GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moderators, I'm dropping this into the 'other topics' section, please move it if there is a better location for this.

Anyone here have a Zero S Electric Motorcycle? I have wanted a motorcycle for a long time, I would love to have an electric one.

Thoughts and opinions?

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
High price even after incentives/rebates, don't hold their value as well as ICE and many folks miss shifting the gears (no gears or clutch) are the only real complaints...

Before you do anything, get your motorcycle's permit...Then attempt to test drive one and an ICE motorcycle (if you haven't before)...

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Its real hard to justify the purchase of a electric motorcycle when gas is $2.50 / gallon. You can buy perhaps 2 motorcycles with similar properties for less than a electric motorcycle. At least the Volt you can take a $7,500 Fed Tax Credit, if you qualify, and the Volt's battery management system is designed to last well over 200,000 miles from what I have read, and with the tax credit places it in the price range of the majority of cars available today...

·
Registered
313 Posts
I rode the first ever Edelweiss electric bike Alps tour in 2015 that used 2 earlier versions of the Zero. Comments:
Limited range- lunch stops required up to 2 hours for recharging in order to reach some destinations. Better now, but still a limiting
factor for taking a typical 200 mi. day ride.
Not much regen- even in long downhills, not much energy recovery. May be improved with current models.
Noisy drivetrain- pretty loud howl with increasing rpm. Current EV's are silent. Maybe new Zeros are, too.
GREAT torque at all rpm-Ability to catapult out of tight switchbacks with no shifting a real thrill. Light, nimble handling is a joy when
the bike is ridden hard. The bike is "flickable". Note: you can still kill yourself on this beast.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Note: you can still kill yourself on this beast.
Very good point and what's more common is someone else hits you and you get injured...Problem can be your job, if you go down, you may have court visits, doctor visits and other medical appt such as physical therapy all during business hours...If you job isn't "work-life balance friendly" may want to think twice...I do have a group of friends who all own dual sports and who drive cars/SUVs to work the majority of times, ride the bike once a week and monthly they take a trip to jawbone canyon or somewhere outside of San Diego...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have ridden both the Zero S and the Brammo Empulse. My take on both of them is that they are (in real life) range limited and too costly for the benefits of electric transportation. Both bikes have their features and issues. The Brammo seems to be a little heavier built with more substantial components than the Zero. The Brammo also has J1772 charging with a 3 KW charger standard---this is an option with the Zero. In the Zero's favor, it is quicker and has a more range than the Brammo. Also, the Zero lacks a transmission which is a blessing or a curse depending on how you use the bike. IMO, the six speed transmission and it's chain final drive is more trouble than it's worth.

The problem right now is the Zero is the only game in town. Brammo was sold to Polaris and re-branded as a Victory. Victory has closed its doors so the Brammo/Victory is history. If you really want to take a risk (and this might be similar in the future with Zero) you should look at the Victory Empulses left in dealer stock. I did and took the plunge. Starting with a 20K msrp I ended up getting the new bike for under 8K with the dealer begging me to get it out of his sight. I comes with a two year warranty and five years on the battery backed by Polaris. Buyer beware as Polaris doesn't seem to care about supporting these bikes but to date I haven't had an issue.

Bottom line, if you want to take the risk on one of these I think your best bet is with the Victory Empulse leftover. You are going to lose your investment no matter what you buy so minimize your exposure and go on the cheap. I learned my lesson earlier buying a Vectrix scooter and having the company fold with no parts availability---scrapped but using the NiMh batteries for a backup power supply.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a Zero S for commuting.
Over 15,000 miles on it so far.
Fast, nimble and easy to charge.

Little puts you more in touch with the frailty of the environment than humming along exposed surrounded by all the smoke belchers.

It isn't all about economics and the financial payouts:

In California 3.6% of vehicle registrations are motorcycles, and they account for just 1% of the transportation miles.... Yet 10% of smog producing particles can be attributed to motorcycles.

Asia is deep in 2cycle exhaust, and Electric Motorcycles & Mopeds are flying off the production lines, because of the benefits to public health.

So I encourage all to take a test drive and if it is not for you, tell a friend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts