GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like all my cars to be as dent and scratch free as possible so I always try to park my vehicles as far away from other cars as possible. I get upset when people just sling their doors open and damage my vehicles. That's why i always carefully open my car door when getting out of my car because I don't want to damage other people's cars either.

Now that we have the new Volt, I make an extra effort to park it in a spot where only one vehicle can be parked by it. Also, I put the sunscreens in the dash of my cars, whenever I exit them during the daytime. The Volt we bought came with a neat Volt sunscreen included with the car. It also had the car cover included too so I even have put the cover on the Volt car when I am going to be gone from the car for awhile.

I think the Volt is a beautiful car so I hope to keep it looking "brand new" as long as possible. ...anyone else out there like me?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I feel the same way as you! The Volt is the first new car I've bought in over 20 years and I'd like to keep it as new for as long as possible. Sometimes if I can't find a suitable remote parking space, I go shop someplace else. The only real issue I've had with parking spaces is where Semaconnect placed their EV charge stations. There are two of them right in front of a grocery store. "DANGER....DANGER...WILL ROBINSON!!"

Volt 63

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel the same way as you! The Volt is the first new car I've bought in over 20 years and I'd like to keep it as new for as long as possible. Sometimes if I can't find a suitable remote parking space, I go shop someplace else. The only real issue I've had with parking spaces is where Semaconnect placed their EV charge stations. There are two of them right in front of a grocery store. "DANGER....DANGER...WILL ROBINSON!!"

Volt 63
Wow, I totally agree with you danger, DANGER!!!! I wish we had places close to where I live and where I work so that I could plug in my Volt but not yet,sigh:(

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also wish we had some snow like where you live.....it is starting to get HOT again here in Texas!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
My tip of the day, don't park next to 2 door cars. They are the worst. It's better to park next to SUV's since they just pour themselves out of the vehicle after cracking the door open.

Have a paintless dent removal guy you can trust on speed dial to sleep easier for those inevitable dings.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I always park My Volt (RedRocket) away from everyone else. A little longer walk to the store is worth the reduction in door dings!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It's getting hot here, but when you live in the North and see how all that road salt, gravel, and extreme cold literally kills every part of your precious car, you'll always wish you were back in South Texas. It's criminal what they subject cars to up there.

Also wish we had some snow like where you live.....it is starting to get HOT again here in Texas!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I too plan on keeping my Volt for a long time, but the vinyl scares me the most over the long haul. I hate vinyl on cars, over time the sun and salt will really bleach it out down here in Florida. The best product I've found to keep it looking new, or reconditioning it is Vinylex. amazon sells it if you're interested. Oh ya, the clear bra, and dr. colorchip can help keep a car looking new too.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Vinylex is amazing! It also works great on interior plastic to give it a fresh look without the Armor All greasy/cheesy look.

Of course you could just paint that plastic, but we don't really need to go there...

P1070551 (Medium).jpg

I too plan on keeping my Volt for a long time, but the vinyl scares me the most over the long haul. I hate vinyl on cars, over time the sun and salt will really bleach it out down here in Florida. The best product I've found to keep it looking new, or reconditioning it is Vinylex. amazon sells it if you're interested. Oh ya, the clear bra, and dr. colorchip can help keep a car looking new too.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
For years I have parked the car far away from other vehicles. As the years pass, the dealerships comment on how nice the car looks. Think of the repair cost and time to repair, why not be healthier and spend that time walking further to save the door ding.

Remember to examine the slant of a parking lot and avoid parking where carts would roll in your direction.

For those who cannot walk too far, the handicap parking spaces have extra protection. I miss using those, now that Mom is no longer sitting in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the infomration about the Vinylex-I definately will buy a bottle and try it out. I use Armour All and it definately is slick/greasy!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
We now own our Volt for 2 months today. But, even with careful parking, somehow we have a dint already in the back door on the driver's side. Small speck of red on our white Volt leads us to believe someone with a red car door hit it. Could have been a shopping cart, but there was only one dent. Sigh.. didn't take long at all...

Paul (Cari's husband)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have a paintless dent removal guy you can trust on speed dial to sleep easier for those inevitable dings.
You are right about that! I had a small ding on the driver's side door that was annoying me for weeks before I drove by a body shop and got the business card of a paintless dent guy. He did a great job on that one and even found and fixed another one on the the passenger side door that I hadn't noticed. I am now a believer in this black magic!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
That's funny, a lot of us up here (Wisconsin, in my case) wish for just the opposite! Personally, at 41 years old, I've seen enough of the white [email protected] to last me a lifetime.

Heat can be lousy too, but at least you'll never throw out your back shoveling it :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
That's funny, a lot of us up here (Wisconsin, in my case) wish for just the opposite! Personally, at 41 years old, I've seen enough of the white [email protected] to last me a lifetime.

Heat can be lousy too, but at least you'll never throw out your back shoveling it :D
There are limits on both. It can get too hot and too much snow. My feelings have never changed over the years. If it is hot, you can only strip down to no clothes. You would/could still be hot. If it is cold, you can always add more clothes or warmer clothes. I prefer the cold.

Paul (Cari's husband)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts