GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have a 2014 Federal tax liability you may find it in your best interest to find a new 2012 to 2014 aggressively priced! The Federal EV tax credit goes up to $7500 or your Federal 2014 tax liability up to $7500 but it is not a credit that carries forward! Don't always go buy a listed price on Cars.com or Autotrader! If you do your homework you can find the car you want and get it at! a great price

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't have the money to buy a new, or such vehicle. I only have about $22k to spend but would like it below $20k.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You don't "find" a deal, you make a deal. Most Volts are priced well above market value, you're certainly not going to just stumble across a great deal advertised on the internet. You've got to work to get the price down to where it should be.

Decide on your price first, find a bunch of cars that fit your requirements and go to work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I really don't have the money to buy a new, or such vehicle. I only have about $22k to spend but would like it below $20k.
Depending on your response to post #2, this amount can get you a NEW volt (after tax incentive deduction).
I see brand new 14's offered at around 28k before tax and tag, and as mentioned above, it's only an asking price and the ball is your camp as far as making offers.

But even if you keep short of negotiating: 28k - 7.5k (total tax liability "cash back")= 21.5k
Right in your ball park.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Depending on your response to post #2, this amount can get you a NEW volt (after tax incentive deduction).
I see brand new 14's offered at around 28k before tax and tag, and as mentioned above, it's only an asking price and the ball is your camp as far as making offers.

But even if you keep short of negotiating: 28k - 7.5k (total tax liability "cash back")= 21.5k
Right in your ball park.
Unless the OP doesn't have the $7.5 to spend.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Right in your ball park.
The problem with this is (and it is the problem I am struggling with right now,) is that you still have to come up with the whole nut when you make the purchase. That 7.5K isn't yours until tax time.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The problem with this is (and it is the problem I am struggling with right now,) is that you still have to come up with the whole nut when you make the purchase. That 7.5K isn't yours until tax time.
Not necessarily true.

First, most people finance (and at incredibly low rates), so you really only need to come up with interest on the $7,500 for a few months.

Second, there is no reason to wait until you file your tax return to start benefiting; you can immediately adjust your withholdings or estimated tax payments. I haven't had a dime withheld from my paycheck since I bought my car earlier this year, because I know it would all be refunded when I file my return in April.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For what's it worth.
I am also in the market for a used Volt. 2013 or earlier. There are a lot of errors on web sites of the description of the Volts for sale at the various Dealer car lots. A good way to know the trim level is to decode the VIN. I bought new MY2013 in Apr of last year and have just turned over 26000 miles. 91% is electric. Bar none this is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I live in Oklahoma and for me my main option was heated seats because of the cold weather here. You have to have leather seats for this option on the 2013 and earlier models. My VIN is 1G1RB. The "B" stands for heated leather seats - NO NAV. There are deals out there. If you know what trim level you like to have, it helps to know what the VIN signifies and then compare pricing. For me it's a "B" or "D". Thanks to davewilks for the VIN explanation.

davewilks

06-06-2012, 05:47 PM

The Chevy Volt VIN

A typical Chevy Volt VIN looks like this: 1G1RF6E46CU114062, is 17 characters in length, alphas are always capitalized and 'I', 'O' and 'Q' are not used.

Characters 1-3 are constant for the Chevy Volt. '1G1' means that the vehicle is manufactured in the USA by General Motors and that the vehicle is a Chevrolet passenger car.

Character 4 defines the platform type, Delta II/Voltec, and is always 'R' for the Volt.

Character 5, the platform series code, has the following values and meanings, ‘E’ through ‘H’ also meets CA enhanced AT PZEV requirements.

'9': Export
'A' and ‘E’: Standard Trim, No Leather, No Navigation.
'B' and ‘F’: Premium Trim, Leather, No Navigation.
'C' and ‘G’: Standard Trim, No Leather, with Navigation.
'D' and ‘H’: Premium Trim, Leather, with Navigation.

Character 6 tells the body type. A Chevy Volt will have a '6' in this position designating a four-door sedan hatchback.

Character 7 is the restraint system used in the vehicle. So far it has always been an 'E' which means: Dual air bag; side air bag-front; active belts-manual.

Character 8 is the engine type. This has always been a '4' for the Volt.

Character 9 is a check digit. The following Perl code replaces the underscore of the VIN in the first line of Perl code with the correct check digit and prints the resultant VIN.

$vin = $tra = "1G1RF6E4_CU114062";
$vin =~ m/^1G1R[9,A-H]6E4_[A-Z0-9]U\d{6}$/ or do {
print "Check VIN!\n";
exit;
};
$tra =~ tr/ABCDEFGHJKLMNPRSTUVWXYZ/12345678123457923456789/;
@tra = split //, $tra;
@mul = split //, "8765432A098765432";
for ($i=0;$i<17;$i++) {$sum+=$tra[$i]*hex($mul[$i])}
$sum %= 11;
substr($vin,8,1) = $sum==10 ? 'X' : $sum;
print "$vin\n";

Character 10 designates the model year: 'A'=2010, 'B'=2011, 'C'=2012, 'D'=2013 and so on.

Character 11 designates the plant where the vehicle was manufactured. 'U' means 'Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant'.

Characters 12 through 17 are the 'Sequence Number" and are numeric for the Chevy Volt. The first one built in each model year is designated as '100001' and are sequential thereafter for the remainder of the model year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts