GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2012 Volt back from the dealer. Before the pack failed I had multiple warning signs, such as PPR messages upon leaving work, the ICE running with plenty of battery charge, and low range even when driving gently.

The car finally threw codes for the HV battery temp sensors and refused to charge, running on the ICE until Propulsion Power Reduced was permanent and wouldn’t go away.

I suspect I had one bad cell taking the battery down, but the dealer only does full battery replacements. So I went with a GM Remanufactured battery for about $7,500 with the 3 year/100k warranty and installation+taxes was another 2 grand.

Car is finally back and running, and I am a happy camper!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh, I feel better now. My bill is ONLY $5,500. Of course, I'm only getting section 3 of the battery and a two-year warranty. A week to get the part and then installation. I'll post again next week if I get the car. Hopefully the range will be back in the high 30's - low-40's.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven’t had the time to drive it much post service however I’ll report back once I have some miles.

I know it’s a bitter pill to swallow, but my search for a $9,500 Volt in better condition (that came up within 250 miles) didn’t find many good cars. And when I bought this one 6 months ago, it was the best used Volt I could find in my price range.

So the decision was, find another Volt for the same amount and potentially need to replace the battery in it, or fix this one. I am a firm believer that any car, no matter the value, if in good condition is worth fixing. Unless that money for a new battery/engine/transmission/etc. can buy a better whole new car. So that $5,500 seems like money well spent IMO.

And sometimes the devil you know is better than the shiny used one that will come with even more problems.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Haven’t had the time to drive it much post service however I’ll report back once I have some miles.

I know it’s a bitter pill to swallow, but my search for a $9,500 Volt in better condition (that came up within 250 miles) didn’t find many good cars. And when I bought this one 6 months ago, it was the best used Volt I could find in my price range.

So the decision was, find another Volt for the same amount and potentially need to replace the battery in it, or fix this one. I am a firm believer that any car, no matter the value, if in good condition is worth fixing. Unless that money for a new battery/engine/transmission/etc. can buy a better whole new car. So that $5,500 seems like money well spent IMO.

And sometimes the devil you know is better than the shiny used one that will come with even more problems.
You had to put $9500 into a car you just bought six months ago, and you're not even grumpy about it? I'm so impressed!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is what it is. I need a working car, this one was used, and it came with no guarantees. Even the used car dealer’s aftermarket warranty was a joke, so I passed on purchasing it at the time. I’m glad I didn’t get that warranty, as the list of exclusions was longer than what was covered and this would probably fall under the “wear and tear” or “consumable items” clause. Just glad to have the car back, finally!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
It is what it is. I need a working car, this one was used, and it came with no guarantees. Even the used car dealer’s aftermarket warranty was a joke, so I passed on purchasing it at the time. I’m glad I didn’t get that warranty, as the list of exclusions was longer than what was covered and this would probably fall under the “wear and tear” or “consumable items” clause. Just glad to have the car back, finally!
Glad to hear you're back on the road! I hope they installed a 2015 battery with the new chemistry. That should get you more miles of EV range and hopefully last a long time.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m not sure which one they installed. Is there a way to tell from the receipt?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I’m not sure which one they installed. Is there a way to tell from the receipt?
The part number quoted in the invoice for the battery (24289879) is indeed the GM part for a Volt HV battery. I'm a bit surprised that it's a remanufactured unit. The ones I can see in different websites are labelled as new and they go for roughly the same price that you got charged.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I’ve been living in paradise for four days (that’s how long I was able to drive the Volt) and now the battery cooling system has now sprung a leak. The dealer doesn’t think it’s something they did, but the left front tank (not the engine coolant tank) is now leaking about 1/3rd of its coolant every 40-50 miles. I had to fill it up three times on the way back from work today. Has anyone seen this happen after a HV battery replacement?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Well, I’ve been living in paradise for four days (that’s how long I was able to drive the Volt) and now the battery cooling system has now sprung a leak. The dealer doesn’t think it’s something they did, but the left front tank (not the engine coolant tank) is now leaking about 1/3rd of its coolant every 40-50 miles. I had to fill it up three times on the way back from work today. Has anyone seen this happen after a HV battery replacement?

Of course your dealer wouldn't admit to it but if you never had this issue prior and now leaking battery coolant following your li-ion replacement...1+1=2

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, it’s the one that says “Battery Cooling” in the photo. It’s only ever had Dex-Cool with the special GM formula in it, and never premixed “multi-vehicle” coolant so I don’t think it’s user error. Prior to the battery replacement there were no leaks.

The used car dealer (and an independent mechanic) verified all coolant levels and tested all 3 tanks with a test strip just 6 months ago, and said the previous owner must’ve changed the coolant as it tested “like new”.

I don’t have all the service records but out of the ones I have the previous owner always kept up on the maintenance, and over-did some things (such as regular wheel alignments, balancing, and 15/30/45/60k service.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealer still has not called back, hoping this is not too serious. For someone who just replaced the entire HV battery pack and got a coolant leak I would think it is related, as I didn’t have a single leak from any cooling system in the entire car prior to the HV battery service.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Of course your dealer wouldn't admit to it but if you never had this issue prior and now leaking battery coolant following your li-ion replacement...1+1=2
The dealer ended up replacing the “new” fittings on the battery that were supposedly “bad” from the factory. Hoping that’s it and I can get back on the road this weekend!

·
Registered
150 Posts
If air in the system is not fully removed with Vac-fill procedure, the level may drop slightly as the trapped air pockets are gradually purged (burped) from the system. Top up with 50/50 Dex-cool + de-ionized water only (its non-conductive) or GM premix to the top of the black label on the side of the tank. If level does not stabilize and continues to drop after a week or two, have system pressure tested to find source of possible leak. Good for you for giving a Volt a second life. Many miles to you clublife!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I got a good 3-4 weeks out of the battery replacement still topping up the coolant after the fitting repair (odd that it never had this issue before the HV battery swap) and now the car has Service High Voltage Charging System on the dash with the following codes:

P1E00
P1FFE
P1FFF
P1E00 (permanent)
P1FFE (permanent)
P1FFF (permanent)

I checked all of the coolant levels, just topped the battery off a week ago (it was going down in level some) with the special Dex-Cool and now it’s sitting at the dealer. I really hope it’s not going to be another big repair.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hoping its something simple. Still topping off after 4 weeks seems indicative of a leak. Fingers crossed 4U...

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brought car back to the dealer twice for this issue, the coolant went down so fast I was getting the Service High Voltage Charging message even though I was adding it regularly. It never ran dry, but enough to trip the sensor. I believe the issue was due to air pockets in the system, but they also replaced some fittings so I’m not sure. My range is now 41.1 miles and consistent, so the new battery certainly is doing good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts