GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The scrape plate, front air deflector and bottom of our front bumper were damaged by a ground scrape. Looking at over $700 to fix. As we all know, the low ground clearance design is important for air flow/wind resistance efficiency reasons, but has anyone had any success using bigger tires or something else simple to get a bit more clearance? When these OEMs are done I’d like to put on bigger tires or some other strategy to get even a bit more more clearance. At this point I’m willing to sacrifice some EV range to make the bottom safer.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
The scrape plate, front air deflector and bottom of our front bumper were damaged by a ground scrape. Looking at over $700 to fix. As we all know, the low ground clearance design is important for air flow/wind resistance efficiency reasons, but has anyone had any success using bigger tires or something else simple to get a bit more clearance? When these OEMs are done I’d like to put on bigger tires or some other strategy to get even a bit more more clearance. At this point I’m willing to sacrifice some EV range to make the bottom safer.

Thanks

Just remove the front air deflector as others have done, don't spend $ to replace the deflector. How-many-bolts-to-attach-the-lower-air-deflector&highlight=front+deflector

How did a ground scrape damage the underside of the front bumper? The only risk I have encountered that might be the height of the bottom edge of the front bumper is a curb that is too high. The concrete parking space blocks I encounter have a standard height. These will not contact the bumper but might make contact the rubber skirt of the deflector.

·
Registered
897 Posts
When selecting snow tires on separate 16" rims for our Volt, I did go with a size that slightly increased ground clearance with no problems. I'm only talking about a 1/4" increase though.

Jon

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When selecting snow tires on separate 16" rims for our Volt, I did go with a size that slightly increased ground clearance with no problems. I'm only talking about a 1/4" increase though.

Jon
Thanks

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just remove the front air deflector as others have done, don't spend $ to replace the deflector. How-many-bolts-to-attach-the-lower-air-deflector&highlight=front+deflector

How did a ground scrape damage the underside of the front bumper? The only risk I have encountered that might be the height of the bottom edge of the front bumper is a curb that is too high. The concrete parking space blocks I encounter have a standard height. These will not contact the bumper but might make contact the rubber skirt of the deflector.
We are getting a pretty inexpensive quote to put it back so I guess we will. If it was expensive I’d have to think about just taking it out.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
When these OEMs are done I’d like to put on bigger tires or some other strategy to get even a bit more more clearance.
Different Size Tires and Wheels

If wheels or tires are installed that are a different size than the original equipment wheels and tires, vehicle performance, including its braking, ride and handling characteristics, stability, and resistance to rollover may be affected. If the vehicle has electronic systems such as antilock brakes, rollover airbags, traction control, electronic stability control, or All-Wheel Drive, the performance of these systems can also be affected.
Per the manual.

·
Registered
805 Posts
You could go totally old-school by wedging the coil springs. I did this on my non-coilover RX-8 to get the aftermarket lowering springs to be not-so-low and to get the the car exactly level. These are sort-of adjustable in that one doesn't have to use the entire circle or have springs that are on the same radius as the product. In my particular case, for example, I cut the circle into 6 pieces, then used two segments on the back and one on the front. Small hose clamps can be used to keep the wedges in place. YMMV.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...ch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=mr gasket 1287

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts