GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't wait to see what kind of responses I get to this, because I figured the answer is "no." It's just an issue I have with the Gen 2--the steering is too numb and vague. It could do with a little less boost. Strangely, I didn't have this issue with the Gen 1, but that car felt very different with its driving dynamics altogether.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
The power steering is electric (Same as my 2014 Stingray) and I can change the feel of the steering by changing the driving mode knob to Sport or Track Mode. Even the steering on our 2017 GMC Acadia is adjustable. So while it's technically possible I'm just not sure who would be able to "hack" it to allow the user control, because if something goes wrong and the vehicle is involved in an accident, who's responsible.

Good luck.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Tire pressure? Above 40 some of the vagueness goes away.
Next move different tires.
Beyond that different struts and heavier sway bar.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tire pressure? Above 40 some of the vagueness goes away.
Next move different tires.
Beyond that different struts and heavier sway bar.
Yeah I upped it to 41, helped a bit. Definitely looking forward to better rubber once these shoes are worn out.

Hadn't thought of going the route of suspension and handling parts, I'm definitely going to look into it. I bet GM reduced the beefiness of these components in the Gen 2 with its lighter weight (and lower costs).

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yes I went from a 2013 to a 2018 and feel stiffer steering and stiffer brakes. So far I prefer how my 2013 feels to drive but I figured I would get use to it. Funny I didnt have to get use to the 2013 it just felt excellant from day 1.

Disclosure: (except when the rack started having the sticky issues and was replaced, all was well again after that)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just be aware that going to stiffer shocks can result, eventually, in the car developing a lot of rattles. This happened to me with my 1980 Honda Accord that I bought new. I put Koni shocks on it and yes, the handling improved. Over time though the harsher ride led to a lot of rattles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts