GM Volt Forum banner

Another LED Headlight Question

19064 Views 87 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  IM0001
Looking to upgrade my headlights. After reading many posts ..... I'm more confused than ever. Lots of links to products no longer available etc....

I'm never sure which ones fit and which ones do not. I bought a pair that fit my son's Cobalt(?) but they didn't fit my Volt. I have a '12.

Anyway, would one of these work? Which one? H7?, H11? I'm kinna sick of looking. around.

Any help is always appreciated. Thanks.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-...lgo_pvid=b131892f-8612-4d19-b149-736a63697e41
41 - 60 of 88 Posts
You say. Again, I'm not mocking you or being sarcastic, but I don't take anyone's word in a forum for what a fact is.
Well... I guess it's time to get access to an Integrating Sphere again.
Well... I guess it's time to get access to a collimating sphere again.
Not interested in your kinky sexual activities. :D

Oh, did you mean a Schmidt-sphere imaging collimator?

I read someone saying they proved something.
You say. Again, I'm not mocking you or being sarcastic, but I don't take anyone's word in a forum for what a fact is.
Your loss on information. Look at them lit up outside of a housing if you don’t believe me. It’s just how LEDs output light. It’s also just common sense when you look at them side by side.
Your loss on information. Look at them lit up outside of a housing if you don’t believe me. It’s just how LEDs output light. It’s also just common sense when you look at them side by side.
Funny you should mention side-by-side because that's exactly what I did with them installed in the car. Not that photos tell the whole story, but......

Just a few with the 2500 lumen LEDs against the best halogens I have. Sorry I don't have anything with the 4000 lumen kits, but I only just ordered them.
See less See more
Funny you should mention side-by-side because that's exactly what I did with them installed in the car. Not that photos tell the whole story, but......

Just a few with the 2500 lumen LEDs against the best halogens I have. Sorry I don't have anything with the 4000 lumen kits, but I only just ordered them.
Lights are bright when you stare right at them? No ****? Never knew that... Besides, look at all the glare. Your pictures prove my point. The light isn’t focused correctly. Best halogens?? It says OEM in the pictures...
Lights are bright when you stare right at them? No ****? Never knew that... Besides, look at all the glare. Your pictures prove my point. The light isn’t focused correctly. Best halogens?? It says OEM in the pictures...
sound like a broken record.
What the images suggest (note I don't say "prove") is that in front of the car, where you might expect, that the LED is putting out a bit more light into the camera than the best halogens I have.

May I ask you one more time to produce your evidence where as you said, you proved on Facebook that halogens work better? I'm very interested to know the particulars of this proof.

It was only a few years ago that LED couldn't come close to the OEMs. Later, as I acquired my first set that appeared to not be the case though LED was quite a bit more expensive. I think LEDs have advanced to the point where they can be even brighter and competitive on price too. I would be concerned about blinding oncoming drivers if not for the shutter mechanism in the Volt headlight assemblies.

The one thing they suck at is melting driving wet snow off of the headlight assemblies. They don't get hot enough.
See less See more
What the images suggest (note I don't say "prove") is that in front of the car, where you might expect, that the LED is putting out a bit more light into the camera than the best halogens I have.

May I ask you one more time to produce your evidence where as you said, you proved on Facebook that halogens work better? I'm very interested to know the particulars of this proof.

It was only a few years ago that LED couldn't come close to the OEMs. Later, as I acquired my first set that appeared to not be the case though LED was quite a bit more expensive. I think LEDs have advanced to the point where they can be even brighter and competitive on price too. I would be concerned about blinding oncoming drivers if not for the shutter mechanism in the Volt headlight assemblies.

The one thing they suck at is melting driving wet snow off of the headlight assemblies. They don't get hot enough.
I’d have to go back and find it all.

The shutter assemblies work just like any other projector. They don’t magically stop glare inside a volt headlight. They focus the light out of the lens and provide a cutoff line. But they don’t stop glare all by themselves. Your pictures show the glare that halogens don’t have... If your car came in for a inspection, I would fail it.
yup,,broken record from the so called headlight expert,LOL
The shutter assemblies work just like any other projector. They don’t magically stop glare inside a volt headlight. They focus the light out of the lens and provide a cutoff line. But they don’t stop glare all by themselves.
I can see the effect the shutters have. The cutoff line is where it is and works fine. I have yet to be flashed by an oncoming driver.

It's interesting how you say all these things as if I haven't experienced driving with my LED headlights.

Your pictures show the glare that halogens don’t have... If your car came in for a inspection, I would fail it.
You didn't tell us you were an inspector. Then again, I don't recall having my car inspected for headlights... like..... ever.
I can see the effect the shutters have. The cutoff line is where it is and works fine. I have yet to be flashed by an oncoming driver.

It's interesting how you say all these things as if I haven't experienced driving with my LED headlights.

You didn't tell us you were an inspector. Then again, I don't recall having my car inspected for headlights... like..... ever.
Well, come to NY and you’ll grow to hate princess Andy just like everyone else.
Well, come to NY and you’ll grow to hate princess Andy just like everyone else.
Illinois is bad enough with Prince Madigan, thank you.
Illinois is bad enough with Prince Madigan, thank you.
Window tint became part of state inspection 1/1/17 but his windows painted black.
I ordered these 9012s for $69 - http://www.xenondepot.com/9012-Xtreme-LED-kit-p/xt-led-9012.htm

Great quality and puts a ton more light out on low beam. High beam is only slightly better, but the low beam spreads the light to the sides and fills in the details so much more than stock. So impressed by the quality that I ordered a set for my wife's Volt and my motorcycle (H4).

No affiliation with the above. Just a happy customer. Fast shipping too.
Following your link, those bulbs were $169 not $69, unless you got a great deal. They are now discontinued as well.

The site recommends these: http://www.xenondepot.com/9012-Xtreme-LED-kit-pro-p/xt-led-9012-pro.htm

For $129.
Following your link, those bulbs were $169 not $69, unless you got a great deal. They are now discontinued as well.

The site recommends these: http://www.xenondepot.com/9012-Xtreme-LED-kit-pro-p/xt-led-9012-pro.htm

For $129.
Unless you're leaving the dust caps off I'd skip those. The heat sinks won't be terribly effective compared to the braided loops on the previous version. At least you could spread the braids out 360 degrees.

There are plenty of other choices today. It's a bit overwhelming just how many.

As for discontinued models, that's the nature of the beast right now. The most recent set I bought from that site were discontinued by the time I had gotten them installed.

For $129.
You don’t want either of these anyway.
You don’t want either of these anyway.
here we go again.

For $129.
I have an extra set of leds that I put in my volt,,they work really really good.I'll let them go for 50,shipping included.mine are the fanless style w/ the braided loop heat sink.
Truth still burns I see.
What I see is a guy who completely fails to understand the difference between posting "I have <fill in name of light> that I think is a better solution because <facts and evidence here>" vs "That stuff is crap and you people are idiots", which is how you generally come across to others in this forum.
41 - 60 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.