GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it is that time of year again and both my 2013s have the same problem again. Both just quit heating at some point (running on battery only). The wife's car quit heating one day for a whole day. After adjusting all the controls from ECO to Comfort and back again and temperature from HI to Low and back again it finally started working.

Now mine did the same thing yesterday. It had been working as usual and by usual I mean it will get so warm on ECO it can run you out of the cabin. Today was no different, it would not get warm. So I did the same thing changing all the controls up and down the scale. Then finally it kicked in and I have heat again.

Both of these cars originally had the faulty K10 units replaced as well as a software update for heating. But now appears something else is wrong or could be going wrong. I guess it is just the curse of the 13 MY.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ugh, don't say this. I just had our unit replaced Friday and now it has a new issue I believe to be an air pocket in the system. Last thing I need to think about is having this new one potentially fail out of warranty.

What about the 3 position valve some people have had replaced?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not had the 3 position valve replaced. I just think it is a systematic problem with 2013 but not sure what it is. Same thing happened tonight. The only thing that I have noticed is that I leave the house with the temperature set to HI then get to my destination and park. A couple hours later, get in and no heat. So I turn the temp down and then back up and magically I get heat.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I almost hate to reply here for fear of jinxing my Volt! But just so you all know, some 2013's have flawless heat. Mine's always worked great. I use 74° and Comfort, auto. Never any running up and down with the temp. In winter I do like to change the air to "face-foot" to get some heat on my hands. I do miss the steering wheel heat in my Leaf, although it didn't work very well. Scalding hot or off.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Mine likes to blow from the wrong vents. Had the dealer reprogram it a couple of times for a temporary fix. Pulling the 5 fuse works just as well. Does that help with your issues? Dealer said next step is replace heater module. But I don't like paying them to experiment.

Thinking about adding a switch to the circuit and giving up in a permanent fix.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Condolences. What a pain. I'm glad I got an earlier MY Volt before the heating system was "improved". And people say avoid the first MY!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Well, it is that time of year again and both my 2013s have the same problem again. Both just quit heating at some point (running on battery only). The wife's car quit heating one day for a whole day. After adjusting all the controls from ECO to Comfort and back again and temperature from HI to Low and back again it finally started working.

Now mine did the same thing yesterday. It had been working as usual and by usual I mean it will get so warm on ECO it can run you out of the cabin. Today was no different, it would not get warm. So I did the same thing changing all the controls up and down the scale. Then finally it kicked in and I have heat again.

Both of these cars originally had the faulty K10 units replaced as well as a software update for heating. But now appears something else is wrong or could be going wrong. I guess it is just the curse of the 13 MY.
Visit the dealer and keep us posted.

Saying '13 MY' is redundant.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I almost hate to reply here for fear of jinxing my Volt! But just so you all know, some 2013's have flawless heat. Mine's always worked great. I use 74° and Comfort, auto. Never any running up and down with the temp. In winter I do like to change the air to "face-foot" to get some heat on my hands. I do miss the steering wheel heat in my Leaf, although it didn't work very well. Scalding hot or off.
I also have to either run heat "face-foot" or just "face" to get maximum air flow to the back seats. When it works the heat does heat up quickly and using these settings with recirculate on it can get very toasty in the cabin.

The one thing my wife hates about the Volt is the climate system and I have to agree. I can make adjustments to suit me but she only likes the heat coming out of the floor vents.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My wife was complaining about the lack of heat in her 2015. I got into her car and she had it set to 85F and it felt like a sauna inside. She says, "See? No heat. I'm FREEZING in here." I think that some people are incapable of sensing heat if they've decided that they are cold. No amount of heat is going to change their minds. Just another perspective. I'm not trying to be disrespectful. Perception of temperature is a subjective matter. What the actual temperature is though can be measured accurately. I can't help you if the inside of the car is 85F and you're still cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts