GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have few intermittent issues showing up time to time since I purchased the Volt in April. Now, I hit 12000 miles as well, so I want to take it for the maintenance visit (I guess a free oil change) and have these issues looked at. I had an appointment for today at Westside Chevrolet in Katy, TX. I had noted issues below when I booked the appointment online. When I drove there, the service advisor acted as if she does not have any information about these issues I listed on the appointment details. When I started explaining the regen paddle issue, she was utterly lost. She kept telling me that I cannot slow down a vehicle without using the brake. I tried to explain this is an electric vehicle (or hybrid) but it was fruitless. Then she asked two other advisors, who were very busy with their phone. One of them murmured something and left the room, the other one said type that when braked it jerks forward. I decided not to leave the vehicle, now I am here to learn if there is any reliable Chevy dealer which does actually know that Volt exists and can service it in Houston area.

I would also appreciate if anybody shares if they experienced these issues or solution for them too.

1. When using the regen paddle, Volt sometimes lurches or jerks forward after slowing for a second and two. It happens entirely at random times from my point of view (e.g., at the different state of charges, initial speed starting to slow down, etc.). So, I don't know if this is something commonly experienced by any others. or should be expected (normal).

2. Cruise control stopped working twice after breaking on the highway while the cruise control was engaged initially. The first time it happened, it worked after restarting the car at a rest area. In the second instance, even stopping, turning off the vehicle for a while did not solve the issue. Interestingly about 30 miles later it started working again out of the blue. In both instances, cruise control light was working (would turn on/off) but I was not able to set the speed and engage the cruise control. I was driving 60-70 mph in the traffic when it did not set up after many trials.
3. Again while driving at highway speed, I hear a beeping sound few times and stops by itself. The sound is like beeps you get when a door is open or you don't fasten your seatbelt. None of the indicators lit up; it is just the beep sound. After a few times, I thought perhaps one of the doors was not closed properly. Opened and closed all doors making sure that all of them were closed. When that did not resolve it, I even closed doors with such force that I got scared of shattering the windows or something. To be clear, this is a Volt LT, does not have acc or any other higher tech stuff giving me warning.

Thank you for reading!

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Hi,
I have few intermittent issues showing up time to time since I purchased the Volt in April. Now, I hit 12000 miles as well, so I want to take it for the maintenance visit (I guess a free oil change) and have these issues looked at. I had an appointment for today at Westside Chevrolet in Katy, TX. I had noted issues below when I booked the appointment online. When I drove there, the service advisor acted as if she does not have any information about these issues I listed on the appointment details. When I started explaining the regen paddle issue, she was utterly lost. She kept telling me that I cannot slow down a vehicle without using the brake. I tried to explain this is an electric vehicle (or hybrid) but it was fruitless. Then she asked two other advisors, who were very busy with their phone. One of them murmured something and left the room, the other one said type that when braked it jerks forward. I decided not to leave the vehicle, now I am here to learn if there is any reliable Chevy dealer which does actually know that Volt exists and can service it in Houston area.

I would also appreciate if anybody shares if they experienced these issues or solution for them too.

1. When using the regen paddle, Volt sometimes lurches or jerks forward after slowing for a second and two. It happens entirely at random times from my point of view (e.g., at the different state of charges, initial speed starting to slow down, etc.). So, I don't know if this is something commonly experienced by any others. or should be expected (normal).

2. Cruise control stopped working twice after breaking on the highway while the cruise control was engaged initially. The first time it happened, it worked after restarting the car at a rest area. In the second instance, even stopping, turning off the vehicle for a while did not solve the issue. Interestingly about 30 miles later it started working again out of the blue. In both instances, cruise control light was working (would turn on/off) but I was not able to set the speed and engage the cruise control. I was driving 60-70 mph in the traffic when it did not set up after many trials.
3. Again while driving at highway speed, I hear a beeping sound few times and stops by itself. The sound is like beeps you get when a door is open or you don't fasten your seatbelt. None of the indicators lit up; it is just the beep sound. After a few times, I thought perhaps one of the doors was not closed properly. Opened and closed all doors making sure that all of them were closed. When that did not resolve it, I even closed doors with such force that I got scared of shattering the windows or something. To be clear, this is a Volt LT, does not have acc or any other higher tech stuff giving me warning.

Thank you for reading!
Okay, step one: Call Chevy Customer Care at (800) 222-1020 and tell them you need the name of a Voltec-certified service department near you. They have The List. Not all Chevy dealers are on it. It feels like maybe as many as 15-20% are.

Step 2: specific issues -
1. How bad's the pavement? Regen will cut out if any of the wheels skip, even for a "bad railroad crossing" level of loss of traction. That's Operating As Designed behavior. Regen paddle will also behave differently when a) the charge is very close to full b) when the engine is on, and a few other cases I can't remember. If that bothers you, use the wide pedal on the floor instead -- you won't see a provable difference in range anyway.

2. There are reports of some Gen 2 Volts having badly-installed retaining clips on on the brake pedal, mostly on the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) equipped Volts, but I don't know that those are different from any others since ACC actually rolled out. The symptoms match in that what happens is that the clip interferes with the pedal returning to the fully-released position, which means that the cruise control cannot set because it sees the pedal as being slightly applied. Often, you'll be able to confirm this by (when it happens) putting your foot UNDER the pedal and pushing it UP with your foot, at which point the cruise control will engage. At least temporarily.)

3. Take your cell phone off the passenger seat. (It's usually cell phones. Electronics of any kind can do it. The seat belt alarm is going off because the Volt has no only weight but also capacitance sensors in the seat to tell whether someone's sitting in the seat, and the electronics are making it think someone suddenly materialized in the seat and THEY'RE NOT WEARING THEIR SEATBELT OMG!)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a good experience this past August at Lone Star Chevrolet in Jersey Village. Took my 2012 in for the “Service High Voltage Charging System” error, and they fixed a leak, and had to replace the fluid level sensor to reprogramed the module and clear the error code. They told me it was covered under warranty so I didn't even have to argue to get it covered as some have. They also found that there was a service bulletin outstanding, so I returned a few days later to have that work done as well.

Just two dealings, but both were positive. Another member recommended Norman Frede Chevrolet in Clear Lake, but that was in the complete opposite corner of Houston for me, so I gave Lone Star Chevrolet a shot.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
No matter where I took Volt or ELR, the service writer had no list of my issues that were given during the OnStar or direct dealer call (which seems to go to a call center). They start from scratch every time. Sometimes they don’t even know I have an appointment even though I get email or text notification. And then I get emails after setting an appointment that my car needs service! Sheesh. This is not rocket surgery.

Classic in Grapevine just does cattle-call walk-ins. No appointments. It was actually faster.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Okay, step one: Call Chevy Customer Care at (800) 222-1020 and tell them you need the name of a Voltec-certified service department near you. They have The List. Not all Chevy dealers are on it. It feels like maybe as many as 15-20% are.
I did call. They had no clue which dealers are Voltec certified. I insisted they should have a list and they put me on hold for 10 minutes and finally called the closest dealer to me who claimed they were. I asked them to research the issue and call me back but I haven't heard anything yet.

The dealer I purchased the car from has been completely clueless and has had various troubles performing updates, etc for all 5 service visits over the year and a half I have owned my 2017 volt. I'd love recommendations for a service department in the Chicago area (West/Southwest) suburbs.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I did call. They had no clue which dealers are Voltec certified. I insisted they should have a list and they put me on hold for 10 minutes and finally called the closest dealer to me who claimed they were. I asked them to research the issue and call me back but I haven't heard anything yet.

The dealer I purchased the car from has been completely clueless and has had various troubles performing updates, etc for all 5 service visits over the year and a half I have owned my 2017 volt. I'd love recommendations for a service department in the Chicago area (West/Southwest) suburbs.
If St. Charles isn't too far for you, Don McCue is where I've had all my work done and they've done a phenomenal job of keeping me up-to-date on all the work being performed for the several service trips I've had to have. They also weren't affected by that mechanic's union strike a couple months ago.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for reading!
My new 2018 Volt LT has the same issue with the Regen paddle as yours. Most of the time it works, but occasionally it will lurch forward like the paddle suddenly disengaged. It's a bit scary actually because you are expecting constant slowdown but when it happens and you lurch forward ....well, it's a bit scary. I would be interested to find out what they say when you take it in for service. I am hovering my foot over the brake pedal always when I use the paddle just to be safe.

I wrote about this in another post. Some say that you have to have your foot COMPLETELY off the accelerator pedal otherwise Regen will disengage. Well I did test it making sure my foot was entirely off the accelerator pedal and it can still happen. Others said this is normal....anyway I still think it's a bit scary :) One person with a 2017 said it never happened to them. Here is a link to that thread:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?302105-Re-Gen-paddle-question

·
Registered
874 Posts
My new 2018 Volt LT has the same issue with the Regen paddle as yours. Most of the time it works, but occasionally it will lurch forward like the paddle suddenly disengaged.
I've only had this happen when I either wasn't grabbing the paddle hard enough and it thought I let it go, or when going over gravel or other slick surfaces (or large bumps) which are impossible for regen braking to work on.

My old Toyota Highlander Hybrid was very sensitive to such road conditions and I got used to having to suddenly press the brake harder if the regen cut out.

·
Registered
119 Posts

The web link below can be used to find Volt sales and service:

http://www.mycertifiedservice.com/dealer-locator.html

Check the Volt sales and service box, enter zip code.

Castle Chevy in Villa Park, IL seems to have the largest inventory of Volts and Bolts. In the Chicago area thats like 10 of each. Never brought the car there for service. Philips Chevy in Frankfort, IL used to have a good supply of Volts. There down to 4 or 5 Volts with about 7 Bolts. Service is ok at Phillips but depends on service rep you get. Advantage Chevy in Countryside might be worth a try as well. Most of the other dealers in the area have zero, one or two Volts in inventory. Guess I'm assuming the more Volts they sell the more they will service. There are dealers listed as Volt certified service with zero inventory of Volts. Kind of makes you wonder if they really know what to do when you bring the car in!

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
So you've got the name of a certified service dept now. What does "asked them to research the issue and call you back". You listed three different issues, and so far you've only asked the dealership to do low-priority, free work for you.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
There are dealers listed as Volt certified service with zero inventory of Volts. Kind of makes you wonder if they really know what to do when you bring the car in!
Maybe they sold them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So you've got the name of a certified service dept now. What does "asked them to research the issue and call you back". You listed three different issues, and so far you've only asked the dealership to do low-priority, free work for you.
You seem to have confused me with the original poster. I didn't ask 3 questions. I just want a short list of dealers in the Chicago area with people actually trained to work on the volt so I can call a smaller set of dealers to see which ones have reasonable policies regarding loaners, can get work done quickly, etc. You said customer care has such a list. When I called them as you suggested to the OP, they said they didn't know about such a list so I asked them to find it and call me back. They called me back today and still claim they don't have such a list. Are they wrong? Are dealers who don't have voltec certified service allowed to sell the Volt? The dealer who sold me mine doesn't seem to have a clue. Should I call customer care again and ask for a manager? I don't trust the people I'm likely to reach when I call the dealer service departments to even know if they have people trained on the volt power train.

·
Registered
874 Posts
You seem to have confused me with the original poster. I didn't ask 3 questions. I just want a short list of dealers in the Chicago area with people actually trained to work on the volt so I can call a smaller set of dealers to see which ones have reasonable policies regarding loaners, can get work done quickly, etc. You said customer care has such a list. When I called them as you suggested to the OP, they said they didn't know about such a list so I asked them to find it and call me back. They called me back today and still claim they don't have such a list. Are they wrong? Are dealers who don't have voltec certified service allowed to sell the Volt? The dealer who sold me mine doesn't seem to have a clue. Should I call customer care again and ask for a manager? I don't trust the people I'm likely to reach when I call the dealer service departments to even know if they have people trained on the volt power train.
I bought mine CPO from Wickstrom, which had a L2 charger installed at the dealer, making me think they sell them regularly, but I'm not sure if that means they have a Voltec-certified mechanic there or not. They definitely didn't treat my car very well before selling it to me (tires were in the low 20s, plugs needed to be replaced at 3k miles, LiIon battery replaced at 4k miles, FMM kicked in while I was driving home from the dealer, battery was at 0 miles when I test drove it and who knows how long before then).

Don McCue has fixed all my issues and they for sure have a Voltec-certified mechanic. The first Volt I test drove was a brand new 2017 at McCue. They are pretty far west from the city, though.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
They certainly *had* such a list two years ago. They were quite emphatic that I was not to go to one dealership (who sold and serviced my Cavalier for years) and instead another that was possibly more convenient but certainly not closer to my garage. And I *have* seen at least one Volt with that first dealer's sticker on it in the city. You can draw your own conclusions, but I hope you at least understand WHY I'm saying what I do.

As for why I confused you for the original poster, you answered my response to OP in a manner that sounded as though it were part of the prior conversation. ("I did call. They had no clue which dealers are Voltec certified.") You also said "they put me on hold for 10 minutes and finally called the closest dealer to me who claimed they were." Which sounds like exactly the same three-way conference that I got two years ago as an introduction. Finally, you asked "them" (not specifying whether it was Customer Care or the dealer service department that it sounds like you were talking to at the time) to "research the question", and no question was identified.

Now, I'm willing to admit that I'm confused, but I'm confused because it seems like you keep switching subject mid-sentence and that makes it a little difficult to follow. Was it Customer Care (who had you on hold for ten minutes) or you that called the "closest dealer to me who claimed they were". How did you learn of this claim to service Volts, if that second was the case? If the first was the case, it kind of say "No, Customer Care does have a list; they used it to find that dealer.")

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Step 2: specific issues -
1. How bad's the pavement? Regen will cut out if any of the wheels skip, even for a "bad railroad crossing" level of loss of traction. That's Operating As Designed behavior. Regen paddle will also behave differently when a) the charge is very close to full b) when the engine is on, and a few other cases I can't remember. If that bothers you, use the wide pedal on the floor instead -- you won't see a provable difference in range anyway.

2. There are reports of some Gen 2 Volts having badly-installed retaining clips on on the brake pedal, mostly on the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) equipped Volts, but I don't know that those are different from any others since ACC actually rolled out. The symptoms match in that what happens is that the clip interferes with the pedal returning to the fully-released position, which means that the cruise control cannot set because it sees the pedal as being slightly applied. Often, you'll be able to confirm this by (when it happens) putting your foot UNDER the pedal and pushing it UP with your foot, at which point the cruise control will engage. At least temporarily.)

3. Take your cell phone off the passenger seat. (It's usually cell phones. Electronics of any kind can do it. The seat belt alarm is going off because the Volt has no only weight but also capacitance sensors in the seat to tell whether someone's sitting in the seat, and the electronics are making it think someone suddenly materialized in the seat and THEY'RE NOT WEARING THEIR SEATBELT OMG!)
Thank you and everybody else for the information and sorry for not following up on this one earlier. I will call the number and see if they have a list.
For others,
1. Honestly speaking, I think pavement was not any better or worse than any other pavement (road) I don't experience the issue. However, this is not a scientific observation. For charge issue, I had it happening when it is almost full (when I leave the home) or almost empty or 20-30 left (when I am returning the home). As another person mentioned, it is kind scary to experience it at first.

2. Brake pedal actually makes a lot of sense. Because it always happens after I brake. By the way, I think Volt accumlates a lot more brake dust than Subaru Forester and Prius we have for similar driving. It was also one of the items, I put on my service appointment but forgot mentioning in the original post.

3. I thought of something similar when I it happened first time, I blamed my wallet on the seat. However, it happened when there was nothing on the seat as well. So, I guess I will keep an eye on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts