GM Volt Forum banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts
Hi
My 2012 has a selection in config not to start except in extreme cold.

Don
Some "late build" 2012 Volts included the capability to adjust the engine assisted heating features like the 2013 models
WOT

Anybody try this in the 2016 yet? Same resistor value? Same location? Same temp differential?
Not really a fan of the mod... ;)
But the Gen2 location is slightly different. (somewhat easier?)
According to GM service information, it's the same resistance curve.
HTH
WOT

Attachments

Not really a fan of the mod... ;)
But the Gen2 location is slightly different. (somewhat easier?)
According to GM service information, it's the same resistance curve.
HTH
WOT
Thanks! So, what are we seeing there? Is that a cover that needs to be removed to get to it?
And, are you saying that a 1/2W 15k Ohms 5% resistor will work? What temp drop should it provide?

Anybody try this yet in the 2016? How did you get the sensor out? If you just replace it with a resistor, do you need to use electrical tape or some other form of weather protection?

OK, I was able to remove the sensor in the 2016. Pretty easy actually. Should I use the same resistor as somms did? Simple electrical tape to prevent moisture? Thanks!

OK, I was able to remove the sensor in the 2016. Pretty easy actually. Should I use the same resistor as somms did? Simple electrical tape to prevent moisture? Thanks!
Just tried a 22Kohm resistor (couldn't find 15Kohm at the store) and it registered -20F. Tried an 8Kohm and it registered -40F.
Any thoughts on what value I should try?
How long will it take for the -40F to clear once I put the sensor back on? Does the engine have to run to clear it?

After waiting longer, a 22Kohm fixed resistor INSTEAD of the sensor resulted in 6F. So, it would seem that the 2016 temp sensor/resistance curve is different than prior years. Still wondering if anyone else is trying this on their 2016 yet. Anyone?

Just wanted everyone to know that I was successful setting up the ERDTT "hack" on my 2016. The sensor is very easy to get to. It's accessible in the lower grill openings. Popped it out, removed the sensor "tip", and installed a 1/8W 20Kohm resistor in parallel inside the sensor tip (wrapping each end of the resistor around a pin in the sensor tip).

After driving for a mile or two, temp came up 21F above the ambient temperature last night. It was 19F outside and the DIC read 40F. Today ambient was 23F and DIC read 44F. Although this sounds like a constant 21F increase, I am told that it is NOT linear.

Anyhow, I expect NO ERDTT in my 2016 now! Will be buying a second sensor online to make it easier to replace in the spring. Part number is 13583411.

Eph

If lowering to 15F still doesn't cut it for you, guess you could always get ahold of the $3 AMBIENT TEMP SENSOR mounted behind the passenger's side front turn signal and hard set it for the Kohm value necessary to never drop below the point that triggers the ICE to run!
Could you rig this with a remote that can set the resistance high too, which would do the reverse and force the engine to run? What electrical power does it generate when it is running, and does it rev up and down with the throttle, as if it is in hold, or does the battery capacity drop over time?

Is there any official Info about this subject? Thanks in advance!
Official in what way?

You're never going to get GM to comment on a hack. The location of the air temperature sensor that controls ERDTT, how it operates and the theory that adding a resistor could cause the car to see a higher temperature was originally posted on GM-Volt by our own WOT and Tboult. Subsequently others, including Frank Weber (Volt chief engineer, now BMW i3), used this information to create a mod that prevented ERDTT. See our ERDTT mod FAQ for more details: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?105569-Chevy-Volt-Accessories-and-Modifications-FAQ-s

originally posted on GM-Volt by our own WOT and Tboult. Subsequently others, including Frank Weber (Volt chief engineer, now BMW i3), used this information to create a mod that prevented ERDTT
I have studied every single post of every single topic created regarding ERDTT and I am thankful for everyone who contributed to the ERDDT mods/ideas.

But for me there is no evidence that the "F. Weber" user on roulezelectrique.com is the german chief engineer involved in the Volt program.

Why did he post there in fluent french language when he worked in Germany and America for the better part of his life?

In fact, there is a different french user called "François Boucher" who gets called "François Boucher, ALIAS F. Weber" in this article:

http://roulezelectrique.com/un-pack-de-nissan-leaf-pour-75-du-kwh/

At the moment I can't believe that this guy on roulezelectrique.com is the real Frank Weber, otherwise I'd install this ERDTT mod instantly.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.