GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Electronic equipment can fail at any time due to a power surge or physical damage. If it a quality EVSE such as CC and it survives its first 12 months of normal residential service it will probably go on to last as long as you own the plug-in vehicle.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I had an HCS 40P that failed in the first few months of ownership. I contacted CC, gave the tech the fault code pattern and he knew based on my serial number exactly what it was. He told me he was shipping out a new unit and I shipped mine back. The original one had a gray housing (I remember him asking me that on the phone, what color was the housing) and the new one was black. No problems with the new unit and CC customer service was excellent.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
We purchased a HCS 40 Clipper Creek unit when they first came out in the fall of 2013. After a month of use the handle had something loose inside it. I contacted Clipper Creek and they sent me a new unit and a free shipping tag to send back the old unit in the same box they sent out the new unit of course. We easily installed the new unit and have been using it ever since to charge now our 2016 Volt, as back then we purchased the charger for our 2014 Volt.

I have been well pleased with their quality of service and support. Also their products I believe are made in USA, another plus.....

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well I have 5 CC units now, 2 in the cars, 2 in the garage (that are used every day), and one that I bought from a user here. All have been fine, no issues.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am so glad I opted for the CC LCS-20 as opposed to a cheaper off brand. I hear nothing but good things from the folks who own the CC units. When I ordered mine on Friday, I spoke with Joel Klingenberg, who was just fantastic. Just to show appreciation, he's even throwing in a T-shirt for me. My experience with the EV world is just beginning, but it's been really good so far...

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
My LCS-25 is over 4 years old and still going strong. We are building a new home and had the builder install a 50amp NEMA 14-50 plug so we just bought a CC HCS-50P. CC is the gold standard for EVSE.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
You might ask: Are there ANY L2 EVSE failures?

My kit assembled L2 Juicebox (with a $99 amazon J1772 cord) is 'plugging' :eek: along fine after +5 years. It cost me ~$275 total back then.
I later added an $18 kWh meter display to the enclosure.

Now L2's can be bought complete, ready to plugin for way less!
So they are cheap chinese crap. So what?
EVSE are just a very small circuit board and a bigazz relay. Not much in the little boxes.
I helped hardwire a 40A CC L2 and inside the box it's mostly air.:confused: And where does CC get its components from?

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
The reason for the additional space inside the housing of the CC HCS series of EVSE is to ensure adequate cooling of the EVSE. Heat is the enemy of all electronic components. At higher power levels the HCS series of EVSE could benefit from a built-in cooling fan but that would be one more component that could possibly fail. Also, it would be more expensive to construct an all-weather rated ventilated housing than one that is sealed.

My experience with CC has been excellent. My LCS-20P EVSE has performed flawlessly. One observation, CC builds their EVSE to operate within precise industry specifications for allowable voltage, current and line noise. If your house wiring is in any way compromised (bad ground, ground loops, excessive noise on any of the hot or ground wires) or you have an appliance in your home that is adding noise to the house wiring this may cause a CC EVSE to display a fault. You will have to correct the problem with the wiring or unplug, possibly replace, the offending appliance.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
... Heat is the enemy of all electronic components. At higher power levels the HCS series of EVSE could benefit from a built-in cooling fan ...
It is a very small Circuit Board and a bigger than needed for the Amp rating relay. (the 80% continuous duty rule.)
Neither should make much heat at all. Around 2-3 watts when the board is just idling, correct?
A closed relay should not make much heat. The goes in / goes out wires should not make any heat, ideally.
And this why the newer, smaller EVSE are now the norm.

Maybe 'Marketing' says to make them bigger. Bigger Amp rating, "must have a bigger housing", even though the actual relay is only a fraction bigger physically and the board is same.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
The CC HCS series of EVSE are available with ratings up to 80 amps although the popular HCS-40 EVSE can provide a maximum of 32 amps to the EV. The cooler the operating temperature the better. The lower power rated CC LCS series of EVSE are rated for a maximum of 30 amps, deliver up to 24 amps to the vehicle. The LCS series of EVSE have a more compact case design that proves adequate for the lower power.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I've had my Clipper Creek 240v charger for 6 years now and it still seems to be going strong. Has anyone experienced any failures or had to buy a replacement yet?
The 5 year old GM provided charge cord that came with my volt was made by clipper creek (at least thats what it says inside the box and I has had 2 failures though 2x daily charges being plugged in at home and the moved to work every day
first- the PVC overwrap has separated from the cord where it comes out of the box,
second- it failed to avoid my snowblower when it should of and got wound around auger and cut in half, I fixed it with wire nuts and electrical tape and its still going strong....
yes, I know I have one of those "underground feeder cable" repair splices with the waterproof shrink tube insulation that I really should install someday. maybe this weekend...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a ClipperCreek L1 cable. My Volt recently stopped charging. When I plug in the Volt's dash light flashes yellow then goes out. The EVSE flashes red "charging fault". The dealer is blaming (repairs not finished yet but they have made ugly comments) the "aftermarket" charging cable.

Does anybody know if there's any official statements from GM, either banning any non-OEM charging cables at risk of voiding your warranty, or approving ClipperCreek cables?

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I have a ClipperCreek L1 cable. My Volt recently stopped charging. When I plug in the Volt's dash light flashes yellow then goes out. The EVSE flashes red "charging fault". The dealer is blaming (repairs not finished yet but they have made ugly comments) the "aftermarket" charging cable.

Does anybody know if there's any official statements from GM, either banning any non-OEM charging cables at risk of voiding your warranty, or approving ClipperCreek cables?
Never heard of that. When I had an issue with my 2017 Volt the service manager asked that I bring the OE Level 1 EVSE with the vehicle so that it could be tested along with the Volt's charging system. I explained that I used a CC LCS-20 EVSE at home but I did as the service manager requested and placed the OE EVSE in the hatch storage area.

You can eliminate the CC EVSE as the source of the problem if you try to charge at a public Level 2 charging station. Also, if you have the Level 1 EVSE that comes with the vehicle try to charge and check for errors.

The CC EVSE is very reliable, unlikely to be the source of any issue with the Volt's charging system. It is possible that your Volt was damaged by a power surge (for example, during an electrical storm.) It is possible for a power surge to pass through electrical equipment such as your CC EVSE only to damage something downstream.

If GM took the position that your Volt warranty would be voided if you used a non-GM EVSE then you would never be able to use a public charging station or charge while at work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I went through two or three, I forget exactly how many, OEM cables. GM replaced the first two I think (under warranty), then refused. I switched to ClipperCreek and for about 6 years, until a few days ago, never had a problem. I don't have a working OEM cable to try. I certainly wish I'd tested with a public charger. But in eight years I've never used a public charger. I stopped at a Walgreens once that had one, but couldn't figure out how to use it. How could anybody be in a drugstore long enough to get any miles anyway?? Its funny, in my research now on the ClipperCreek website one of the comments says the person had exactly the same experience I had with the OEM chargers for a Volt. Then I read the comment above that said that ClipperCreek makes GM's charging cables. But I don't know if that's true, or when it might have started. Further research required.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I went through two or three, I forget exactly how many, OEM cables. GM replaced the first two I think (under warranty), then refused. I switched to ClipperCreek and for about 6 years, until a few days ago, never had a problem. I don't have a working OEM cable to try. I certainly wish I'd tested with a public charger. But in eight years I've never used a public charger. I stopped at a Walgreens once that had one, but couldn't figure out how to use it. How could anybody be in a drugstore long enough to get any miles anyway?? Its funny, in my research now on the ClipperCreek website one of the comments says the person had exactly the same experience I had with the OEM chargers for a Volt. Then I read the comment above that said that ClipperCreek makes GM's charging cables. But I don't know if that's true, or when it might have started. Further research required.
CC manufactures the circuit board used in the current GM EVSE. GM's Dephi assembles the EVSE.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Do you regularly plug/unplug the EVSE from the power receptacle? The problem might be related to a loose ground wire connection or a worn out receptacle. Did the CC EVSE display any warning lights?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have two HCS-40's -- one at home and one I used to have at work. The one at work was 100% reliable. The one at home faults about one time in ten and I have to reset it by cycling the circuit breaker. It's not bothered me enough to call tech support at Clipper Creek, however.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have two HCS-40's -- one at home and one I used to have at work. The one at work was 100% reliable. The one at home faults about one time in ten and I have to reset it by cycling the circuit breaker. It's not bothered me enough to call tech support at Clipper Creek, however.
The pattern of lights on ClipperCreek units signify what type of fault the unit has encountered. Look for your manual here: https://www.clippercreek.com/installation-manuals/

It could be something like a ground fault....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts