GM Volt Forum banner

Another benefit of passing by the pump

3829 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  MTN Ranger
Another benefit of passing by the pump:

"71% of gas pump handles...highly contaminated"

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/story/2011-10-25/Study-Germs-on-gas-pumps-ATMs-and-more-could-make-you-sick/50903770/1
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
974 Posts
But what if a Volt owner needs to use the restroom?? I would suspect the handles there are highly contaminated as well.

On that note, the Volt's highway range is not limited by the size of the gas tank, but rather by the passenger in the car with the smallest bladder.

· Registered
6,211 Posts
Icky! :)

I've heard one of the worst places for sanitation is someone's computer keyboard.

Though, I've worked a day or two a week in NYC lately and it's a great city but definitely a petri-dish.

· Registered
2,251 Posts
I say, bring on the germs. It'll keep your immune system on its toes.

Am I the only one that thinks the proliferation of "anti-bacterial everything" is overall weakening our bodies? I really worry about kids, whose immune systems aren't even up to full strength yet. What's this trend doing to them/us?

Remember what your high-school football coach said when you'd skin your elbow? "Rub some dirt on it" ... haha! I never remember kids getting necrotising fasciitis or anything like that, when I was a young'un. Nowadays, it seems like meningitis and fun stuff like that is everywhere ... this sort of thing can kill kids, and often does. Maybe it happened, and it just didn't get publicity, who knows. Hmmm... food for thought, I suppose.

Anyway... by no means do I mean to I endorse frequent gas-pump visits :)
I just think germs there may not be a huge deal.

· Registered
1,501 Posts
I never remember kids getting necrotising fasciitis or anything like that, when I was a young'un. Nowadays, it seems like meningitis and fun stuff like that is everywhere ...
Could it be that there were only 3 tv channels in black and white when you were a young'un, so maybe the cases of necrotising didn't make the cut on the nightly news?

· Registered
6,211 Posts
I stepped on a rusty nail at 16 and didn't even get a tetanus shot. I used to get cuts all the time outside. I'd eat/breath dirt while riding motocross bikes. Bacteria are all around and 99.99% of them are not going to kill you. Just don't go into a hospital for an operation because a large # of deaths in the US come from infections picked up while *IN* a hospital.

Lick a doorknob - it'll grow hair on your chest. :)

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks the proliferation of "anti-bacterial everything" is overall weakening our bodies? I really worry about kids, whose immune systems aren't even up to full strength yet. What's this trend doing to them/us?
Nope. My college buddy George, the one we had to carry home every weekend, is in that camp, as am I. He's now part of the medical faculty at a major university where his specialty is infectious disease but common sense can't trump marketing.

This "let your kids eat dirt" theme is common with people who understand that killing off 99.99% of 100 million bacteria leaves 10,000 resistant super-bugs that replicate a lot faster than new anti-bacterial agents can be made.

Let your body do what it is designed to do - train it with weak bugs so when these bad ass bugs show up at least you have a chance.

Oh, and stay out of hospitals, with their MRSA and related nasty stuff.

· Registered
6,211 Posts
Had my son in the ER a month ago (kidney stones pain management) - anyway, one question they asked is if he ever had MRSA before. I have to wonder if they are checking for anyone who has had the disease before - maybe it does not ever go away and they consider you a potential danger if you have had it once?

· Registered
2,632 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks the proliferation of "anti-bacterial everything" is overall weakening our bodies?
No, you're definitely not. My doctor is also mostly in the "bring it on" camp. I'd *much* rather catch a flu than get a flu shot. Unfortunately, since I'm immune suppressed now (chemo, some 6 years ago) I begrudgingly acquiesce at his advice. I rarely got sick as a child, and brought my kids up pretty much the same way. Many of their friends get sick at the drop of a hat. My kids (knock on wood), not so much.

· Registered
2,715 Posts
I agree with you and RonC, killing 99% of the bugs most of the time, ends up making the 1% a lot more vicious. But I would just as soon skip touching pump handles if it means I have a Volt sitting at home, ready to be unplugged every morning! ;)

I say, bring on the germs. It'll keep your immune system on its toes.

Remember what your high-school football coach said when you'd skin your elbow? "Rub some dirt on it" ... haha! I never remember kids getting necrotising fasciitis or anything like that, when I was a young'un. Nowadays, it seems like meningitis and fun stuff like that is everywhere ... this sort of thing can kill kids, and often does. Maybe it happened, and it just didn't get publicity, who knows. Hmmm... food for thought, I suppose.

Anyway... by no means do I mean to I endorse frequent gas-pump visits :)
I just think germs there may not be a huge deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.