GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have two Volts that are brand new and one of them always seem to have a coolant smell when I walk by it in the garage. Don't smell anthing while driving just when it's parked. My other Volt does not have this issue.

I took it to Chevy and they said to see if it goes away as the final prep guys knocked off a hose on the reservoir. That has been fixed for the last 3 weeks and I still smell it.

Any insight?

Thanks guys!

NOTE: Wife drove 1,000 miles on 8-3/4 gallons of gas. We were proud.

Thanks

John
Houston, TX

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The glycol odor is persistant. However, check your coolant levels personally. If its the HV battery loop it can strand you.

·
8,680 Posts
Make sure you check all three reservoirs (two at the center front, one on the passenger side near the rear of the engine compartment.) If any of them show a level drop, or if you see if puddling under the car, talk to the dealer. If either of the front tanks run dry, it will like mean a tow truck and an expensive repair (though I think the Battery coolant level sensor will shut the car down before it overheats dangerously, assuming the car is newer or retrofitted.)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Antifreeze doesn't evaporate very well, so if there's some residue hanging around, it will tend to last a long time. You could ask your dealer to try and clean the area where it was spilled. It would also be a good idea to check all your coolant levels to make sure it isn't still leaking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts