GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I wait for my volt order to come in (crossing fingers for 4ish weeks) I was wondering if there would be any useful application of a lightweight odyssey 12V battery.

The reading I've done tells me that the 12V battery in our cars is really only used to power computers/radio/electronics. No actual cranking of the engine or anything like that. It's charged off the high voltage battery once the car is powered "on".

Since it doesn't need to do any heavy lifting in terms of crank power, it just needs to be a quality battery in terms of powering electronics.

Not sure what the weight of the stock 12V battery is, but if its anything like a normal battery you are looking at 30# or more.

Would replacing the 12V heavyweight with something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-PC625-Powersports-Battery/dp/B0000BYEXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463037864&sr=8-1&keywords=pc625

or this:

https://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/braille/product_batteries/b106

be viable at all? Still plenty of juice for electronics and to boot the car up. Lightweight (13.2lbs) Seems to me if you enjoy saving weight, this would be a nice drop in solution. It has 18Ah capacity, 530 hot cranking amps (200 CCA)

Thoughts?

Big fan of odyssey - their little batteries pack a punch, I used one of theirs in my Z06 for years, saved a good 25lbs easily and never had any issues cranking a 7L engine.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The stock battery is AGM already. I doubt a savings of more than 10# by going with a smaller unit. Some of the lithium replacements would be lighter with the same power.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock battery is AGM already. I doubt a savings of more than 10# by going with a smaller unit. Some of the lithium replacements would be lighter with the same power.
Ah cool didn't know the stock was AGM -- I'm used to car batteries starting out at 40lbs already.

I've looked into the lithium types - and they have some awesome tech out there (3lbs batteries that provide all the same punch as 40lb units) but no way I'd pay 400 dollars+ for one.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Ah cool didn't know the stock was AGM -- I'm used to car batteries starting out at 40lbs already.

I've looked into the lithium types - and they have some awesome tech out there (3lbs batteries that provide all the same punch as 40lb units) but no way I'd pay 400 dollars+ for one.
Keep in mind that the 12v charging system is integral to the Volt and it needs to be configured to the type of battery chemistry being used. Your overthinking this, the GM engineers have it covered.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Big fan of odyssey - their little batteries pack a punch, I used one of theirs in my Z06 for years, saved a good 25lbs easily and never had any issues cranking a 7L engine.
You can save more than that just never putting the second four gallons of gas in the tank.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
There are several things to consider when light weighting...

This isn't for anyone in particular just from my autoX days...First and foremost take care of yourself, how's one's BMI? If one isn't fit, get there, you'll feel better, odds are live longer, be more attractive to folks...

Next is gas...About 6lbs per gallon, could one live with running around with 2-3/gal for now and only gas on up expected long trips?

Than you get rid of stuff you don't normally need, could you keep your charger at home? Never use your back seat? Maybe remove it, I have no idea if it's just a few bolts by a popular trick is to go to home depot buy some wing nuts, bring the bolts and wingnuts to a welder and have them weld them on...That way you can take the seats on and off without tools...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Standard-size AGM batteries are around 40 lbs. Since the size is normally a given, replacing a wet cell with a same-sized AGM increases capacity and starting ability (due to lower internal resistance), but not weight. Reducing weight means reducing size and capacity. It also generally reduces service life since a small discharge/charge cycle for a normal battery is a much higher percentage of its capacity. One of these saves me 20 lbs over a normal battery, but in my RX-8, the lifetime is only a couple of years - too much heat, I think. http://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/pc925mjt

A true replacement for an AGM with a Li-Po unit is very expensive ~$1000. The cheapo lithium replacement units cheat big time with their specs, taking advantage of the lithium's ability to keep a high voltage until very late in it's discharge curve. Additionally, they don't work well when cold.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A lithium-iron battery would be the closest approximation to a lighter battery with the right characteristics, but still not quite a drop-in replacement for lead-acid. AZ EV Driver is spot-on. A chemistry swap without further hassle for the aux. battery would result in a prematurely destroyed battery (LiFe) or exciting thermodynamics (anything else).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts