GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At around the end of this month, if the news is correct, I will be in the market for a new car. Having looked at the Volt, it is currently at the top of my shortlist.

Any useful comments that people would make to a potential owner? Likes/dislike and the sort?

The only thing that sort-of concerns me is the "hassle" of having to plug in the vehicle every day. I went in the past from filling up every 3-4 day, to every 7-10 on my current car and it was nice. But then again, I do have free L2 charging at my work.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I am admittedly biased, we have two gen 1 Volts and love them. These have been very reliable, cheap to own and fun to drive. With workplace charging how could you go wrong? I say go for it, you won't miss the gas station.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you are worried about the hassle of plugging in, you could look at Plugless. www.pluglesspower.com I have one pre-ordered and should be getting it for my Gen 2 fairly soon. My neighbor has 2 Gen 1's and has a Plugless for each of them. They LOVE them. Also, their customer support is out of this world.

I came from driving a truck and absolutely love this car! I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
At around the end of this month, if the news is correct, I will be in the market for a new car. Having looked at the Volt, it is currently at the top of my shortlist.

Any useful comments that people would make to a potential owner? Likes/dislike and the sort?

The only thing that sort-of concerns me is the "hassle" of having to plug in the vehicle every day. I went in the past from filling up every 3-4 day, to every 7-10 on my current car and it was nice. But then again, I do have free L2 charging at my work.
It really quickly becomes just part of the "I've arrived" routine, and about as much hassle as remembering to put your sunglasses away or closing a garage door.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It's more hassle to buy gas than to plug in. Like, infinitely more.
If you're talking remove portable cord, plug into wall, plug into car. Then roll up when finished.
Yeah, that's hassle.
But you just buy yourself a fixed wall mount 240V unit and it's right beside your car when you park each day.
3 seconds, tops.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Yes, plugging in to a fixed charger makes life simplier. It's not just the speed of the 240v charging, it's the convenience. 5 seconds tops and it becomes reflex when you park.

But it's not absolutely necessary to have a 240v charger either.

While there are complaints about Volts just like all cars, the owner satisfaction is one of the highest today. And lots of people who either buy more than 1 Volt, or trade in their old Volt for a new one. They are addictive.

I can drive two different Corvettes, or two different nicely equipped trucks. But my first choice is always a Volt.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have 2 Gen 1 Volts as well and I find that since I have a carport, it is a little harder than a garage, but the same principles apply. I have an outlet and a L2 charger.

Between the wife and I, we either move the L1 charger everyday (or I just leave it there hanging) so that when we get home, we hit a button, open the port and plug in. Then you move on with your day and see that it has been charged the next morning.

If I were to go the "gas" route, which I had a CRV before, I would be going to Costco which is about 5 miles away, wait about 10 to 20 minutes in line and then gas for a couple of minutes. Now I just spend a minute or two a day to make sure I'm charging and only get gas once every 2 - 3 weeks. I think it just becomes second nature after a while.

As far as my impressions of the Volt:
Fun to drive, you play the MPG game a lot (even my wife), you enjoy the silence

Given the choice of my ICE CRV/Camry, I would take the Volt any day.
I save money overall by not spending on gas.
I think about the Volt a lot and how to be efficient.
I am on PlugShare constantly looking for new places to charge for cheap/free.
My biggest gripe with the Volt is the view through the front window. I have the seat fairly far back and the structure gets in my way so I have to look around. Other than being more alert, it is a really good car.
No major issues in 10K miles in 5 months.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I just bought a Volt a couple of days ago, I traded in a 2006 Chrysler 300C which is a large V8 Hemi powered car. Here are my initial impressions.

Highlights
The drive train is really smooth and quiet on both battery and gas modes. I only have 125 miles on mine so far but half has been on battery and half on gas and I can't tell the difference. The reason that I've been running on gas is that my outdoor outlets are dead for some reason (I've reset the breakers and GFIs but no joy) so I haven't charged the battery. My electrician is coming next week to install a 240V EVSE and to fix my outlets, in the mean time I've just run a power cord out the window and I'm charging it at the lower rate (8A vs 12A for the faster 120V charge rate) so it will be charged by tomorrow.

Handling is really good.

Acceleration is very good for a car of this class. It's not the rocket that my 300C was but it will get you onto the highway fast enough (I've read that it's 7.8 seconds 0-60). Electric motors deliver all of their torque all the time so even though the total horse power is low by conventional car standards it accelerates like a conventional car with a 100 more HP.

Visibility is very good, take this with a grain of salt, I'm coming from a 300C which had the visibility of a submarine.

The electronics are great. I'm using Android Auto and it's fantastic. My Volt also has built in Nav but like all built in nav systems it's pathetic compared to Google Maps which is what's running on ANdroid Auto, the built in nav is backup for areas where there is no cell coverage. The Bose sound system is also great. The car comes with 3 years of OnStar, I didn't think this would be useful but it turns out it is because you can access it from an app and do things like lock the doors or start it from anywhere in the world that has internet coverage. I love the backup camera. It also can park itself (I haven't succeeded in doing this yet, I'm going to watch the You Tube videos again before I give it another go). The car is festooned with RADARs so it has a lot of collision avoidance features and they seem to be well though out.

Fuel economy is amazing, I've used .6 gallons and one full charge.

Lowlights

It has practically no trunk space.
Back seats don't have a lot of legroom.
No sunroof option.
Don't think it has rain sensors, I'll miss that.
The seats are manual not power, however they are comfortable and the manual adjustments are easy enough.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just got the news my 2017 order is "Bayed" and awaiting shipment.

The hassle of plugging isn't a hassle at all... even if a gas station is only 5 min from your house, add up the time round trip you spend getting there and back and the time pumping. Divide that by 3 seconds and see how many times you will be able to plug in and still be on the saving side of time.

I'm quite looking forward to only having to go to a gas station every month or two :)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
My only "complaint" is that now I have to make a special trip to buy lottery tickets, (I used to get them at the gas station.) But wait......I get to drive my new Volt........never mind, no complaints here.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts

Obviously, the car isn't perfect. No car is. The main thing is, after you start driving electric, you'll dread every moment you have to use gas. Then, after the ICE engages, you completely forget that you are running on gasoline. Still, for me anyway, it makes you long for the day that gasoline is a distant memory.

And as others have said, there is no hassle in plugging in, even if you do it multiple times. It's less hassle than putting up a windscreen shield, and slightly more hassle than remembering to lock your car when you walk away. You could literally plug in/unplug a hundred times with less inconvenience than it takes you to go to the gas station one time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
With free L2 charging at your workplace, You will find it very hard not to smile every time you pass a gas station. Test drive one and put it in sport mode and you will wonder why you did not drive one sooner.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Charging is no hassle. A hassle is going yo the gas station and finding prices jumped $0.30/gsllon for no good reason.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you have a free Level 2 charging station, then you should already be a Volt owner. The big challenges are trying to complete research to find charging stations on long trip and trying to heat the cabin in winter.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Since you can charge at work and at home while sleeping (even a Level 1 EVSE will suffice) and wake up with a full battery you are the perfect candidate for a plug-in EV.

You will love not having to go to the gas station every few days. But I would invest in a Level II EVSE for your home. That's the PERFECT set up.

·
Registered
139 Posts

What news is this, that says you need a new car? OPEC quotas and $60 oil? I'm curious...

Anyway, you had me at "free L2 charging at my work". Plugging in isn't a concern at all. You can tell the app on your smartphone to remind you to plug in, if you haven't already done so. I get a text at 7PM reminding me to plug in, then it's out to the garage, if I've forgotten. But to be honest, I haven't forgotten in months, but I do get the text if I'm out for dinner or something and I'm just not home yet. And now I've come full circle--I was shocked to see gas in Markham at $1.11 per Litre. But no biggie. I just miss not having the squeegie to do my back window while I fill up. I buy gas less than monthly at this point and I kind of hate it now.

Likes: I like how when I get a relative or friend to test drive my car, they punch it but there's no engine noise, they laugh out loud. There's decent torque here, but no sound other than what my brother called an Iron Man kind of whirring sound. It doesn't make sense to people that there's no screaming ICE, but you come to appreciate the quietness

I like that 10,000 kms in, my engine oil has 75% useful life left

I got all the convenience packages and premier trim--I like all the bells and whistles

I'm not really feeling Android Auto. I have a Note 5 but the screen freezes when I'm navigating around town, or goes completely blank. Might be the cable.

Range is quirky: 20% better range than advertised now that it's Spring and warm out, but 20% worse range during the winter due to heating the cabin. It all works out in the end, but I'm not looking forward to Winter again when range will go down to 65-70kms (it was a 101kms this morning).

I never used HomeLink with my Lexus IS350 before the Volt, so I don't know what I'm missing here... but many people do lament that there isn't a HomeLink with the Gen II for one's garage door.

And I guess if I really try to nit pick, the foot rest on the driver's side is too close. Honestly I'm reaching here (pardon the pun), this is a great car and I'm very very pleased with it so far. Six months in, still in the honeymoon phase!!!

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
It's actually just the opposite. Plugging in at home is way more convenient than trips to the gas station.
+1

Before the Volt, there were times it'd be like 11PM at night just before I was planning to go to bed, and then I realized that the car was way low on gas. Not wanting to waste time in the morning stopping by a gas station, I begrudgingly went out to a gas station and filled up, which usually took at least 15-20 minutes.

Going outside to plug-in before bed? Takes about 30 seconds tops. AND I don't have to go to a dirty (and sometimes dangerous) gas station in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My only "complaint" is that now I have to make a special trip to buy lottery tickets, (I used to get them at the gas station.) But wait......I get to drive my new Volt........never mind, no complaints here.
LOL, my complaint was that I no longer wash my car at the gas station car wash and have to make a trip to the car wash when my car starts looking grubby. :D

Keith

1 - 20 of 39 Posts