GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading how great OTA updates are and why GM is lagging behind Tesla. Now consider this, GM can't push EV miles to their phone app. It's going on a 4 weeks and GM still hasn't figured out what's wrong.

Just saying.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
This is where the partnership with LG would be crucial. Cell phone manufacturers handle hundreds of millions of OTA updates, that go off relatively trouble free.

Heck, I would even pay for OnStar if it meant I could get OTA updates (assuming they provided them regularly, like once a quarter to half year).

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Well, I think it is official, the basic plan will not show stats. I got the warning a few months ago that my free plan would expire and it did. Then it went to KeyFob only functions. After participating in a few posts and discussions about what GM was doing, I look at the app again and behold the STATS were back.

This was shortlived however. Now I just have KeyFob functions for both cars with "Vehicle Status" reading "Upgrade Now". I think no matter what you call it, once the free service expires you only get the KeyFob functions. Now if it hasn't expired or if you pay for Onstar and you don't have it, that is different.

Perhaps it is a tease, you know, like the free XM every few months. Turn on the STATS and you might want to pay for a basic Onstar service that includes STATS.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I keep reading how great OTA updates are and why GM is lagging behind Tesla. Now consider this, GM can't push EV miles to their phone app. It's going on a 4 weeks and GM still hasn't figured out what's wrong.

Just saying.
FYI, OnStar can and does do OTA updates.
Having said that, I'm not sure they have ever fixed anything with an OTA update.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, I think it is official, the basic plan will not show stats. I got the warning a few months ago that my free plan would expire and it did. Then it went to KeyFob only functions. After participating in a few posts and discussions about what GM was doing, I look at the app again and behold the STATS were back.

Now if it hasn't expired or if you pay for Onstar and you don't have it, that is different.

Perhaps it is a tease, you know, like the free XM every few months. Turn on the STATS and you might want to pay for a basic Onstar service that includes STATS.
While I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they did, it is very frustrating that I've yet to get any stats (only keyfob) since I started my Guidance Trial almost 2 months ago. If they do end up going down this path, I'm certainly going to try and argue my way into another Trial so I can actually know what it's like to see my charge level, EV miles, etc.

Heck, at this point I'll settle for just getting info sent to VoltStats for the first time.. :(

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
While I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they did, it is very frustrating that I've yet to get any stats (only keyfob) since I started my Guidance Trial almost 2 months ago. If they do end up going down this path, I'm certainly going to try and argue my way into another Trial so I can actually know what it's like to see my charge level, EV miles, etc.

Heck, at this point I'll settle for just getting info sent to VoltStats for the first time.. :(
Voltstats is getting nothing, my last update was 10/19. Mychevrolet.com is getting stats so Onstar is collecting them but for some reason Voltstats isn't getting anything. It's not clear if they deliberately cut off Voltstats or if something is just broken. The Voltstats facebook page hasn't had any new news since the end of Oct.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Voltstats is getting nothing, my last update was 10/19. Mychevrolet.com is getting stats so Onstar is collecting them but for some reason Voltstats isn't getting anything. It's not clear if they deliberately cut off Voltstats or if something is just broken. The Voltstats facebook page hasn't had any new news since the end of Oct.
And therein lies the problem, you say your MyChevrolet app is getting EV data, myself and most other Gen II Volt owner are not getting that data. Not sure I would trust OTA if they can't get this right. All most of us see are two dashes ( - - ) where the EV miles and Percentage data should be.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
OTA updates and an app aren't the same thing. If the former messes up you're in big trouble. If the latter messes up it's an annoyance. This seems to be an annoyance. Of course I may be biased since I never use OnStar for checking on miles or SOC. By the time the car connects I could walk to the car, check, and be back.

You can say GM is behind, but my guess is that GM is reluctant to do OTAs because it has so many models and model years. When you update, the complexity goes up exponentially as models and model years are added. Tesla basically has three models. GM probably has three hundred and three. It's easier to be nimble with a limited portfolio.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Can anyone here identify ANY auto maker other than Tesla that is doing OTA's yet? Looking at the SAE website, it appears that OTA is a huge item in-development by most of the major players, but that there are reliability issues that has held them back from going "retail" to-date. Tesla HAD to press ahead with OTA, as their business model did not have a large "dealer service" network to handle software re-flashing at the shop. They turned a problem into an advantage, at some risk.

VW, when announcing they'd forego PHEVs and go straight to BEV's, also announced that they will be going to OTA in the near future. But they are the first that I've heard of even making a specific commitment.

·
2,356 Posts
Can anyone here identify ANY auto maker other than Tesla that is doing OTA's yet?
Not to the extent Tesla is, no. No powertrain updates. Of course many of them do infotainment updates over wifi, and GM has done at least one BCM update that I can find documentation for. GM updates the OnStar module OTA.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Updating a single independent processor is one thing - like the Onstar module or an iPhone. Most vehicles have 20 or more processors, inter-connected on various comm busses, with architectures that may require passing update data through multiple processors to get to the destination specialty controller. It is enormously complex.

Here's a link to SAE's article on OTA update technology from the automotive industry perspective.

http://articles.sae.org/14946/

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
What are these important OTA updates that you feel you are missing out on and what functionality improvements do you expect to see?
Personally, MyLink in gen1 Volts definitely has bugs (especially with bluetooth) and never fulfilled its initial promise... they said we'd be able to add more apps to it later and that never happened. It's not a huge deal, I can just stream Spotify from my phone, I don't have to have a Spotify app on MyLink, but that's how MyLink was supposed to work. Feels like I bought something with a promise they reneged on and they don't care.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
What are these important OTA updates that you feel you are missing out on and what functionality improvements do you expect to see?
I was just at the dealer yesterday for a recall, it was a firmware update that took 40 minutes. There are three more recalls that they didn't take care of because they take many hours, I'm going to drop the car off overnight in a couple of weeks to have them done. These are a huge waste of time for the customer and a huge expense for GM. OTA updates would eliminate the time and expense.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just at the dealer yesterday for a recall, it was a firmware update that took 40 minutes. There are three more recalls that they didn't take care of because they take many hours, I'm going to drop the car off overnight in a couple of weeks to have them done. These are a huge waste of time for the customer and a huge expense for GM. OTA updates would eliminate the time and expense.
So if it takes "hours" at the dealer most likely with a direct connection to the car and far faster transfer rate, what would happen if the OTA update started and wasn't finished when you need the vehicle. If GM can't get a simple phone app to work - No thanks.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
So if it takes "hours" at the dealer most likely with a direct connection to the car and far faster transfer rate, what would happen if the OTA update started and wasn't finished when you need the vehicle. If GM can't get a simple phone app to work - No thanks.
OTA updates don't install on the fly. Even if it took 42 days of pause and resume to download, it wouldn't install until the download was complete and it was verified to be a true copy of the update file.
Most of that 40 minutes would be install time, not download time. If the data is stored in typical memory, they are often very slow to write to. But the flip side is reliability.

In a vehicle like the volt, which can be "on", even if not on from the driver's perspective, this doesn't really matter. Even an empty volt has at least 40 mins worth of battery charge available to ensure a successful self-executed flash. Likely while you sleep.
In a traditional ICE, this is probably not something they'd do unless it had the engine running the entire time.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
They told me that the updates are done over OBD2 which is an antique interface. Does anyone know if this is true? USB would be orders of magnitude faster.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Most of that 40 minutes would be install time, not download time. If the data is stored in typical memory, they are often very slow to write to. But the flip side is reliability.

....Even an empty volt has at least 40 mins worth of battery charge available to ensure a successful self-executed flash. Likely while you sleep.....
And so you 'Schedule' this down time while you sleep, and the car is locked down and off while this update is happening, hopefully while plugged in. So you schedule NO CAR USE while this update is in process, correct?

This all sounds possible. And nothing could possibly go wrong, correct?

I do wonder how T pulls this off, routinely.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
And so you 'Schedule' this down time while you sleep, and the car is locked down and off while this update is happening, hopefully while plugged in. So you schedule NO CAR USE while this update is in process, correct?

This all sounds possible. And nothing could possibly go wrong, correct?

I do wonder how T pulls this off, routinely.
Assuming you use modern highspeed interfaces the actual update should only take a few seconds after the download has completed. A proper user interface would ask you if you want to apply the update so that it doesn't happen without you knowing about it or happen at an inconvenient location, in fact it should probably use GPS so that it would only ask you to do the update if your are at home.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
They told me that the updates are done over OBD2 which is an antique interface. Does anyone know if this is true? USB would be orders of magnitude faster.
They're not. There's an OBDII command set to invoke the update, but the update source is a thumbdrive that they download the module code to from a service website.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts