GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No sooner did I get a replacement for my failed passenger side Morimoto 2Stroke LED, than I received the set of "GEEMAI V10 LED Headlight Bulbs, Kit-9012" which had been offered to me for review.

The poorly translated Chinese was nearly incomprehensible but made the typical absolutely outrageous claims like

• "360 degrees No Dead Light"
  • "14000LM"
  • "6500K White Light"
  • "50000 Hour Service Life"
The emitter assembly is interesting as it has four sets of spaced LEDs vs the usual two sets. They are not spaced evenly around, more like two spaced pairs on each side.

The 9012 collar has a tiny set screw so the lights can be "clocked" around until they are adjusted optimally.

The heat sinks seem fairly solid and well constructed and the fans are fairly quiet on my set though I couldn't see them well enough to make any judgment about durability.

The connection cables are decent, though nowhere near the quality level of the Morimoto units.

The overall size of the units are just a bit shorter than the Morimoto ones, and the entire assembly (Emitters/heatsinks, ballasts, cables) tucks easily into a Gen 1 light housing.

Testing will commence over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I am sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation! No, seriously, I'm really interested in how these compare to the Morimotos.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SOMMS has successfully made me paranoid about these lights, but due to my own professional ethics I'm going to leave them in for at least one night and do a write-up/review since that is what I agreed to do.

This morning was very dark and gloomy so the auto-systems ran the headlights.

The first thing I noticed was LOADS of EF interference.
With the lights on I had zero AM reception and severely degraded FM reception. Lights off, it all cleared right up.
To be fair, I had noticed a bit of AM interference with the Morimoto units but still got reception and had no FM interference at all.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Please don't feel any obligation to take unnecessary driving risks. Besides, I think we already have enough information to make a decision on this particular product.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah agreed. I'm pulling these and putting the Morimotos back in at lunch (assuming it isn't pouring rain LOL)

·
Registered
174 Posts
The picture is to small to see any damage but when do you put a fuse in a headlight circuit?
That's a sure way to be in the dark at 80 miles per hour and then you hear the crunch.
Head lights should be protected with a circuit breaker that toggles off and on repeatedly giving you a chance to get stopped if there is a short circuit.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

With the lights on I had zero AM reception and severely degraded FM reception. Lights off, it all cleared right up.
To be fair, I had noticed a bit of AM interference with the Morimoto units but still got reception and had no FM interference at all.
After reading this I decided to check out mine because I very rarely listen to AM radio. I am running these XtremeVision LED headlights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076QJTNQY

They don't list 9012 now but they did when I ordered them in June. They were only $29.99 so I figured I'd try them. I'm happy to report there is NO EMI on AM or FM. I even tuned in to WWL, a clear channel station in New Orleans, and it was fine. Those GEEMAI's must be very poorly made.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered and installed these months ago. I will admit the first batch I had both died after about 6 months (One had 2 of the 4 LED sides fail, but still worked for the most part, the other one had the back metal cage around the fan which is just sort of pressed locked to the main housing fall off, causing the fan to stop, and killed nearly all the LED's on it in short order lol. Was working fine before that.

They did send me a free replacement (though I paid like $6 in shipping) and the newest ones seem a little better/more sturdy made, and both work perfectly once again.

No other issues with these lights but for the price I can admit that they may not be the best made and I expected that going into getting them. If these fail again though I may just jump back over to HID's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Head lights should be protected with a circuit breaker that toggles off and on repeatedly giving you a chance to get stopped if there is a short circuit.
I'm not seeing a circuit breaker on the light circuit. Just 2 fuses. F22UA and F41UA (in the fuse block under the hood).

I've never seen a headlight circuit with anything other than fuses. Not saying the volt isn't but a breaker that toggles on and off. Never heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
After two sets of these LEDs burning out. I have officially installed the 2Strokes V2.0.

The first set of these were replaced by the distributor and within a few months of installing them, I started loosing the led elements one at a time..................again

I should have listed to Dutch from the beginning, however, the upgraded version 2.0 was released so I have those now.

I should be able to evaluate the 2.0’s this week when I drive home from work at 0330 on a dark twisty, deer/bear/fox/skunk infested roadway.

Cheers

First set failures in January

This past week

After this second set began failing, I decided to order the 2Stroke V2.0’s and get them in the car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
SOMMS has successfully made me paranoid about these lights, but due to my own professional ethics I'm going to leave them in for at least one night and do a write-up/review since that is what I agreed to do.

This totally explains the crap reception. I thought is was attributed to the antenna.

I’ll be curious as to the reception the next time I drive the car on my way home in the canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I'm not seeing a circuit breaker on the light circuit. Just 2 fuses. F22UA and F41UA (in the fuse block under the hood). ...
This how modern cars are set up for safety reasons. Separate fuses for left and right headlights.

Which brings into question how one smoked 'ballast' took out both sides and the driver had "No Headlights". :confused:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
After reading this I decided to check out mine because I very rarely listen to AM radio. I am running these XtremeVision LED headlights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076QJTNQY

They don't list 9012 now but they did when I ordered them in June. They were only $29.99 so I figured I'd try them. I'm happy to report there is NO EMI on AM or FM. I even tuned in to WWL, a clear channel station in New Orleans, and it was fine. Those GEEMAI's must be very poorly made.
I hope I don't jinks myself by writing this, but, I've been driving with the XtremeVision LEDs also and DO have SLIGHT EMI with them on...nothing gross, but, when I drive into my garage I can clear up the FM reception by turning off the lights. There is a certain section of back road that I drive where the FM signal is weak and, again, I can clear up the reception slightly by turning off the headlights. I should say that the EMI experience is with the one station that I always listen to and that that station is marginal in my area to begin with.

Perhaps I am just being dumb, but, I can't complain about the EMI. It's there when the FM signal is weak. It's subtle. If I were to want to buy them again, I would do so, weighing that factor alone. BUT, I wanted higher intensity and THAT I didn't experience with the XtremeVision LEDs. I did get higher correlated color temperature which DID make a big difference for me at night. I've been driving with them since June, 2018 without a problem.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
This totally explains the crap reception. I thought is was attributed to the antenna.

I’ll be curious as to the reception the next time I drive the car on my way home in the canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the same problem with the LED headlights I installed in my Volt. I just ordered some ferrite cores and am going to give them a shot and see if they help.
I use an antenna for TV at home, and have 1 fixture with LED bulbs in it that causes havoc with a couple TV channels too. Hoping the ferrite cores are as good as people claim.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I have the same problem with the LED headlights I installed in my Volt. I just ordered some ferrite cores and am going to give them a shot and see if they help.
I use an antenna for TV at home, and have 1 fixture with LED bulbs in it that causes havoc with a couple TV channels too. Hoping the ferrite cores are as good as people claim.
I'm now wondering if wrapping some aluminum foil around the wires might be another way to reduce the EMI. I may give that a shot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts