GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Volt with 51,000 miles. Couple days ago i started hearing the dredded tablesaw/skillsaw noise during regen.

is replacing this bearing a 100% voltec warranty job? so if i go to a chevy dealer and they say its not covered under voltec warranty they are wrong? and therefore i should go to another dealer?

I am So Cal. 909/Inland Empire area. Any so cal chevy dealers I should specifically go to?

·
Registered
23 Posts
This just happenend to me a few days ago-- I posted in the "Bearing failure FAQ".

Today I received some relatively good news from the dealer-- it will be covered under warranty and they expect to receive the part tomorrow and have the repair completed that same day, or Friday at the latest. I was somewhat concerned as I am just outside of the 5 year bumper-to-bumper, so would only be covered by the Voltec specific warranty.

I'm not sure why the FAQ says it may not be covered by the Voletec warranty. I found this online describing what is covered:

"Electric Hybrid/Drive Unit
Electric drive unit assembly electric motors, and all internal components, including the auxiliary fluid pump, auxiliary pump controller, electric motor, and 3-phase cables."

a bearing within the electric drive assembly would seem to clearly be an "internal component" so must be covered.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Paradise Chevrolet is in the Inland Empire but not area code 909. Great service department, and John Hernandez is a great service adviser. I go there despite the fact it's a bit of a drive.

I'd expect it to be covered but we have seen dealers going different ways on the same repair. IMO some seeming prefer not doing warranty work.

FYI the sound is very distinctive. If it sounds like a table saw when you slow down with regen then you know. There is no mistaking the problem. FWIW the failure rate is very low.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2012 with 37K miles over the holidays. The dealer had the part in stock but because of the holiday it took a few days to get it done. Now they are trying to figure out whether the rental is covered under the Voltec warranty or only the B-to-B warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got my repaired Volt back today. I must say I am extremely pleased with my dealer-- I took the car in Tuesday evening, no appointment, the noise having just started on my way home from work. Got the car back today, Thursday afternoon, and with a full battery charge no less (near empty when I dropped it off). No surprises, all work covered by warranty. So, sorry I had to be one of the few that had this problem, but my compliments to GM and Wentworth Chevrolet for great service.

The car seems to be performing well, seems even quieter than before, but that's probably just my imagination or result of having driven ICE cars the last 2 days.

·
4,871 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2012 with 37K miles over the holidays. The dealer had the part in stock but because of the holiday it took a few days to get it done. Now they are trying to figure out whether the rental is covered under the Voltec warranty or only the B-to-B warranty.
Interesting, my wife's just failed too. Her mileage? Also 37K.

G

·
The bearing just went out on my 2013 volt with 96,000 miles. Was just coming off the freeway and slowing to stop when I hear the circular saw sound. Almost out of warranty. Dealer wanted to charge me $1100 for the repair until I convinced him it was still under warranty. Given the cost to repair this car, I bought an extended warranty for peace of mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts