GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Spark EV may be my next car, my only car. I am just curious if anyone has run it out of juice. What did you do? My work is only 18 miles from where I live. I have level 2 charging at home and I live in a city with a lot of charging points, so I am not really worried about it, but at the same time I am concerned just a bit. My second questions is, do you have or keep a spare level 2 charger? I currently have a Volt and the lease is up soon and the warranty on the level 2 charger is up soon too. Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you can charge while at work, I would not worry about your level 2 evse until it actually fails. Even without workplace charging, if another public charging station is available, I still would wait till failure occurs. If your evse is a Clipper Creek, very little to worry about. Hope you enjoy the Spark.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, I have run it out of energy on purpose for testing ... the only real thing you can do is either find a nearby plug or get a tow. Unless of course, AAA (or someone else) has one of these in your area: http://newsroom.aaa.com/2011/07/ev-charging-statio/
If there is a local EV charging truck available, might be worth checking whether it has the SAE fast charge plug on it.

I wouldn't worry too much about a backup 220V EVSE - if for some reason you had an issue with the one you own, you could likely get by with a 110V wall plug charger until it gets fixed. If you wanted you could even "simulate" this scenario for a week by using only your 110V to see if you could get by. Of course make sure that your 110V circuitry is capable of safely handling such a load before plugging in. One useful resource can be found here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?48937-120V-Charging-FAQ

·
Premium Member
19,942 Posts
You never run out of battery on an electric. You learn how far you can go and, if you need to go further, you don't take it. There is some inconvenience sometimes but running out of battery is pretty fictional. The only times I've known this to happen was when people first got their Nissan Leafs, and that was only because the range estimator on the Leaf was completely misleading.

Agree with Dave that you could likely get by with a 120v charger in a pinch. You get 5 miles an hour and your car is likely sitting in the garage for ten hours a day. Wouldn't want to do it as a steady diet but as a backup it would be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you're REALLY concerned about it, I'd install a 240V (or 208V) socket in your garage, and use a plug-in L2 charger (as mentioned previously, Clipper Creek makes nice ones). Then, if your L2 fails, a phone call and a credit card should get you a new L2 charger in a day or two. It might be quick & free if the old one is under warranty. In the mean time, you can use the L1 charger that came with the car.

If you're REALLY REALLY concerned about it, I'd install a 240V (or 208V) socket in your garage, use a plug-in L2 charger, and have a spare L2 charger on the shelf. That way, if your L2 fails, you just swap it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts