GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using Android Auto on the Volt? When running Google Maps does it get the GPS info from the car's built in GPS or the phones? The Volt doesn't have a sunroof option so the phone is limited to getting it's GPS info through the windshield, so getting the GPS info from the car's antenna would work a lot better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also wondering about this on my 2017. I read in another thread that AA cannot use the car's GPS antenna but there wasn't anything to back that up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The GPS signal and everything associated with Android auto is done from your phone. Your Android auto head unit is just a remote display. Kind of like a computer monitor to a desktop computer

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is anyone using Android Auto on the Volt? When running Google Maps does it get the GPS info from the car's built in GPS or the phones? The Volt doesn't have a sunroof option so the phone is limited to getting it's GPS info through the windshield, so getting the GPS info from the car's antenna would work a lot better.
I use it every day. It uses the phone's GPS, works great.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I don't think I've ever had an issue where my phone doesn't get a GPS signal inside the Volt (unless I'm in a parking garage or a tunnel). It's more likely not to have a cell signal to connect to Google for map information - which is why I always keep an offline copy of the map for my area on my phone, and try to remember to download one if I make any trips out of it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use the android auto app. Seems to work fine. It switches me to Waze instead of google map which is what I prefer.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The GPS signal and everything associated with Android auto is done from your phone. Your Android auto head unit is just a remote display. Kind of like a computer monitor to a desktop computer
^This

I use navigation from AA all the time and I even store my phone in the pocket where the USB ports are: in front of the shifter. Never had a problem with my phone getting a GPS signal.

Mike

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use the android auto app. Seems to work fine. It switches me to Waze instead of google map which is what I prefer.
I've never had that happen, what type of phone do you have?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Actually Android Auto CAN take GPS data from the car if the manufacturer allows it. I suspect the Volt does share the info also. I usually keep my phone in the cubby hole just below the climate controls. I can recall few times if Waze or G-Maps was running when not connected to the car or with AA enabled that it would sometimes call out the GPS signal lost notification. Never had that when AA was actively running.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've never had that happen, what type of phone do you have?
This isn't dependent on the phone. When AA is open on the car pressing the NAV icon opens the last used NAV program. If you press the NAV icon again while it is already open, you will get a pop-up offering you a selection of which app to use.

If you have Waze installed you can then choose it and it will now be the default AA nav app.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Recently I started getting this GPS Signal Lost message while using Google Maps and Android Auto as I drive around. Sometimes it finds the GPS, sometimes it updates the directions but the grey message box still shows in the bottom right corner. Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Recently I started getting this GPS Signal Lost message while using Google Maps and Android Auto as I drive around. Sometimes it finds the GPS, sometimes it updates the directions but the grey message box still shows in the bottom right corner. Anyone else having this problem?
Not seeing that problem. Try the built in GPS to see if that's working. I think AA uses the car's GPS instead of the phones but I'm not sure. If the built in GPS is showing the same problem then my guess is that the connection to the antenna is at fault. Also is Sirius XM working, it probably uses the same antenna.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Easy way to find out is to put your phone in a GPS-blocking container of some sort (metal I assume) that allows the USB cable an exit spot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts