GM Volt Forum banner

Any way to stop the engine from running so much in the winter?

51K views 93 replies 39 participants last post by  Fiumag 
so a simple switch rigged somewhere in the engine compartment that's easily accessible would be a simple, effective, and clean setup.
That's exactly what I have. Works perfectly. I've brought my Volt in twice and they never noticed the switch I had hidden in the engine compartment. I really would not like to be going in and swapping it out twice a year. It was painful enough to get to the sensor the first time. Hopefully, I will never need to swap out the modified temperature sensor I have installed.

Did you buy the hacked ambient air sensor with switch from Joel on ebay? By the way, hacking the sensor with a resistor to prevent or limit ERDTT was the idea of Frank J Weber, the leader of the team that transformed the Chevrolet Volt from a concept to a production vehicle. Weber was the global chief engineer for electric vehicles at General Motors during his time in the U.S.

This is a link to his post: http://roulezelectrique.com/recalibr...re-de-la-volt/

Use Chrome for auto translation.
Yes I did buy the switch from Joe. He's a member here as well. I have that French site bookmarked and have read through it a number of times.

Nice thing about having the resister in parallel is it just offsets the temperature, so after a while I was able to guess pretty closely what the actual temperature was. I wanted to find an actual chart of the GM OAT sensor, but never found one with actual values. If anyone has it, I would love to create a complete table with original and offset values for next winter.

Here's what the sensor I have installed looks like. Recently he went with a different switch and raised the price a bit as well.

Is yours using the original or the newer 47k Ohm version, ari-c? At what (actual) temp did ERDTT turn on for you?
For those interested, Joel has a new improved switch here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sonde-tempera.../281246258931?
I assume I have the original 47k Ohm version. Mine was made in Nov 2013. I believe my ERDTT ran at 26F. I only had that happen twice and the last time was Jan 2012, so whether it was 25F or 26F I do not remember!

Gents,
I got to remind you that it is late spring, closing in on summer !!!
Thank goodness for the reminder, I totally forgot :). No wonder I'm the only one still wearing fleece in DC.

Sure, but when is a better time to crawl around under the car and grapple with something behind the bumper, June or January? :)
Well, I did it in December when it was around 20F in my garage and that was not much fun. I wanted to do it in November, but the first sensor did not work forcing me to repeat the process. Nothing like laying on the cold garage floor trying to pop that sensor back into that hole. Probably the most difficult part of the whole procedure.

I could have waited for a warmer day, but driving with my ICE turning on was out of the question for me!

I can offer a sure-fire absolutely certain method for minimizing the amount of time the engine runs due to winter, without trying to force the car to operate any way other than the way it was designed. Move to Arizona. It really works.

;)
But then Winter is no longer your problem. Potentially traded for a much bigger problem......Summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.