GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice/thoughts

So I have two 2013 Volts, both have the same tires. One has caddy wheels (much heavier) which when I put them on a couple years ago caused a difference in range of about 2-3 miles.

The last few months that had changed so that there was a 8-10 mile difference. So I did the recall update. That seemed to get me about 2 miles more. So the problem continues.

I read about possible rear brake dragging. So today I measure the rotor temps on two separate occasions.

1st outing:
Front (both): 102 F
Driver rear: 101 F
Pass rear: 107 F

2nd outing:
Front (both): 100 F
Driver rear: 95 F
Pass rear: 101 F

It does appear the Passenger Rear rotor gets warmer than all the others and when measured against the driver rear temp, it is 5 degrees warmer.

Do you think the Passenger Rear rotor is dragging (brake or bearing)? If so, would it cause a 4 mile difference between my other Volt? FYI, The kWh on both generally run 10.2-10.4.

·
Registered
22 Posts
5 degrees F is nothing. If it was 200F you'd be onto something.

As for your range, one vehicle may need a front end alignment... Bad alignment will increase tire wear and reduce range.

Also probably not super significant, but only the OEM windshield wipers are aero'd correctly for left and right sides so aftermarket blades could increase drag a bit. Same with other aero features of the car like the wheels and front air-dam.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It's not the brakes - 100 F is pretty much ice cold for a brake rotor . . . . pretty much proves you weren't using the brakes at all

Don

·
Registered
43 Posts
On my two Volts, it seems the tire difference alone accounted for about 5 miles difference. You could always jack up the left rear and spin the wheel by hand to see if it's binding. Release the parking brake and be sure to chock up the wheels well first. Is there any difference in the tread depth and psi of each cars tires also?
Looking for advice/thoughts

So I have two 2013 Volts, both have the same tires. One has caddy wheels (much heavier) which when I put them on a couple years ago caused a difference in range of about 2-3 miles.

The last few months that had changed so that there was a 8-10 mile difference. So I did the recall update. That seemed to get me about 2 miles more. So the problem continues.

I read about possible rear brake dragging. So today I measure the rotor temps on two separate occasions.

1st outing:
Front (both): 102 F
Driver rear: 101 F
Pass rear: 107 F

2nd outing:
Front (both): 100 F
Driver rear: 95 F
Pass rear: 101 F

It does appear the Passenger Rear rotor gets warmer than all the others and when measured against the driver rear temp, it is 5 degrees warmer.

Do you think the Passenger Rear rotor is dragging (brake or bearing)? If so, would it cause a 4 mile difference between my other Volt? FYI, The kWh on both generally run 10.2-10.4.
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
5 degrees won't account for any range loss. I had a dragging brake and it was hot enough to burn my fingers (probably over 200F). Even then, I didn't notice a serious reduction in range, maybe a couple miles.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the most important factors affecting range is tire pressure. What are your tire pressures?
Same tires and pressure on both cars. Michelin's at 42 PSI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.