GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this 2014 Volt with minor front end damage for $6K. It seems like a good deal or too good of a deal. All front airbags were deployed, needs a hood, headlight and misc. front parts. possibly the coolant heat exchange/radiator otherwise the Voltec system looks intact and full of coolant. What do I need to be aware of? I can do many of these repairs myself on most any other car. He said he bought it from an insurance auction and has a couple of vehicles from the same place

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are you a body man? I'll be it needs plenty of things underneath. Become a friend to a guy who owns a body shop so that you can get an honest opinion.

This could really be a money pit.

QR

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Get a good estimate on the repair cost and realize it might end up costing even more and then decide...

A rear ender with no mechanical parts needed cost my insurance $7k.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
As a starting point:

Parts:
Airbags=$750 each X four = $3000
Airbag controller must be replaced = $300
Two crash sensors above front radiator must be replaced = $300
If you can't operate the front seatbelts properly, (jammed in place) the tensioners have tripped, and cost $300
Usually, the front seatbelts themselves must be replaced also = $350
The front bumper clip = $500
headlight assembly = $500
chrome grille piece if replaced = $250

These are all prices I paid with a 20% discount off list from a dealer. (fleet price)

Then you have to find a paint place that can paint the bumper = $500 - $1000, depending on which paint is needed.
Then you will have to take the car to a dealer to have all the airbags, crash sensors, airbag controller, etc. IDed and recognized by the car's computer, before any of it will work correctly.

So, you will have aproximately $6000 in parts, minimum, and probably another $1000-$2000 for labor, depending on how good the dealer is at their job.

And, if the wire connectors on the charging unit under the right front bumper got broken, a new charger will cost you over $1000 also.

Just thought you ought to know what to expect.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Volts can be tricky to repair. Guy at work had his wrapped around a telephone pole and ruptured the radiator(s). The largest Chevy dealer in the area did the repair, but forgot to "burp" the thermal control system for the battery. The car shut down and stranded him. I hit a deer with a small amount of damage ($3K) and had to take the car back 3 times before they got it right. The shop I used is one of the best in the area and did a great job on my other cars (Prius, Camry). Collision centers struggle when they get away from the mass production vehicles.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I suppose it doesn't pencil out. I forgot how much these sell for used (or don't want to be reminded that I paid $40K for mine 3 years later its worth 13K) $6k or more just in parts. Could go a bit higher if the cooling system is damaged, that's if I do the work. Then it would have the diminished value of a rebuilt title. I see the light!!!

Thanks for the feedback. So many good parts there and not worth anything really - wow

·
Registered
524 Posts
Most of these problems are not Volt specific. Insurance companies are pretty stingy but if the air bags deploy they are more likely to declare the car as totaled. This can happen with any car.

·
Registered
351 Posts
New or Used

Why buy used?

In so. Calif. I see new 2017 Volt LT for about $22,000 with current discounts ($5,000) and Fed tax credit ($7,500) not including any state rebate or sales taxes.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
You can easily get a used '12/'13 Volt with <40k miles for under 15k these days. Don't even bother with that salvage job. You'd almost pay just as much to fix it up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why buy used?

In so. Calif. I see new 2017 Volt LT for about $22,000 with current discounts ($5,000) and Fed tax credit ($7,500) not including any state rebate or sales taxes.
Where are you finding these "current discounts ($5,000)"? 0_0 I've been struggling just to get a $1,000 private offer

·
Registered
364 Posts
Where are you finding these "current discounts ($5,000)"? 0_0 I've been struggling just to get a $1,000 private offer
He is likely in California, They often forget that the majority of the "rest of the U.S." are not C.A.R.B. States and therefore these deals don't exist for us. Much like the Spark being thrown into every thread as a cheap EV to get. Likewise the Spark is not available but in a few states Heck, I've never even seen one in the wild in AZ. and I'm right next to CA. Imagine trying to get a Spark in Ohio or (insert non carb state here) places.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My uncle ran a garage and I used to help him out sometimes. To be fair my "body shop" knowledge is about 20 years out of date, but I do know this. There are an absolutely astounding array of things that get knocked "out of whack" after a collision. Most of them won't really cause you issues but I've seen plenty of beautiful repair jobs that resulted in a nice looking car that then wouldn't hold a wheel alignment, or chafed wiring and created electrical gremlins, or messed up the impeller for the fuel pump, or created a hairline fracture in the heads (or in once case the cylinder wall). Or in some cases resulted in a nice looking car that just wasn't reliable any more.

Using that car for parts, probably fine. Fixing it up to drive? Definitely not -my- first choice. Of course YMMV.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Minor? I'd hate to see your definition of major.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts