GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be on my third charger once the dealer gets it in stock. This one lasted about two months. Was wondering if this is an problem across the board, the 120V charger not being able to hold to daily charging of the Volt. Talking to the dealer techs it seems like they get a couple every week with bad chargers.

If that is the case is GM planning on recalling these chargers or engineering a better one ?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
used my daily since I bought the Volt AUg 2011. There was a replacement during the battery tunnel upgrade in Aug 2012 and been using that one since then. never a problem.

Maybe its the power source at home or work?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I haven't had any issues with mine...use it at home every night and used it at work for the 1st 6 months before the L2 was installed. The original L1 got at little warm is all, so the replacement needed to be a little heavier gauge.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've been using mine for almost a year twice a day. Indoors at night and outside during the day. Still working perfect. I hang it on a hook next to the outlet so no stress on the plug. Still looks new.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What failed on your cordsets?

Will be on my third charger once the dealer gets it in stock. This one lasted about two months. Was wondering if this is an problem across the board, the 120V charger not being able to hold to daily charging of the Volt. Talking to the dealer techs it seems like they get a couple every week with bad chargers.

If that is the case is GM planning on recalling these chargers or engineering a better one ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My original EVSE is going on 19 months now of daily use, never had a problem with it.

The power sources I use on the other hand, can be very problematic, and I suspect that's going to be your issue as well, unless you just happen to have the fabulously terrible luck to have had two defective units.

Can you elaborate on what was done to check the GFI outlet? Just because it's 'working', doesn't necessarily mean it's up to the job of charging the Volt.

Have you tried setting the EVSE to the 8 amp (Lower power draw) setting?

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
No issues with mine. Plugging into a GFCI means nothing. In fact, depending on the GFCI, the charge cord can trip it. There are two GFCI types, one with a lower "trip" threshold than the other. If yours is tripping, that could be the cause.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Creatiwit, which model year Volt do you have?
2013 Volt.

To answer the other questions:

what failed on the cordset: don't really know, as soon as you plug it in to charge, about 10 mins in the light on the cordset will turn red and the Volt will report charge interrupted.

what was checked on the outlet: a connectivity test, amps test. Anything specific I need to have it checked for ?

does the outlet trip: has happened maybe once.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
2013 Volt.

To answer the other questions:

what failed on the cordset: don't really know, as soon as you plug it in to charge, about 10 mins in the light on the cordset will turn red and the Volt will report charge interrupted.

what was checked on the outlet: a connectivity test, amps test. Anything specific I need to have it checked for ?

does the outlet trip: has happened maybe once.
Has the dealership tested your cords at their location?

·
Registered
867 Posts
If you can, borrow a heavy gauge extension cord and try a different outlet. Make sure to monitor the plug and determine if it is getting warm.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The cord that came with my 2011 worked just fine until it was swapped out with the newer design during the battery upgrade, and that newer one hasn't had a problem either. Both were on 25' or longer extension cords and ran for about 18mo until I got my L2 charger installed. I did melt one extension cord's plastic plug and receptacle though!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just received my third cord today myself. The car is a 2012 and the original cord melted where the plug end is located. It was replaced with the "customer satisfaction" cord that had a much larger plug end and never had another issue until a couple days ago when the pistol grip button broke inside and would not allow the cord to disconnect from the car. When this happened, the car would not come out of park due to the cord being connected. We called the dealer and he told us to try to manipulate it out without damaging it any further. My wife ended up breaking the end off where it plugs into the car and we noticed a rattle of obvious broken internal pieces inside the handle. I don't think the port on the car is damaged, but they are checking it out for further for verification. Very poor and cheap looking design IMHO. The last replacement orange cord twisted and looked and felt like junk. This newest cord appears a bit better made, but time will tell.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have used my OEM supplied EVSE since day one, Febuary 11, 2013, and never had an issue with it, been working fine and i plug into different outlets when I get a chance to charge the Volt. Knock on wood!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealer tested it, went dead in 10 mins. They gave me a new one, so thats good. Changed up the setup at home as well, GFCI now goes straight to a single 20 amp breaker, not shared with anything else. Hopefully the combination of the two should prevent any future mishaps. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I'm overly gently with the OEM EVSE and make sure I leave plenty of slack in the cord. Maybe having it attached hanging from the ceiling of the garage (where it is plugged into a hospital-grade outlet) helps!?

·
Registered
3 Posts
After 2.5 years

WP_20140327_001.jpg WP_20140327_002.jpg WP_20140327_006.jpg I have always used the supplied charger in my garage, is still the original (not exchanged) and has been used probably every other day (27,000 miles - 2012). I am on an hourly billing plan the Comed in IL has piloted for about 3 years so I pay the market clearing price to charge. Since the beginning of the year, we have been experiencing price spikes during my charging hours (some as high as $1.22/kilowatt hour. So as part of a home automation upgrade I was going to install a remotely/computer controlled switch on my charger. When price gets above about 33 cents (break even point) I would kill the charger until it returns below that point.

When I went to unplug the charger from a kill-o-watt meter that was plugged into, I could not unplug. Didn't want to unplug the meter or all the accumulated usage data would be lost. But in the end, I had to and when I saw the back of the meter, quite melted, I knew why I couldn't unplug it, they were fused together. I will attempt to post pics. The GFI also had a little discoloration. The meter is rated at 15 amps and is UL approved.

Needless to say, I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
When I went to unplug the charger from a kill-o-watt meter that was plugged into, I could not unplug. Didn't want to unplug the meter or all the accumulated usage data would be lost. But in the end, I had to and when I saw the back of the meter, quite melted, I knew why I couldn't unplug it, they were fused together. I will attempt to post pics. The GFI also had a little discoloration. The meter is rated at 15 amps and is UL approved.
This type of failure by a Kill-o-watt meter is not unusual. I used one for a week to get an idea of my electric use and then I removed it. I did not trust it longer term. You could replace the melted male end with a new one from HD, Menards, Lowes, Amazon. That's what I would do if the dealer wanted to charge for a new EVSE.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts