GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have concerns that there may not be parts available in the future since the production run was so low number?

What is the worst that could happen using the car 10 years and a part is not available?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hard to get some parts for any GM car over 10 years old. I tried to buy a sun visor for my '92 Bonneville in around 2000 and couldn't get one. Mechanical parts are available for longer. Interior stuff is a different story.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is such a nice car and mine is not a lease. I plan to drive it for its life for however many miles that is. I figure warrantee will take me the first years and then do the best I can. Some people are telling me it might not be the best car for longer term due to parts though. Similar to any other car except low numbers made.

Is there any specific part that would be a concern? Just throwing this out in case I am missing a major potential issue.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Does anyone have concerns that there may not be parts available in the future since the production run was so low number?

What is the worst that could happen using the car 10 years and a part is not available?
Not at all. GM treats the Volt parts as they do with their other vehicles. Usually ~10 years is a magic number for parts availability.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Many of the components like brake calipers, suspension parts, tie rods, window actuators, door locks, etc, are fairly standard kinds of things that other kinds of cars have and should be easy to find for a very long time. The electric drivetrain components are more unique, but may have some commonality with the gen 2 Volt in some cases. As EV technology continues to become more popular, these kinds of components should be more readily available. For instance, if your inverter blows in 20 years, it may be hard to find the original part number, but there may be other inverters that would work at that time.

I've never seen a car that was economically practical to own after it is about 10-15 years old, assuming typical use of 12-15K miles driven per year. I don't think parts will be a significant problem within that timeframe.

The biggest question mark in this area is the battery pack. But I believe they will either last or it will become possible to get a rebuilt one fairly easily.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

is 80,000 a low number? that depends on you perspective I think. Once a car is 10 years old, how much will it be worth? and once one of my cars gets to be 10 years old, I stop worrying about bits and pieces of trim not fitting. I expect drive train and suspension and steering and brake parts to be available at least through 2025, 10 years after the last Gen 1 was made. NO, I'm not worried, Besides by 2025, replacement parts might just be made to order through additive manufacturing processes...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is 80,000 a low number? that depends on you perspective I think. Once a car is 10 years old, how much will it be worth? and once one of my cars gets to be 10 years old, I stop worrying about bits and pieces of trim not fitting. I expect drive train and suspension and steering and brake parts to be available at least through 2025, 10 years after the last Gen 1 was made. NO, I'm not worried, Besides by 2025, replacement parts might just be made to order through additive manufacturing processes...
80,000 is a high fantasy number for a 2 year run of a car. 2014 and 2016. However the true number is around 2300 in 2014 and 450 in 2016. So in true numbers it is a low production run.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is more background for the question. In my situation there have been problems with parts already.

2016 CPO car 7000 miles driven by GM employee

1. Driver's seat back broken. Needed to be backordered and took 2 weeks with them saying it was not easily available.

2. Passenger door lock no red LED with door locked. They ordered the mechanism and it was replaced.

3. Driver Assist failure and needed dealer work. They said it was fixed but it wasn't.

4. Driver Assist failure and needed to have the outside driver seat buzzer replaced. Buzzer thing available but seat cushion not available at all. Needed to have the Brand New Car sent to an upholstery shop locally and have a seat bottom cushion fabricated. ELR seat parts are not available from GM anymore. (Apparently) Took 2 weeks.

5. Brought in for a paint issue, no big thing. But I asked them to update the software since it was at the dealer and it was a free upgrade. There was an iPhone upgrade so it was attempted. The upgrade led to the NAV not working. GM said replaced circuit board was required. Circuit board not available. I asked them to keep trying to get the part and after 6 weeks they did get one to repair the car.

6. Got the car back. After 3 days I opened the door and the alarm siren started and would not stop. I was at a lunch meeting for work and was delayed getting back to work. Siren lasted 10-15 minutes and Onstar and GM service on the phone helped the situation with a series of starting and stopping the car until siren stopped.

7. Currently after the siren issue the heated seats and the light for the PRNDL do not work. Some searching shows the random siren issue and the heated seats and PRNDL out are related. Some posts show all it is that it needs to be reset by disconnecting the negative 12 volt battery connector. Other thread said circuit board for the heated seats is backordered part.

8. It has had random sudden setting off the front collision alarm with the red windshield light and loud warning sound happen but seems to have stopped since the driver assist fixed so I hope that was related and fixed.

It is a fantastic car. I have never had a better car to drive. It is just a drive to work car so the essentially 2 seat car is fine. Very, Very nice car. I like it.

I hope to use it as a commuter for a long time but the above issues are a concern. The dealer has offered me to exchange the car for a different CPO used car they have but nothing else comes close.

I have had a 2016 ATS and XTS at different times for loaners but they are not the same as the ELR.

The dealer has been outstanding. Cadillac paid for 2 car payments over time since they had it in the shop so long. Cadillac Concierge has been outstanding backing up the car and answering questions. Cadillac has me covered with the warrantee and I am very pleased with knowing they will help. Until they can't due to no parts. Is there any part that would disable this car?

I definitely recommend the ELR as an outstanding car. And wholeheartedly recommend Cadillac dealer help as far as they can.

So, should I go with the trade or keep the ELR?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts