1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, when I use a RTX's own site or a site like Carid.com where you input your vehicle they both do not show that wheel as fitting though they do show them fitting a 2016 Cruze hence my skepticism.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Besides the diameter, it is an inch wider and has a little less offset, so it is not an exact match, obviously (that is probably the point of getting them). According to post 1 in the thread below, Cruze wheels should fit, so I would feel pretty good about these fitting the Cruze. I figure you will have about 3/8 of an inch reduced clearance toward the center line of the car due to the width. I have no idea if that would be enough to cause interference. The thrust line will also change slightly and that could affect torque steer. Several forum members have plus size wheels and may be able to advise on what is a good fit.

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?48058-Volt-Spare-Tire-Guide

·
Registered
514 Posts
They fit along with 235/40/18 tires, no issues at all. Thanks for the help everyone!
Well, there's 'fit' . . . . as in you can bolt them on and nothing rubs anywhere and then there's 'fit' as in the correct suspension parameters are still all met

When you turn the wheel to go around a corner, the inside wheel/tire turns a tighter circle than the outside wheel does - That ratio of how much the inside tire turns vs the outside tire is designed into the car and can't be adjusted. If you change the track width by either changing the offset or going with a wider wheel and changing the offset, then the ratio of how much tighter the inside wheel turns in a corner compared to the outside wheel is changed . . . . for the worse, because there's only one 'correct' setting and that's the one built into the car based on the stock track width. This changes the scrub radius which does two things. First, it wears your tires faster because when the wheels are turned, the front tires scrub on the pavement because the scrub radius is wrong, wearing away rubber when they should be rolling freely. Second, it takes more energy to power the car when the wheels are turned and the tires are scrubbing, so the EV miles is reduced and the gas mpg is also - Not by very much if you're still close to the stock track width, but if you've made a noticeable change, one you can see just by looking at how much fuller the fenders look, then you've made a noticeable change in the tire wear and the mileage too

So, 'fit with no issues at all' means different things to different people - I assume you mean nothing rubs . . . . .

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts