GM Volt Forum banner

Any way to re-seed shuffle play on USB playback

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Maxtorm519 
#1 ·
I am surprised that this issue has lingered in the Volt infotainment software as long as it has.

The short version of the problem is that the music in a USB playlist is shuffled once when you select "Shuffle", but never again thereafter, so you are left listening to the songs in the exact same order over and over.

Do any of you have any easy methods for re-seeding (i.e. re-randomizing) the shuffled songs?

(Incidentally, the same thing applies to playback of all songs on a USB; my method for addressing that is to randomly pick a song to commence playback at. Given the 1000s of songs on the USB drive, this simulates randomization, though the playback order continues to remain fixed.)

There must be a way to trigger it because a newly inserted and indexed drive will have to initially shuffle once. Perhaps taking the drive out and adding or removing songs? But, of course, that seems like a huge PITA.

Anyone have any magic?

#4 ·
I use all songs from a-z with no shuffle and it takes 6 months to go through the entire 32 gig stick.

#5 ·
Thanks Jim. That's an option. I find it annoying though since you are left listening to everything by a particular artist before it moves on to new music (at least that is my experience with no shuffle).

(Which, incidentally, reminds me of another beef I have with the infotainment system. There is no apparent way to "play all" through the voice command system. You have to choose either an artist, album, song or genre. I have tried "play all", "play all music", "play all songs", "play songs", "play music", etc. etc.)

#9 ·
Sorry - yes - quite right. However, the same issue presents itself there -- where you're left listening to, e.g., "Big Country", followed by "Big Love", immediately followed by "Big Love (live)". The predictability of it defeats the purpose of "shuffle" IMHO. Hope springs eternal though -- perhaps re-toggling will work, as suggested above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.