GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, my 2013 volt has a stator failure and generator failure....the dealer wants $4500 to replace but I've found a local auto recycler with parts and willing to sell me a new trans assembly for my volt for $900. A

Does anyone know if I swap these units to replace the failed parts will this fix my issue and would I run into problems with programming or vin coding? Would the Chevy dealer be able to clear these or any aftermarket flash programs?

This would literally save this Volt from the junkyard, love the car but this recent failure is just too much to justify to do with the dealer

·
Administrator
22,836 Posts
A member just posted about replacing his own. Search should find it for you.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
712 Posts
I was told by a reputable source (Jaryd Carvell of Castle Chevrolet) there should be no issues with doing a swap from a donor Volt or junk yard transaxle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replaced mine a couple weeks ago. make sure they offer some type of warranty on the used one. You want at least 90 day warranty. I was able to source mine from car-part.com and found it for $600 and paid a shop another $600 for the labor. No reprogramming needed either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A member just posted about replacing his own. Search should find it for you.
I did try a search and had no luck locating the post your talking about. Is there a How to or even Video on how to drop the motor on these? I'm pretty familiar with Honda Engine and Transaxle swaps(done 5+)....thinking this might be something I could tackle on a long weekend. Thanks for the help and info everyone

·
Administrator
22,836 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts