore faster despite frequent rotations.

Based on current reviews though the pure contacts rate quite highly among the folks here who have used them.

On this forum they provide quite nearly the same range as the OEM tires, except that they handle better.

Not a bad trade, better in most every way.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rmay635703, I'm definitely enjoying the smoother, quieter ride by having the PureContact tires on the rear. At some point I will replace the front tires as well, and will likely go with the PureContacts as well.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I have Continental TrueContacts (slightly different from the PureContacts mentioned above), for just a few hundred miles. They were only $115 and have a 90,000 mile warranty. Highly rated on tire rack.com. I am loving the quieter, smoother ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts