GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I understand from this forum, the 2016 Volt no longer requires premium gasoline. But is there still a mileage benefit to premium vs regular gas?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
As I understand from this forum, the 2016 Volt no longer requires premium gasoline. But is there still a mileage benefit to premium vs regular gas?
Generally the computer is programmed to run the specific octane rating meanings odds are there would be no benefit yet I'm not sure anyone has actually tried...If you google your question, tons of pages of non-Volts reporting no benefit by using premium fuel on a car that recommends 87...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Just like every other vehicle out there, using a higher octane than the vehicle is programmed for is a waste of money. No performance benefits.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Just like every other vehicle out there, using a higher octane than the vehicle is programmed for is a waste of money. No performance benefits.
Correct. Octane is simply a measure of the fuels resistance to pre-ignition. The Gen I Volt gas engine was designed to use a fuel that required a higher resistance to pre-ignition.

The Gen II Volt employs direct injection which when the fuel vaporizes under pressure creates a cooling effect. This allows the Gen II Volt to run higher a compression ratio and yet get away with using regular gas.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
No. Gen 2 is designed to run on regular. Needing premium was a common complaint about Gen 1. GM fixed that. Gen 2 gets better gas mileage and runs on regular and now people still ask about using fuel different than recommended. What the heck is wrong with using what it says in the manual?

What is supposed to be gained?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
That is FALSE.
Staying fresher longer I think was indeed one of the arguments for premium in Gen 1. Maybe there is some truth to it, or maybe the octane rating stays acceptable longer..... It there's any difference in might not be very much.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You could use High Octane. Most cars have an adaptive algorithm, because not all "Hi" are created equal. Some states have 94 and some (CA) have 91. The engine take a day or so to adopt.

The Volt that was designed to to run of lower grade gas, the gain in efficiency from running on high octane will be so small that it will not pay back the difference in gas cost.

High Octane gas has better cleaners. But again, if you drive a 17 MPG car, and drive a lot, maybe you can justify the difference in cleaning power, MAYBE..

As fas as gas longevity in the tank, unfortunately, the program that decide to burn some gas every so often does not know which gas you put in your tank.

I know people that feel they treat their cars better by using high octane, or add gas and oil additives, but for the most part those things do not do much good especially for an electric car such as a Volt.

·
Registered
418 Posts
What about zero ethanol gas? I actually have that available at one station where I live. Of course it's much more expensive.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No guarantee that the additives in premium are any better. Top Tier, for example, requires all grades meet the same standards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts