GM Volt Forum banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts
Here is a data point for the 2016 Gen2. Replacing the ambient air sensor with and 8.45 K ohm resistor gives a steady displayed temperature of 38 degrees F.

when the sensor is replaced , the mileage is increased ?
how many miles you drove with OEM sensor and how many now ???

Hello guys, I have only a question. For those who got to the sensor from under (like somms), did you manage to put it back in place or you only let it hang somewhere in there ? How you did it, because I really couldn't make it get back in the hole.
P.S. My commute is now only 10 miles roud trip (32 miles before and ERDTT was inevitable during winter) so I don't see why would I use any gas when the battery is more than enough for doing it.

Can/does anyone offer a replacement sensor that shifts the temperature at 15C down to to level that triggers the 'warmer' ERDTT? Or something similar?

Below ~15C I'd like to be able to select ERDTT at my discretion.

With this range shift it'd then simply be a case of choosing the option in the config menu that sets ERDTT to =<2C. If I don't want' ERDTT then I could simply select =<-10C in the menu.

(Not sure those are the exact 'cold' and 'very cold' settings, but I think it is something like that.)

Any takers to offer me this, or will I have to experiment with some temperature sensors myself? I'd be happy either way if it can be made to work.

Hello guys, I have only a question. For those who got to the sensor from under (like somms), did you manage to put it back in place or you only let it hang somewhere in there ? How you did it, because I really couldn't make it get back in the hole.
P.S. My commute is now only 10 miles roud trip (32 miles before and ERDTT was inevitable during winter) so I don't see why would I use any gas when the battery is more than enough for doing it.
I was able to get it back into the bracket.

Can/does anyone offer a replacement sensor that shifts the temperature at 15C down to to level that triggers the 'warmer' ERDTT? Or something similar?

Below ~15C I'd like to be able to select ERDTT at my discretion.

With this range shift it'd then simply be a case of choosing the option in the config menu that sets ERDTT to =<2C. If I don't want' ERDTT then I could simply select =<-10C in the menu.

(Not sure those are the exact 'cold' and 'very cold' settings, but I think it is something like that.)

Any takers to offer me this, or will I have to experiment with some temperature sensors myself? I'd be happy either way if it can be made to work.
Yes, there is someone on ebay selling something that has a switch in it, I believe.

Did you push it using something ? There is not that many space to do it while on the back under the car. I managed to put it in place somehow, but...
Hold it with needle-nose pliers, push it in with my fingers. It gets easier as the bracket loosens up a little.

Switch your Volt to Hold mode and here you have it !
No, this doesn't do it. If you start your journey creeping through traffic, the engine just doesn't run enough to get warm.

I take my son to school along 4 miles of back roads with sporadic traffic lights, some every 300 yards or so, and the engine just doesn't put out any heat until after I have dropped him off.

Straight on to a main road, that'd be no problem. But slow traffic work means wasted battery juice to heat the car, and then having to run the engine later on for my route.

Why not pre-condition your car twice - so it is warm and crispy ? You don't need anything more, from my experience. Up the temp to 79 F and you'll be just fine.

Why not pre-condition your car twice - so it is warm and crispy ? You don't need anything more, from my experience. Up the temp to 79 F and you'll be just fine.
I leave my car on, plugged in, with the heating on. This is the best way to get the thermal intertia into the car, but this only lasts for a half hour or so. Less, really, because it's already gone cool by then. I am about 5-10 mins short of the highway still at that point. When it gets colder, that period will get longer and longer. Only takes 10 seconds for the windows to mist up. Then I have to put the electric heating on.

Hi guys. Here is what I have done on my 2012 to counter ERDTT.

Connected a 4 wires cable from the sensor and the ECM connector to a DPDT switch, sensor connected to one position and a fixed resistance (39k ohms) to the other. I used a DPDT switch because all I want is disabling ERDTT on demand with a fixed resistance to the limit of temperature ERDTT start (-4C in my case) to be closer to the outside temperature for the climate control to behave "correctly". This way, it's better than the parallel resistance that offset the outside temperature when it's cold. The switch is located just behind the passenger headlight.

The only thing missing to be perfect is if I was able to put the switch inside the car. The wire is long enough to go inside on the passenger side but I really don't know where to pass it. Maybe the glove compartment where the cabin filter is... Maybe later I will build a homemade device which read the outside temperature from the sensor, display it and toggle the ERDTT at the temperature I want just like GM should have done it from the beginning :)

Anyway, if anyone can help me to find a place to pass this wire inside, it will be really appreciated. Thanks.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.