GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to artsci's efforts at finding a Volt compatible hitch maker, I took his implied advice and went with the Torklift setup. The unit is solidly built, and weighs in at approximately 35 pounds. I went with the small, 1.5 inch receiver as all it will carry is bicycles and snowboards. I had access to a four post vehicle lift, so my DIY installation went smoothly and it took us about two hours. While the instructions were detailed, and they even included a bolt fishing wire, I believe a detailed youtube video would have been more helpful than an English description. Anywhoo, we got it done without needing to visit the Home Depot or Auto-zone. :)

I believe a side-effect is that the exhaust pipe chamber (muffler?) resides slightly closer to the ground. Maybe a half or quarter inch lower, and that's not a scientific observation. Also, you *will* have to cut a hole in the underside plastic cover to make room for the receiver to poke through. The resulting hole is not visible unless you crawl under the vehicle.

I've not had any trouble with the receiver scraping on the ground except once, when I was backing into a parking spot and scraped it on the curb.

Thanks again to artsci.

Pictures follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
That system looks great, Matt. So far I've just been sticking the bikes in the back, but I always get nervous about scratching the edges around the hatch. I'm going to have to think hard about this.

BTW, do you have any photos of what the hitch looks like with the rack removed?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks mattvolt. I appreciate the thanks but It couldn't have happened without the help of our fellow Volt owners in the Seattle area who were willing to allow TorkLift to use their cars for measurements, test fittings, etc.

Glad it worked for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, can you tow a small trailer with that hitch?
I have not tried this. My sole intention is for a bicycle or ski/snowboard rack.

But, if it helps to answer the question, it appears GM would say "no."

My 2012 owner's manual, page 9-58, "Towing" says:

"The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer or another vehicle."

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Added to FAQ! Thanks mattvolt for the writeup and the photos.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Looks good Matt, also nice pictures to show the finished product. Tough choice, this style or the one behind the plate. But both of them look good. Just need to weigh the pro and cons of each. Thanks for the documentation and pics and thanks to artsci for the plate version documentation too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question

I noticed from the Torklift installation video of the they remove a plastic plate on the right side of the undercarriage to install the hitch and it didn't seem like they reinstalled it. Is that what happened with your install? Did you notice a change in MPG without it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts