GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a dashcam for a couple of years now and it was pretty much permanently on my '13 Volt.

It has definitely come in handy, especially when this lady, in a parking lot, backed into my car and claimed that I rear ended her. I showed her the dash cam and she changed her story real quick.

Anyway, I really miss the small compartment that was on top of the dash in the '13... it even came complete with a car charging port, which allowed me to not have to worry about concealing wires or snaking them throughout the car.

Unfortunately, as you all know, that feature is inexplicably gone (like the garage door opener).

Anyone have a setup that you'd like to show off? I am particularly looking for a setup that won't require any drilling (if that is needed) since this vehicle is a lease.

·
Banned
398 Posts
I do. It's mounted just in front of the mirror and taps power from there too. It's very clean. I'll post some pics in the morning.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, I look forward to seeing it! How did you tap into the power of the mirror? Sorry, I'm not very technically inclined when it comes to cars.

·
Registered
425 Posts
not a dashcam, but I mount my iPhone 6S+ directly above the main infotainment screen using a mount affixed to the dash instead of the windshield .... it sits just nicely above the main screen and does me well when I want to use Waze rather than onboard nav. (will see if I can get a pic)

[apologies for the dusty fingermarked screens - the camera flash shows up every little speck !!!]

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mounted a Cobra CDR 820, about $70 @ Amazon, behind the mirror on the driver's side and routed a 15 foot USB mini cable around the windshield, under the driver's side door weatherstripping, and plugged into a 2-port USB adapter (AmazonBasics 4 amp) in the cigarette lighter outlet. It turns on/off with the car and no mods necessary.

Vehicle Windshield Automotive exterior Car Glass Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Mid-size car

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm just waiting for the 12V to 5V DC converter to come in for my mobius actioncam. Shipping to Canada takes forever and even though I ordered it last week, it says it will arrive around Dec 16th. I also ordered a cable to extend the lens so that it can be even more stealthy.

Since the Gen2 electronics up there is completely covered now, I'll have to find a new wire that is a switched power source. can't use Techsavy's method to tap into the rear view mirror because it goes dead when in reverse. Once I figure this out, then as in the 2013 Volts, tuck the dc converter module up where the onstar module is, run the USB cable down to the mirror. Then affix the mobius cam somewhere behind it where nobody can see, but still have access to the memory card. Then run the lens extension down to the bottom of the black rectangle.

I try to take some pictures of the install, but it will be a while.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not a dashcam, but I mount my iPhone 6S+ directly above the main infotainment screen using a mount affixed to the dash instead of the windshield .... it sits just nicely above the main screen and does me well when I want to use Waze rather than onboard nav. (will see if I can get a pic)

[apologies for the dusty fingermarked screens - the camera flash shows up every little speck !!!]
That actually looks pretty good! I do something similar with my Nexus 6P but it's off the windshield and to the side, closer to the driver seat. I'm guessing you would only plug it in when you need to?

Mounted a Cobra CDR 820, about $70 @ Amazon, behind the mirror on the driver's side and routed a 15 foot USB mini cable around the windshield, under the driver's side door weatherstripping, and plugged into a 2-port USB adapter (AmazonBasics 4 amp) in the cigarette lighter outlet. It turns on/off with the car and no mods necessary.

View attachment 94202 View attachment 94210
Looks good! My current dashcam has a similar form factor to yours. How did you route the wires around the windshield? Were you able to tuck it in or did you have to use cable clips w/ adhesive? When I first got the car, I tried to feel around the borders of the windshield but couldn't feel any way to tuck it in, but that was a real short try to be honest so I'm not sure. I'll check it again.

I'm just waiting for the 12V to 5V DC converter to come in for my mobius actioncam. Shipping to Canada takes forever and even though I ordered it last week, it says it will arrive around Dec 16th. I also ordered a cable to extend the lens so that it can be even more stealthy.

Since the Gen2 electronics up there is completely covered now, I'll have to find a new wire that is a switched power source. can't use Techsavy's method to tap into the rear view mirror because it goes dead when in reverse. Once I figure this out, then as in the 2013 Volts, tuck the dc converter module up where the onstar module is, run the USB cable down to the mirror. Then affix the mobius cam somewhere behind it where nobody can see, but still have access to the memory card. Then run the lens extension down to the bottom of the black rectangle.

I try to take some pictures of the install, but it will be a while.
Awesome, I look forward to seeing that! Does your action cam have a g-sensor?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just tucked it in around the header at the top of the windshield, over to the rubber gasket on the door (see photo), down to the bottom of the dash and across to the USB adapter. The jumps to and from the door gasket and to the USB adapter line up with the breaks in the plastic trim. I'll pop those apart and hide the wire tomorrow - just got the car a few days ago and have been busy learning all about it.

Vehicle Vehicle door Car Automotive exterior Windshield

·
Registered
255 Posts
Awesome, I look forward to seeing that! Does your action cam have a g-sensor?
No. It's pretty much just a basic 1080p cam with no GPS and no g sensor. The only reason I got it is because it's small and doesn't have an LCD display. Shows the basic time and date overlay on the recordings which is about as sophisticated as it gets.

I also have a zsun wireless microsd card reader which I can use to view the clips should I need to do it. I just take the microsd card out of the mobius, insert it into the zsun, and plug it into one of the usb outlets in the car. Then wait for it's wireless AP to become ready and use my smartphone to connect to it. Then view the clips and play it on my phone or anything that has wireless and can play mp4 files.

·
Banned
398 Posts
No it was pretty easy. The plastic trim covers come off easily making access pretty easy. I'll see if I can get a pic. The only caveat is that the power goes off when reversing. Other than that, it is "ignition on."

·
Registered
425 Posts
That actually looks pretty good! I do something similar with my Nexus 6P but it's off the windshield and to the side, closer to the driver seat. I'm guessing you would only plug it in when you need to?
I guess so, but as I reverted to Waze for nav/traffic due to the crappy Sirius traffic included that is basically all the time. The photo makes it look a bit more obtrusive than it actually is. On my previous car I had the phone on the far left of the windshield near the driver door. that works well too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just completed my dashcam install today. I couldn't find power in the rearview mirror cavity so I guess that is an LTZ only option for the auto-dimming mirror. I mounted the camera on the driver side behind the mirror. Completely out of sight from the normal driving position. The rearview mirror cavity opens by popping the clasps near the headliner, tilting it down and pulling to the rear.

Feed the cable through and above the headliner. There is a little notch in the headliner which makes it easy.

Push the cable above the headliner with a spudger or similar tool. It's easiest to pull down the headliner a tiny bit and push the cable in.

Push the cable into the joint at the A pillar.

All the way around to the weather stripping. Tuck it under the plastic corner so you don't get a bulge in the weather stripping.

Push it under the weatherstripping with a finger all the way down to the bottom of the glove box.

This part is a little tricky to make clean. Push the cable under the upper plastic. Make sure to push it far enough to clear the lip that extends underneath the top plastic.

This shows how the plastic parts are arranged. I found it easier to start from the left and loop the cable around and above the green plastic tab at the bottom of the glovebox that extends forward. Then push the cable up under the blue plastic far enough so it clears the red plastic tab that extends underneath the blue part. If you did it right, everything should fit back together like stock.

From there, it's easy to route the cable under the top edge of the floor carpet and along the center console plastic. There's lots of room under this panel so push up all the excess cable. I tried going up the 45 degree seam but there was not enough room and the cable pushed the panel out too much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just did mine yesterday and seems to be working well so far.

Here's where mine is mounted. Used the mount that came with the cam, and this was the only location that doesn't block driver's view. It hides behind the rearview mirror.
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Family car

Parts needed: tap-a-fuse; 12V to 5V USB converter; a USB plug that I ripped out of an old cable (you may not need one if the cable came in the box with the dashcam has a USB plug. Mine didn't)
I had all the tools (soldering iron, heatshrinks, etc) already, so that saved some cost
Then they are all soldered/shrinkwrapped together like below:
Wire Cable Electronics Technology Electronic device

I ran the cable from the dashcam similar to post#14, but to the driver's side instead, and terminated inside the fuse box. Then connected the tap-a-fuse to F36, which is a switched supply
Electronics Electronic component Technology Electronic device Space

Next, connect ground pin to something metal. I just wrapped it around a hole beside the fuse box. For extra safety, electrical tape is added :cool:
Technology Vehicle Bumper Auto part Electronic device

Finally, tuck away the converter and the extra wires so they're all clean.

Overall, it was pretty easy process after going over previous postings. Thanks all for those helped!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Good thread guys. I wish they'd give up a place specifically to put a camera or otherwise built on in the car behind the rear view mirror.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts