GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody experience this charging fault? "!" red flash and 3 green blink twice

This morning I found my car with no charging light in dashboard, and the charger had up left solid green light and right "!" red flashing. Below, 3 green led flash 2 times then one green light, 3 green 2 times blink again and so on.
After some tests I found out that the problem is the outlet in the house, the third one that fail in time. Weird is that outlet is working for everything else except charging car, and weirder the outles beside this one that is on the same circuit work just fine. I read in the manual that outlet could wear it time and became unuseful for charging the car. I try to change the outlet, the wires looks ok, safety(16AMP) for 220V socket is good as long as other outlets work for charging, so I don't know why after ~ 1 year of use the outlet fail only for charging the car. Maybe the EVSE detect some fault but I don't know how to fix it.
I will make a separate circuit just for one outlet for charging, but for the faulty outlets I don't know what the charging for long period do to them as they work for everithinh except charging.
A day before I wash the car and at that night was -7 degres, I don't know if has something to do with it...maybe just coincidence
Image-1.jpg

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
This morning I found my car with no charging light in dashboard, and the charger had up left solid green light and right "!" red flashing. Below, 3 green led flash 2 times then one green light, 3 green 2 times blink again and so on.
After some tests I found out that the problem is the outlet in the house, the third one that fail in time. Weird is that outlet is working for everything else except charging car, and weirder the outles beside this one that is on the same circuit work just fine. I read in the manual that outlet could wear it time and became unuseful for charging the car. I try to change the outlet, the wires looks ok, safety(16AMP) for 220V socket is good as long as other outlets work for charging, so I don't know why after ~ 1 year of use the outlet fail only for charging the car. Maybe the EVSE detect some fault but I don't know how to fix it.
I will make a separate circuit just for one outlet for charging, but for the faulty outlets I don't know what the charging for long period do to them as they work for everithinh except charging.
A day before I wash the car and at that night was -7 degres, I don't know if has something to do with it...maybe just coincidence
View attachment 156747
Change the outlet receptacle, try and find a plug receptacle that is commercial grade or hospital grade. Don't plug and unplug the EVSE from the receptacle as over time the connection will loosen.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
It may be a fault code corresponding to a value of "331." I looked for a list of fault codes for the EVSE, but couldn't find one in the car owner's manual, or with a quick online search. But since you have found the apparent cause of the problem, I guess you don't really need it. I would just say get the highest quality outlet you can find and make sure the wiring is as solid as possible at the screw terminals. Also, are you plugging and unplugging the cord daily? If so, that could definitely wear the outlet over time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank's Barry, I attached a Charger Error codes just in case you or anybody needs it. Even if I plug and unplug offen, it was the extension cord, not the wire from the outlet. Problem is that I purchase a new wall outlet, I changed it and same error.
"RCD / GFI / CCID Error Home Ground and Neutral Voltage Vehicle Ground and Neutral Short"
This coresponds to my error code 331, but I don't understand exactly what it is, other time I had a problem with a outlet without ground and 2 red flashing lights appear.
I am wonder if it has something to do with the car beeing washed as it also mentioned "Vehicle Ground and Neutral Short". On the other hand, on other outlet works just fine...
EVSE fault codes.jpg

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Thank's Barry, I attached a Charger Error codes just in case you or anybody needs it. Even if I plug and unplug offen, it was the extension cord, not the wire from the outlet. Problem is that I purchase a new wall outlet, I changed it and same error.
"RCD / GFI / CCID Error Home Ground and Neutral Voltage Vehicle Ground and Neutral Short"
This coresponds to my error code 331, but I don't understand exactly what it is, other time I had a problem with a outlet without ground and 2 red flashing lights appear.
I am wonder if it has something to do with the car beeing washed as it also mentioned "Vehicle Ground and Neutral Short". On the other hand, on other outlet works just fine...
View attachment 156749
It could be related to washing the vehicle; your Ampera may have a crack in the charge port.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Will it charge ok if you plug your EVSE into a different outlet? If so, it is not your car that has the problem, and was probably not caused by washing the car.

It sounds to me like you have an issue with how the outlet ground/neutral is wired, which is possibly in the electrical panel, or somewhere else in the circuit or the house wiring. I would refer that error code to a professional electrician. Not a good idea to start rewiring your house based on tips from the internet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My guess is it might be a bad ground connection as you do not have a neutral in Romania (one of my favorite countries & people, except for some of the cab drivers).
From what I recall the grounds in Europe are not as good as the grounds in North America. If it is only a matter of changing the receptacle, try it as they are not much money. The EVSE really is touchy as far as grounds and decent electricity.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had the same problem, same car, same country :)

I had to change the wall plug, somehow the old one was causing ground problem

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I just buy a socket tester so my outlet is OK, everything else except the EVSE works in it. I even change the socket and nothing changed. The socket beside this one on the same circuit works fine with EVSE. Also I have other 2 outlet that I used in time for charge and gone bad after a while... IMG_0825[227].jpg . I heard something about line noise!?

·
Registered
212 Posts
You just answered yourself as to what the problem is.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what is the problem? Line noise? Can be fixed? I want to make this outlet function again as normal, nor change to other outlets until I damage all of them. If it's not the outlet than it's something with the wires that are in the walls, so.....any sugestion?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Does the line tester show the same indicators in both outlets?

·
1,027 Posts
If the outlet is daisy chained and other outlets are run off it it could be any of them. You might also try replacing the breaker. It could be as simple as a loose connection somewhere. Now it's a fault. Later it could be a fire.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Line tester shows same at all my outlets. Both outlets, one that work and the other that don't are on the same circuit and breaker so I guess it's not the breaker. Also on other circuit one outlet that was used for ~ 1 year gone bad, other ones on same breaker and circuit works well. This outlet failed when was once used for iron welding at a fence(something that use high voltage). After all works except charging my car. Also testing with socket tester show no error.
P.S When I plug in the charger all light's turn green, sign that everything is good to go, once plug in to the car, Orange appear for 2 sec, than turn off, like I removed the charger and Flashing light's came on...

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Try change the outlet with a quality (sometimes called hospital grade) outlet. Cheap ones don't last long and EVSE's can detect faults where a normal device like a light or drill won't and will work fine.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If the outlet is daisy chained and other outlets are run off it it could be any of them. You might also try replacing the breaker. It could be as simple as a loose connection somewhere. Now it's a fault. Later it could be a fire.
^ this makes sense. The next thing I would do is have the other receptacle, the one that works, replaced. But if you have not solved it yourself by now, this is probably a job for a professional. When it comes to house wiring, there is no tolerance for doing anything wrong. Too dangerous.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Your tester does not appear to test the ground. FI Spyder- he is in Romania. Not the same as NA Have not seen hospital or Spec grade 220 volt receptacles while there - they may have, but I doubt it.
I would bet that all he needs to do is to purchase a new receptacle and replace the defective one.
The EVSE is a WAY better tester than a bunch of LED's or Neon Bulbs.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Your tester does not appear to test the ground. FI Spyder- he is in Romania.
I deal with European equipment at work every day. We have machines made in Germany, Sweden, Belgium, etc. The European designation for ground is PE--it stands for Physical Earth. His tester shows that.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The European designation for ground is PE--it stands for Physical Earth. His tester shows that.
Did not know that. Thanks :) So by having two lights lit and the third one not lit, that indicates all is good? I can't see/read what the two lights signify. Still think spending a few Euros or RON he might fix the problem. But then again it could be aliens or the SRI just playing with that particular outlet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank's all for advices. Case closed :) . It was a weak connection of the ground in the electric panel, not on the outlet. So the EVSE error code was right, some weak connection on ground cable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts