GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what was posted on the my.chevrolet site for my car today. Anybody else get one of these?

GM Recall #:
N182167900
NHTSA #
AWAITING#
Date Issued:
Aug 30, 2018
Recall Title:

Trapped Hydrogen Gas Rear Brakes

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2018–2019 model year GMC Terrain vehicles; 2018 model year Chevrolet Malibu vehicles; 2018–2019 model year Chevrolet Cruze, Equinox, Volt, Impala, and Bolt vehicles; 2018–2019 model year Buick Lacrosse and Regal vehicles; and 2018–2019 model year Cadillac XTS vehicles. In a small number of these vehicles, the rear-brake caliper pistons may contain trapped hydrogen gas that could be released into the vehicle’s brake system.

Safety Risk Description:

If gas is present in the brake system, rear-brake performance may be reduced, increasing the risk of a crash.

Repair Description:

Dealers will “bleed” the brake system to remove any gas from the rear brake system free of charge.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
GM knows the run dates so they'll know which Volts are possibly affected by this issue. This means that not every 2018 Volt will need to be recalled. Nor will every car from the list need to be recalled.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Nothing for me. Guess I'm not affected.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just got this notice in my chevy app today. The solution is to bleed the brake system, but that sounds like treating the symptom only, not the cause. Or after this one time bleed, the hydrogen gas will not enter the brake system again?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just got this notice in my chevy app today. The solution is to bleed the brake system, but that sounds like treating the symptom only, not the cause. Or after this one time bleed, the hydrogen gas will not enter the brake system again?
This same thing occurred to me as well. The next thought I had was that this gas buildup might be a one time occurrence in the manufacturing process and once bled isn't going to recur. I'm pretty sure GM wouldn't highlight an issue like this, offer a proposed solution only to have that very problem come back and cause property damage and/or bodily harm. We're probably fine after they perform the service.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
They bleed the brakes, the gas is pushed out, done.

·
Super Moderator
6,314 Posts
They bleed the brakes, the gas is pushed out, done.
May be simple but you still have to get an appointment at a dealership, go there, wait/come-back, etc.

Seems odd in that when manufacturing you would think their process would be consistent for the brakes. Perhaps some brake fluid they used or new process added air/bubbles?

Safety Risk Description: If gas is present in the brake system, rear-brake performance may be reduced, increasing the risk of a crash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts