GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else noticed ants around the charging port and then wondering around in the car? This time of year in SD we have a bad ant problem anyway but usually they don't go into the cars. I don't think we have eaten a single thing in the new Volt either. So no food wrappers or crumbs. Just kind of weird.

DD

·
Registered
95 Posts
RAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, funny about the search. Sorry I did not think to do that with such a weird situation. But just after I posted my thread I see further down the page some thing about threads similar to yours...

So, anyway, yes sorry and thanks for the pointers. Also it looks like plenty of advice out there so please disregard this thread.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Anyone else noticed ants around the charging port and then wondering around in the car? This time of year in SD we have a bad ant problem anyway but usually they don't go into the cars. I don't think we have eaten a single thing in the new Volt either. So no food wrappers or crumbs. Just kind of weird.

DD
There are ant species that are known to be particularly attracted to electrical equipment, the Rasberry Crazy ant (Nylanderia fulva) for example, an invasive ant species from South America was first identified in Brownsville, Texas and has spread to 27 counties in southeastern Texas and other Gulf Coasts states. This is probably just a case of local ant colony looking for a suitable place to build a nest. Try spraying the ground around the Volt's tires, park in a different parking spot if you can. You might try wrapping some double sided tape around the charging cord a short distance below the J1772 connector to keep the ants from reaching the charging port.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
yes, funny about the search. Sorry I did not think to do that with such a weird situation. But just after I posted my thread I see further down the page some thing about threads similar to yours...

So, anyway, yes sorry and thanks for the pointers. Also it looks like plenty of advice out there so please disregard this thread.
No problem, I just like to encourage people to find information the easy way. I use this for ants outdoors though I haven't had any on my car yet.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I got tiny spiders. They make webs inside the car. No idea how they get past the cabin filter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We had exactly the same problem. I didn't want to use anything too strong inside the car so we put fresh mint under each front seat. They were all gone the next day. It was interesting as we had just washed the car the day of the infestation. They used the power cord for entry. I should have taken pictures because the port was completely covered and they were everywhere in the ICE area. I ran on ICE for a couple of hours to clear most of them there. Been lucky since then. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Ants use smell to establish a line to the destination. If you don't wish to use any "petroleum" or harmful products around your car and prefer "natural", just spray a strong plant smell such as peppermint or cinnamon oil at the target. Your can will smell better, too!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't mind all the ants swarming all over the car, it's the uncles that annoy me the most.

Sorry for the stupid dad joke, I can't help it. I've noticed that ants seem to like the car more than gas cars we've parked in the same spot, but we haven't had an infestation. The way to deal with ants is to figure out where their trails are, and put a LOT of poisoned bait (e.g., containing fipronil) in a spot where they will find it, and where it won't be washed away by rain, sprinklers, etc. It will take a few days, but if the colony eats a whole syringe of Contact ant bait in two days, it won't survive.

The problem is that it's often not easy to find the trails AND find a secluded spot for the bait.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Had the exact thing happen about a month ago. I vacuumed a lot out of the car and then dusted the ground around the car with sevin powder. It took a couple of days, but it completely eliminated them. I have kids, so there are some food crumbs inside to attract them.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Should the ants be considered Level I ants or Level II?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts