GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm a very excited owner of a Crystal Red 2012 Volt that I bought back on April 30th. I'm not new to the forums but I did finally register a username. I've been lurking here for months reading every bit of info I can on this car and finally decided I wanted one for myself. No regrets yet!

My dealership/salesman was not nearly as educated on the ins and outs of the Volt as the members here, so I do have a some quick questions.

The car was built on 3/12, according to the placard on the door. Does the car already have the battery reinforcement from the factory, or will I be getting my notice to get that done soon?

Also, my charger has all orange cords. I thought I read that the new new units had black cables. Or am I confusing that with the 240v chargers?

Again, my salesman wasn't sure but I'm sure you guys and gals do! Oh, and only 332 miles so far, 316 of which are electric. I love it.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Welcome. glad you got the best color ;-)

Yes 3/12 should have the battery fix.
All if the short end is orange, it is an older cord; there should be a serial number on it the dealer can check.
And you should insure they also did the air-bag customer satisfaction step.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The shorter 3-prong cord is orange so it looks like I'll need to get in contact with the dealership. Just giving them the serial number on the unit is all they'll need? Do dealers typically stock these?

·
Registered
146 Posts
The serial number is all they need, but they are required to send the original unit back shredded. I am not sure whether they keep them in stock, but I guess it is not a rare item that they cannot get within a short time.

Volt looks good in red! Great choice,

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on your car! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Too bad about the color .... LOL

Seriously, if you have a question about whether your Volt needs the upgrade don't hesitate to contact the Volt advisors.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and you're correct, we are better informed than the average dealer...I'm sure you will love your new Volt as much as we all love ours....happy motoring...any questions, just ask...

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
To be sure all the Customer Service issues have been addressed, request the dealer run a GMVIS report. it shows EVERYTHING about your car since the order was paced.

Good luck and here's to miles of smiles.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hello all, I'm a very excited owner of a Crystal Red 2012 Volt that I bought back on April 30th. I'm not new to the forums but I did finally register a username. I've been lurking here for months reading every bit of info I can on this car and finally decided I wanted one for myself. No regrets yet!

My dealership/salesman was not nearly as educated on the ins and outs of the Volt as the members here, so I do have a some quick questions.

The car was built on 3/12, according to the placard on the door. Does the car already have the battery reinforcement from the factory, or will I be getting my notice to get that done soon?

Also, my charger has all orange cords. I thought I read that the new new units had black cables. Or am I confusing that with the 240v chargers?

Again, my salesman wasn't sure but I'm sure you guys and gals do! Oh, and only 332 miles so far, 316 of which are electric. I love it.
Welcome! Glad to have another Volt in Illinois.

Bruce

·
8,680 Posts
It's CU118827. To keep that in my signature, does that get shortened to C8827? Or include the two leading 1's?
The first leading one is on every Volt to date, not sure why. The second one is not - you are 2012's 18,827th Volt (or Ampera, we believe) VIN, so in the syntax we've been using, C18827. :)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The first leading one is on ever Volt to date, not sure why. The second one is not - you are 2012's 18,827th Volt (or Ampera, we believe) VIN, so in the syntax we've been using, C18827. :)
Thanks Walter. I was wondering about this myself :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I did a little more forum digging and discovered that the charger model number I have is 22865050, which is the latest model according to this thread. My date of manufacturing on the charger also says 2124127. But I'm confused because all of the cords are orange, but others are saying the plug-to-the-wall cord is supposed to be black.

Also, if a Volt Advisor could look at my VIN (C18827) and see if I still need the battery enhancement, that'd be awesome.

·
8,680 Posts
So I did a little more forum digging and discovered that the charger model number I have is 22865050, which is the latest model according to this thread. My date of manufacturing on the charger also says 2124127. But I'm confused because all of the cords are orange, but others are saying the plug-to-the-wall cord is supposed to be black.

Also, if a Volt Advisor could look at my VIN (C18827) and see if I still need the battery enhancement, that'd be awesome.
I'm pretty sure that VIN makes you a february car (as in, built during the February-March production surge,) in which case the enhancement was done on the production line. The easy way to check is to look under the hood. If one of the two coolant reservoirs at the very front of the engine compartment has a metal shield making it hard to remove the lid, or if you got a weird bracket with a hole in it in the glovebox or under the hatch (the bracket was left as a dealer install, and many seem to have missed it,) then it's been upgraded.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The door placard says 3/12 so you're spot on. I popped the hood and didn't see any metal shields on the coolant lids, but I did notice that weird bracket under the hatch. Now I'm curious as to what its purpose is and if there isn't one, why it would be left behind. But since it's here, the upgrade was completed then eh? Very cool. And thanks for the reply!

·
8,680 Posts
That's the bracket - your dealer failed to install it. The purpose of the bracket is to ensure coolant isn't added to the battery reservoir without the dealer being involved, because both high coolant levels and coolant leaks can be bad for the battery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts