GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering carpooling with a co-worker on my 68 mile RT, 50% employer-provided commute.

I calculated out the difference in cost to me to pick him up and take him home, and it was just $0.78 cents more a month! (70 miles and no significant time difference).

I found this interesting new article and commented on it:
http://www.thedimecolorado.com/2012...t-the-real-benefits-and-drawbacks/#comment-77

Anyone else carpool in their Volt (or other EV)? Special pros/cons to consider?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I carpool with my brother as often as possible, usually 2-3 times a week. I figure if it saves him a few bucks and gets one more gas driven car off of the [email protected]#$% LA freeways and keeps it from emitting a few more pounds of junk into our polluted LA air it's worth a bit of inconvenience.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I congratulate you for carpooling, especially in the Chevy Volt. I know how much it helps others and reduces air pollution. Besides, it is another way to promote and show off the virtues of the Volt to others. The only negative effect is that your fellow riders would eventually buy their own Volt, and you won't be sharing the carpool again with them.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
mpg really is PMPG - People miles per gallon (number of people moved * miles per gallon burned)

Most cars are rated in the 10-30mpg with one driver. Imagine the pmpg of a Volt with two in a daily commute?

We are a low pmpg country and that's why we burn so much oil.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I carpool one person everyday in my car. When I used to drive someone, we divided the gas cost. That is scrapped with the Volt, because it isnt worth my time for what he would pay me let alone the extra 1,500 miles a year that get put on my car because his house is not immediately on my route. He ends up paying me $7 a day to share a 70 mile round trip commute, in which he doesnt have to buy a parking permit ($1000 a year), pay for gas, or park in a distance lot and take a public bus to work. It is well worth the $120 he pays me a month, and that pays for our dog walker.

But yes, I consider myself now the ultimate carpooler :) last semester I also stuffed one college student in the back 2 days a week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just bought my Volt 2 weeks ago and still intend to carpool. My commute is 67 miles if I were alone and 77 miles picking my carpool buddy up. The real benefit for me is I can nap when I do not drive, talk about issues of the day and most importantly, I leave work on time every day since I am in a carpool and it would inconvenience my carpool buddy if i stayed late. That excuse alone forces people to make decisions in a timely manner so that I can successfully implement them when time is critical. You would be amazed how much people hem and haw on their decision making if they think they can wait all day and just keep you late to implement.
I do not refuse their request for me to stay late, I merely ask that management provide me with a ride home since my carpool buddy has other obligations and needs to leave on time. No one wants to be inconvenienced having to drive me home later that night so they have learned to become more effective and efficient decision makers. Truly a win win as far as I am concerned.

One more point....I have car pooled for 12 years. The amount of money that I saved in gas, car maintenance, tolls and tires for these past 12 years came remarkably close to completely paying for my Volt....after the Federal Tax Credit of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts