GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wondering if it’s necessary to add Stabil or some other gas preservative to the gasoline in my Volt. It’s been in there a couple of months now as I do my best not to use the gas motor.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
RTFM ;) It'll tell you explicitly NOT to do this. The car keeps track of the age of gas in tank and burns it off as needed. Owners who know they rarely use gas will purposely keep only a few gallons in the tank, to avoid wasting much when this mode (FMM, fuel maintenance mode) kicks in. There's also EMM (engine maint mode) that runs the engine for a little bit every 6(?) weeks or so to make sure the engine is lubricated.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Hi all,

Just wondering if it’s necessary to add Stabil or some other gas preservative to the gasoline in my Volt. It’s been in there a couple of months now as I do my best not to use the gas motor.
No, you do not need to add fuel stabilizer to the Volt's fuel tank and this is not recommended by GM. If you read your Volt Owner's Manual you will find that the Volt will automatically exercise the gas engine every 6 weeks, keep track of the age of the fuel in the tank. If you have not used the fuel after ~365 days the Volt will automatically start to use up the old fuel.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The fuel tank is pressurized to prevent the evaporation of the lighter components of gasoline. That is why when you press the fuel button it tells you it is ready to put in fuel (depressurizes system). Don't need anything else.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My guess is that most "top tier" gasoline distributors have already added a protection package to your gas, so I would not worry about adding anything else. As a retired marine mechanic with over 35 years of experience I can tell you that gasoline quality can be all over the map. Personally, I like to use Chevron because I really believe in their Techron additive is very good. I also used to sell Startron additive to my outboard motor customers and I saw fewer problems with fuel contamination. I believe it is also a very good product...but I don't think you need it for your Volt as long as you are buying your gas from a "top tier" provider that sells a lot of gas.
If ethanol-free gas were cheap and easy to find, I would also be recommending that. But in my area it is more expensive and not that available.....but I still recommend it for older gas yard equipment and marine engines because it isn't as likely to attract moisture in the fuel tanks of engines that are not run frequently. Many will argue about it, but my experience indicates that ethanol in our fuel is NOT good for older tech engines that haven't been specifically designed to run on it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Your Volt automatically reminds you to do something about your gas getting older... Just to clarify the distinction between EMM (Engine Maintenance Mode) and FMM (Fuel Maintenance Mode) and gas usage:

The EMM will run after ~6 weeks of no or very limited engine operation to keep the engine in good working condition. It runs for a brief period of time using a miniscule amount of gas, forcing the engine to run even if there is a charge available to power the car. You can even run it while parked (no Gas Miles).

The EMM soon ends, and the car then returns to normal operations.

The FMM will run when the "average age" of the gas in the tank reaches ~365 days. This might be one year after you last filled your tank, if you tend to empty the tank before refilling it. It might be a lesser time period if you add gas to a partially empty tank.

Once the FMM starts, you drive with the engine running. You won’t be able to drive on battery power, even if you have a full charge, until the FMM is ended.

The FMM doesn’t end until you do something to reduce the "average age" of the gas. Some drive until the gas tank is emptied, and then add new gas (~12 months until the next FMM). Some just add enough new gas to match the "old" gas in the tank (50% old gas, 50% new gas = "average age" of six months, next FMM in 6 months).

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
My wife and I have been Volt owners since Oct. 2013. First was a 2014 Volt Premier and than in July 2016 we traded it for our current Volt, a 2016 Volt Premier.

We use the gas engine more than most in our Volt. We never had to use stabil or any additive in the gas. Its a good idea at least once or twice a month use the gas engine for at least 10 -15 miles or so the engine gets up to operating
temperature. The Volt's engine, at least the Gen 2, is a fuel efficient gasoline engine and you would probably use a quart or even less of gasoline as well, in most places in the U.S. that less than a buck, thats a half cup of coffee....

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
When in doubt about the care, maintenance, fuel, tires, etc. refer to the owner's manual. It's answered there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts