GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

After tomorrow I will be joining your ranks instead of lusting and planning mods for a car I do not have:) I will be purchasing a 2013 Volt tomorrow and have 5-6 to choose from.

I'd like to know what to look for as far as wear and if there are any indications of a "lemon" Volt that I should look for before purchasing?

I am already familiar with inspecting ICE engine but I'n new to the Volt and want to make sure I get the best one on the lot that will give the least trouble in the future....

Thank you all for helping me to make the leap and go electric!!!!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The ones with the most factory warranty miles/months left on them are your safest bets. That way most of the expensive drive train and battery/charging parts are covered.

Check to make sure the original charger and air compressor are under the rear hatch.

Some owners may have been careless getting in the driver's seat, look to see if the weather strip around the driver's door is ripped or coming apart at the back edge.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do thank you!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Most is the same as buying any other car:

- Go for a factory warranty. If n/a buy a warranty to cover drivetrain.
- Check CarFax
- Check tires and other wear points not covered by warranty.
- Overall inspection. Ripples in the paint? Evidence of high wear such as rock bruising on lower body. Glass all good?
- Check all functions. A/C, heating, engine runs well, drives straight, stops straight, etc.

·
Registered
13,563 Posts
Will do thank you!
Look under each wheel well for any sign of overspray from bodywork (alas if the car is black, this will be tougher to spot, but white is easy). Lifetime Mpg should give you an indication of how much the battery has been used vs. the ICE. I'd go for a car with low ice miles and higher electric miles as the ice wears out, the battery is very pampered. If you are buying from a Chevy dealer, make them check it has all the software updates.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only additional thought was to take it to a dealer to see if there are any codes reported ?

I also have an OBDII ELM 327 wifi reader I can use with my phone but I am hesitant to use it on the Volt.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Some 2013s had bad cabin heaters. Go to the climate screen and see if you can get it to blast out heat. The heat icon is in the lower right corner of the screen. Should be 40 degrees or less to test it so I don't know if you can test it well in your part of Cali.

·
Registered
266 Posts
All good ideas above .. especially LOOK at the CAR FAX. If you are torn between any, probably the lowest miles would be best. Most of the voltec is warranted for 100k miles. Last but not least , if one you are looking at is a certified chevy , that helps. I got a 2 yr bumper to bumper warranty with mine.
Good luck and happy ev'ing

·
Registered
13,563 Posts
Like any used car, look at the tires, make sure they have good tread and ar LRR (low rolling resistance). It might be better if the tires are worn to the point you can get new ones so you know exactly where you are at with tire rotations. Check the oil level, radiator levels, etc. tire pressure can be checked fron the dashboard by spinning the dial left of the steering column. If you were really anal, show up with a small screwdriver to drop the pressure in one of the tires. If the dash display shows the wrong tire losing air, get them to reprogram the TPMS. Then fill the tire using the GM supplied pump (make sure you are squirting are and not the tire goo... You might want to download the PDF version of the user manual to a tablet).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! Heading South on the surfliner first thing in the morning. Now I just need to get some sleep...

Wish me luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts