GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this forum I saw a Volt red car was totaled and it made me think back to something I have heard and known to be true in my experience...that red cars are hit by others more than other colors of cars. A red Camaro we owned was hit 7 different times by other people and my red 350 z car was rear ended by a person that didn't stop when I was stopped by a highway patrol officer due to an accident. In fact in one of the accidents, my spouse and I were exiting a convenience store and walked out to see a truck back over the front hood of our red camaro. We had just gotten the car out of the shop after someone else had hit it and were on our way to give our car to our daughter to use at Texas A & M when our car was wrecked at the store.

I had a lot of misgivings about buying another red car but I thought surely no one would hit it too but I was wrong... In my z car wreck, a Texas highway patrol officer stopped all traffic due to an accident when a guy driving a ford f250 topped the hill and wasn't paying attention to the stopped traffic and ran into the back end of my car wrecking it and was only 3 months old!

I was just curious if other red car owners have had the bad luck we have had with our red cars. In all the wrecks, our red cars were hit by people not paying attention so the accidents were not charged against us. I was beginning to think though that there must be an invisible red bullseye painted on our cars because people would say they didn't see the cars...it's red for Petes sake, how can you NOT see Red cars?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Hmmm not me I have a Red 2007 CTS-V and not a lick of trouble.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Bought my 2004 Red Mazda6 sport wagon in January 2005. Never hit anyone, nobody has hit me... (yet) and doing fine after 112K miles. It's the only red vehicle I've ever had and allmost all my prior vehicles have been dinged or worse over the course of time.

I think it must be Red sports cars and not red cars in general.

As far as not seeing cars, I think grey and some blues blend in to the asphalt more than red.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have owned two red Suburbans; neither one was involved in an accident. But then again, they were Suburbans.

·
Registered
273 Posts
In my 50 years of car buying, I've owned 3 red cars. All 3 were hit by someone.

I ordered a red Volt, but could not work with the dealer and ended up with a black Volt. Maybe this is for the better....

·
Registered
571 Posts
There is the old saying that red cars are bad luck. I have so far had three small incidents. First one had major blow out 3 days after getting the car, required new tire. Second one ran over someone’s broken tailpipe, could not avoid it due to traffic damaged the hard part of the front spoiler and put small scrape just below the turn signal lamp. I broke the antenna at a car wash that I was not familiar with. My wife said that I have had my three pieces of bad luck and that nothing else will happen. Hope she is right, as she insisted on the red color, I like it but all my red cars have had incidents connected to them. I am trying not to be a superstitious person, but!

Other then the above bad things, the car has been solid…

Pat

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I believe that certain types of people are drawn to certain cars and colors. So it's more likely that people that prefer red cars are more accident prone. A lot of people that have been hit by someone else did something to make that hit more likely.

For example, if you ran over a tail pipe, chances are you weren't paying the attention you should have to avoid it or you were following too closely to the vehicle in front of you to give yourself time to react properly.

I'm not inventing any new concept, it's why they have this thing called defensive driving.

In 6 years of owning a bright red 911, I never hit anyone and no one hit me. But that's just me in every color car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe that certain types of people are drawn to certain cars and colors. So it's more likely that people that prefer red cars are more accident prone. A lot of people that have been hit by someone else did something to make that hit following too closely to the vehicle in front of you to give yourself time to react properly. (

Maybe some people did do stupid things but I can tell you our red Camaro was parked and not even being driven when it was hit four of the 7 times it was hit. Being accident prone has nothing to do with a driver when idiots hit the car when no one is even in the car. We decided to sell the Camaro because people hit it in a convenience store parking lot even in OWN driveway and they all said they didn't see the car! I stiill say how can you not notice a red car!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, gee, actually there might be some truth to that. See "PURKINJE SHIFT" at:

http://www.aoa.org/x5352.xml

which says "Rods and cones are not equally sensitive to visible wavelengths of light. Unlike the cones, rods are more sensitive to blue light and are not sensitive to wavelengths greater than about 640nm, the red portion of the visible spectrum."

Rods are for night vision and cones are for color vision. Which implies that at periods of low light levels it might actually be harder to see a red car than a blue car. On the drive in to work this morning it was raining and dark and I noticed it was a bit hard to see the red Subaru I had stopped behind.

So it sounds like this is something for the MythBusters to look into. Perhaps they can blow something up along the way.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Back in the 50s or 60s I recall Mercedes did a major study of car visibility related to safety and avoiding being hit in an accident. Their engineers determined that WHITE was the safest color, by far. Darker colors like red and black were the most likely to get hit.... I believe the result of this study is what led the rental car companies to order most of their car fleets to be delivered in white.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I believe that certain types of people are drawn to certain cars and colors. So it's more likely that people that prefer red cars are more accident prone. A lot of people that have been hit by someone else did something to make that hit more likely.

For example, if you ran over a tail pipe, chances are you weren't paying the attention you should have to avoid it or you were following too closely to the vehicle in front of you to give yourself time to react properly.

I'm not inventing any new concept, it's why they have this thing called defensive driving.

In 6 years of owning a bright red 911, I never hit anyone and no one hit me. But that's just me in every color car.
Well, I am happy for you. But you are making assumptions, that if you had read the statement would have seen that I saw the object, but could not avoid due to traffic and had no room to maneuver. Believe me I would have if I could have... I also have a grey and a blue cars in my collection, nothing as fancy as your 911. Never had a mishap with those cars and both have a combined milage of 270,000 miles. Only had one blow out in all those miles. Had the RED volt 3 days... Luck is Luck and all the skill in the world will not keep you safe.

I was very incensed by your comment of "certain types of people" , so what type of person do you think I am. You got that fabulous insight from one single post, my, you are something special, aren't you! You definitely showed me what you are.

Have a good and lucky life...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.