GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else getting told they have to pay onstar to check their car status?

So my free Onstar services expired last month. Not having used them even once in the 3 years, I shrugged. According to my car manual, the GM website, and the paper Onstar sent me I would retain app access to car status and lock/unlock functionality.

When my account expired, they disabled all car access. I can't get my car status, I can't remote lock/unlock/start the car, nothing. App says "you must upgrade your account"

Both my chevy dealer (who has always been useless) and Onstar have told me that I have to pay $25/month minimum to have that service, even when presented with their own paperwork that says the opposite. So after 30 days wasting time trying to argue this, we're going to court. My lawyer assures me that we have overwhelming evidence to win this case.

I assume they are pulling this stunt on others. If so, wanna make it a class-action suit?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the free Onstar services on my Spark EV expired last month. Not having used them even once in the 3 years, I shrugged. According to my car manual, the GM website, and the paper Onstar sent me I would retain app access to car status and lock/unlock functionality.

When my account expired, they disabled all car access. I can't get my car status, I can't remote lock/unlock/start the car, nothing. App says "you must upgrade your account"

Both my chevy dealer (who has always been useless) and Onstar have told me that I have to pay $25/month minimum to have that service, even when presented with their own paperwork that says the opposite. So after 30 days wasting time trying to argue this, we're going to court. My lawyer assures me that we have overwhelming evidence to win this case.

I assume they are pulling this stunt on others. If so, wanna make it a class-action suit?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
warning for Bolt owners--Chevy lied to you.

When I bought my Spark, Chevy said that we got free car status, lock/unlock/start control through the app for life, whether we renewed the free onstar services or not. And yeah, it says that in the purchase agreement, in the car manual, and in the onstar service manual.

It's a lie.

My free Onstar services on my Spark EV expired last month. Not having used them even once in the 3 years, I shrugged. According to my car manual, the GM website, and the paper Onstar sent me I would retain app access to car status and lock/unlock functionality.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
You realize that the same offer was extended to Volt owners, right?

Many of us have owned our Volts for far longer, and those services still work. This could be isolated to your experience.

I'm surprised you went to a lawyer before contacting GM corporate. They might not resolve your issue now (it would have to be escalated to their legal department).

·
Registered
514 Posts
Don't you love it when someone has an issue that is *so important* that it needs three identical threads on the forum??

Maybe a moderator can combine all three of these into one thread for us?

Don

·
1,027 Posts
I'll never pay Onstar a dime and when my 5 years of keyfob are up I'm having them brick the unit in my car and I'm going to blacklist the imei ( banned from every cell network in the US ) through work, because I can.

That said, when my trial expired it switched to the keyfob plan and It it works exactly as it did before. Actually it's better since Onstar isn't farking with everything, bricking their app and I wasn't even able to use it for 6 months.

I still get reports, still get charge notifications and such and I still can remote start, unlock and see my charge and location even though I get at least a letter a week telling me my Onstar has ended and they are going to unleash a pack of deer in front of my car or break my legs at night and leave me abandoned in my car helpless if I don't renew immediately at an extortion level prices. LOL.

·
1,027 Posts
Any lawyer WILL file for class action if you pay them to do it, the court has to accept and certify it for it to become valid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The option to file a class action is a decision made by your attorney.
Any lawyer WILL file for class action if you pay them to do it, the court has to accept and certify it for it to become valid.
Sorry, let me be clear. I'm not looking for legal advice. My lawyer has stated that this could easily be made into a class action suit. I am asking people here if that's of interest to them. Unless I get a large interest, I'll just tell my lawyer to pursue it as individual action.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That said, when my trial expired it switched to the keyfob plan and It it works exactly as it did before. Actually it's better since Onstar isn't farking with everything, bricking their app and I wasn't even able to use it for 6 months.

I still get reports, still get charge notifications and such and I still can remote start, unlock and see my charge and location even though I get at least a letter a week telling me my Onstar has ended and they are going to unleash a pack of deer in front of my car or break my legs at night and leave me abandoned in my car helpless if I don't renew immediately at an extortion level prices. LOL.
That's what I want. Yet even when facing their own published documentation about 5 years of Basic and what that includes, Onstar keeps claiming that no such services are provided. They seem insistent on enriching my lawyer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You realize that the same offer was extended to Volt owners, right?
Yes, this is why I posted to the Volt and Spark groups too ;)

I'm surprised you went to a lawyer before contacting GM corporate. They might not resolve your issue now (it would have to be escalated to their legal department).
I've spent over 12 hours now talking with GM corporate, Onstar management, and my dealer. This has taken far, far too much of my time already--and according to my lawyer the time expended (which is all documented) now qualifies for damages.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I've spent over 12 hours now talking with GM corporate, Onstar management, and my dealer. This has taken far, far too much of my time already--and according to my lawyer the time expended (which is all documented) now qualifies for damages.
Cool. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I still have fob features through the app on my 2014 Volt. I used the key unlock yesterday. I still have remote battery status capability and the ability to change the charging mode, but only through https://secure.myvolt.com/web/portal/home . It doesn't work anyplace else for me. I am supposed to have 3 years of basic Onstar because I bought a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle, so I should have it for a couple more years.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
When I bought my Spark, Chevy said that we got free car status, lock/unlock/start control through the app for life, whether we renewed the free onstar services or not. And yeah, it says that in the purchase agreement, in the car manual, and in the onstar service manual.

It's a lie.

My free Onstar services on my Spark EV expired last month. Not having used them even once in the 3 years, I shrugged. According to my car manual, the GM website, and the paper Onstar sent me I would retain app access to car status and lock/unlock functionality.

I've been using OnStar for over 14 years. Never had significant issues with it other than when the cellular network in the USA switched over and I had to bring a truck in for updating.

The cool thing about OnStar? If you don't like it, don't use it. If you like it use it. Few cars have these types of systems and the ones that do, usually suck far more than OnStar. These systems used to be limited only to luxury brands or high trim levels. They should have never put OnStar in cars under $30k, IMO. Marketing error.

IIRC a $150,000 Tesla EV does not have anything like OnStar. I'm not even sure it has a built-in telephone.

A $125k Corvette doesn't have Lifetime OnStar, ask me how I know. You are wrong about the Owner's Manual saying it has Lifetime Remote Control Access Via Cellphone App. That's not even in the Basic Plan. That's Level 2. I can't believe I read the Spark EV Owner's Manual for you. You got me.

Good luck with the lawsuit.

·
Administrator
20,437 Posts
Chevy never told me that, neither did my dealer

Could you cite the pages, or include a photo of the Bolt owner's manual or the Bolt's OnStar agreement where it states we get "free car status, lock/unlock/start control through the app for life, whether we renewed the free onstar services or not."?

Here is what my Bolt OM says;

myChevrolet Mobile App (If Available)
Download the myChevrolet mobile App to compatible Apple® iOS and AndroidTM smartphones. OnStar® Subscribers can access the
following services from a smartphone:
. Remotely start/stop the vehicle, if factory-equipped.
. Lock/unlock doors, if equipped with automatic locks.
. Activate the horn and lamps.
. Check the vehicle’s energy level,
range or tire pressure,
if factory-equipped with the Tire Pressure Monitor System.
. Send destinations to the vehicle. . Locate the vehicle on a map
(U.S. only).
. Turn the vehicle's Wi-Fi® hotspot on/off, manage settings, and monitor data consumption,
if equipped.
. Locate a dealer and schedule service.
. Request roadside assistance.
. Set a parking reminder with pin drop, take a photo, make a note, and set a timer.
. Connect with Chevrolet on social media
An active OnStar service, compatible device, factory-installed remote start and power locks are required. Data rates apply. Visit
onstar.com for details and system limitations.
I added the bolding. I see nothing there that agrees with your claim, that's why it would be helpful if you could post where you are seeing these claims.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
In the 2015 Spark EV manual it states on page 14-4.

"OnStar RemoteLink® Key Fob Services
This feature is included for five years and allows for remote door lock/unlock (if equipped with automatic locks), remote start (if factory equipped), or activation of horn and lights from anywhere with a wireless signal. Download the app and start using it any time during the trial period to get started."
I don't see anything about Lifetime anywhere

·
Administrator
20,437 Posts
In the 2015 Spark EV manual it states on page 14-4.

"OnStar RemoteLink® Key Fob Services
This feature is included for five years
5 years seems pretty definitive and is definitely not the same as the "lifetime" the OP is claiming. Pretty sensational headline for no supporting evidence.

I wonder what the OP showed their attorney besides the money in their wallet? So far, nothing seems to back it up. I'm hoping the OP will clarify with facts (not more unsubstantiated claims) soon. Otherwise their next post will be "My attorney lied to me!"

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
5 years seems pretty definitive and is definitely not the same as the "lifetime" the OP is claiming. Pretty sensational headline for no supporting evidence.

I wonder what the OP showed their attorney besides the money in their wallet? So far, nothing seems to back it up. I'm hoping the OP will clarify with facts (not more unsubstantiated claims) soon. Otherwise their next post will be "My attorney lied to me!"
I really hate these b*tch threads, but I can't help asking this.....

Is the attorney's name Michael Avenatti?

That's the biggest load of crap I've heard this week. Good luck passing muster on standing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I really hate these b*tch threads, but I can't help asking this..... Is the attorney's name Michael Avenatti? That's the biggest load of crap I've heard this week.
Wow. Nice community you have here. Someone is getting treated like crap, and apparently you think it's time to just up the game and join in.

I've got my purchase agreement, my manual, the Chevy website, the Spark brochure, and Onstar's own paperwork all of which agree that Basic plan should be available to me at this point. It was enough evidence that the lawyer required no money from me.

But you know, nevermind. You're jerks who taunt people who are getting denied what they were paid for. You deserve to get screwed over. Have fun with that.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts